Would you like future Marshall amps to come with new varieties of Master Volumes ?

• Thread starter pat_rocks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Hi guys, what your favorite master volume and tell us why ?

I do believe that if marshall added new varieties of Master volumes for their classic amps it would be great like the josé master volume or the master volumes referenced in the trainwreck pages.

what do you think ?

Many think it would change the visual aspect of the classic to add a 7th knob however i don't think so. Moreover you could always add a back knob for it.

here i share the classic 80's Master Volume that you can do to any plexi and to other amps too :

If you like clean tones you better use a classic PPIMV if you like overdriven tones then the José Master volume is a great option and you can use it as a push pull to bring the circuit back to stock. It works really well and you don't need to install zeeners or transistors on it. I even prefer this master volume to attenuators and i'm not the only one.

Using diodes and transistors will increase the amount of clipping and distortion however it will taint your tone.
Recommended diodes : 1n4747 1n4749 / for transistors 2n5400 connect the collector and the emitor and break the remaining leg. The lower the VF of the diodes the more distortion you'll get.
The good thing with this master volume it's that even without the diodes your amp will really sound like it's on 10 but a lower volume.

josé volume.2024-03-01T01-43-44.png

I also decided to share the josé gain stage here is the classic version of the mod :
the Mod.png

brettt777

Reaction score
I just want a master volume that is AFTER the effects loop circuit like the older amps were. I have a 1989 JCM800 that's great... but the presence control is internal, mounted on the circuit board, and the master volume is BEFORE the effects loop so if you're just wanting to plug a preamp/pedal board into the power amp, you have full volume all the time.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
All new amps should have MV's IMO. They should also have a switch to put the MV before or after the effects loop. Too easy to do these days with modern technology and wouldn't be that expensive to incorporate it.

V-man

Reaction score
I’m actually pleasantly-surprised that some (any) other topic was broached, although I have yet to have come across a compelling MV feature I had to have on a MV amp, and feel they don’t belong on NMVs with the accessories we have now

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The MV that gives me exactly the same feel, sound, and responsiveness of a NMV amp but at any lower volume level I choose. Don't care how it works, just as long as it works LIKE THAT. Including allowing power stage grind to occur at low volumes. So....that's a challenge.