Your favorite grab-n-go Marshall combo

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need another amp like a hole in my head, but I’m thinking my next acquisition will be a small lightweight combo that I can use for impromptu jams or maybe even auditions (one day, when things get better). What do you use for this? What do you suggest?

I think I’d like something with a master volume so I can get a certain amount of drive at various volume levels. I’ve been looking for an old 4203 Artist, but maybe that’s not the best bet for what I want. What do you all think?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I need another amp like a hole in my head, but I’m thinking my next acquisition will be a small lightweight combo that I can use for impromptu jams or maybe even auditions (one day, when things get better). What do you use for this? What do you suggest?

I think I’d like something with a master volume so I can get a certain amount of drive at various volume levels. I’ve been looking for an old 4203 Artist, but maybe that’s not the best bet for what I want. What do you all think?
I'd suggest an MG50 for these situations, or if you gotta have tube a DSL20.

Yamariv

Reaction score
I've gotta suggest my Marshall DSL40C or the new CR! I am blessed with many cool amps that do different things but the DSL40C with a Creamback will do everything I need when playing out of the house..Great tones, two channels and will play any venue easily as the 40 watts is very loud and it fits in my front seat no problem

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
DSL20CR with an upgraded (your choice, to taste) speaker. It covers all the territory that a Deluxe Reverb can, and then some. It's got OK reverb and the added benefit of a good effects loop! While the 20 watt amps in the Studio Series sound great, it sure is nice having reverb available in a little grab n go, for a bit of variety! I call my DSL20CR my little Deluxe Reverb Slayer! I've installed a @JohnH attenuator in mine to allow the CLASSIC GAIN channel to be run wide open, without being too loud. For me, that's where this amp really shines, although the ULTRA GAIN channel can be fun at times in a jam situation!
Just My :2c: & Likely Worth Even Less!
Gene

ampeq

Reaction score

If you can wait for it without a doubt look at the 2202 combo by Ceriatone. It's a very nice 20w tube amp that covers a lot of Marshall tone and doesn't even need a pedal to do it. I put a GB128 Eminence speaker in mine and it sounds incredible, nice deep bass also with the resonance knob. It has a PPIMV, gain, and volume, it also has a boost built in, 3-way bright / clipping switch, fat switch, and the pussy trimmer. Amp and speaker about $1000, very easy grab and go, (with this speaker anyway) can be very loud or go down to bedroom level, has one of the best crunch sounds ever and can even do metal. With the Horse Breaker pedal they make it can do very nice blues or super heavy stuff, the Klon side makes an incredible boost or heavy drive but the BB side does some awesome blues tones. I bought this amp to mess around with but I love it, mine has a choke, NFB switch, and a buffered loop. (Don't bother with the NFB, does very little.) It was described to me as one of the best JCM800 type amps and I would say that is correct. Super versatile and ballsy.

Attachments

• SAM_1628.JPG
    SAM_1628.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 24
  • SAM_1630.JPG
    SAM_1630.JPG
    417.3 KB · Views: 22
  • SAM_1632.JPG
    SAM_1632.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 21
  • SAM_1636.JPG
    SAM_1636.JPG
    420 KB · Views: 21
  • SAM_1664.JPG
    SAM_1664.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 22

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

I second a 6101 combo. 3 channels, tube, very compact. A bit hefty but used shouldn't be any more than a Studio anything combo price wise. About as small as a 1x12 combo can be.
Failing that then possibly a DSL40 CR which gets a bit big amd hefty too or maybe the DSL20CR.
Anything from the old JCM800 series gets so loud so fast. MV but still..
MG series otherwise.

You want versatile and compact? Find a 6101. Obviously my favorite grab n go Marshall.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
For instant availability, maybe a DSL20CR.
At 36lb it's as 'grab and go' as you'll get with enough wattage to play out with.
A Neo speaker like the Neo V-Type would be an upgrade for the stock Seventy 80, and would shave another 3lbs off the weight to 33lbs.

A JHS Little Black Amp Box in the loop would act as a lightweight MV if you can live without an attenuator.

(a 6101 weighs 75lbs+) :run:

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
For instant availability, maybe a DSL20CR.
At 36lb it's as 'grab and go' as you'll get with enough wattage to play out with.
A Neo speaker like the Neo V-Type would be an upgrade for the stock Seventy 80, and would shave another 3lbs off the weight to 33lbs.

A JHS Little Black Amp Box in the loop would act as a lightweight MV if you can live without an attenuator.

(a 6101 weighs 75lbs+) :run:
The speaker is much of tne weight in a 6101. I changed mine out. Still heavy but more dense than anything because of the compact size.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Why did they feel the need to install a 300W speaker anyhow?
Most Marshall combos get 150% coverage max, not 300%!
Mine had a 200 watt Celestion S303 Gold. Apparently the US versions had a 150 watt something - EV? Eminence? Can't recall. Heavy speakers, huge magnets.
Thing is it has a 50 watt mode which is more than enough for most things especially a grab n go type thing. so I chose a T75. I also have the matching 1x12 cab if ever required.

EDIT I just looked up the speakers. Looks like around 21 lbs for the S303, the T75 is around 7.7 so 13 lbs difference puts the new weight around 60 - 62 lbs, hefty for the size but does have side handles.
The DSL40CR is 50 lbs so for me, the extra bulk of the 40CR kinda offsets the difference in weight.
But yes, the 6101 is certainly not a lightweight amp. Compare to a head and 2x12 though...

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have a Mesa MkIV combo. Probably 80-85 lbs, with a top handle. That was a bitch to carry. The 6101 would be better with the side handles, I imagine. Still, lighter would be nice. I feel like a 30th Anniversary would be great to have, but not necessarily for grab n go use.