Your Strings

• Thread starter rocknforchrist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rocknforchrist

Reaction score
Im interested in what strings everyone uses. I've been using GHS Boomers since i was 15.....errr along time. I started playing 9's back then. 20 yrs later playing 12's! My band tunes to Drop C for most of our music so had to go with a heavier string. I can honestly say i only break strings maybe once or twice a year. I change strings every 3 weeks or before a show. Tried changing to D'Addario but kept breaking them. Who else!?!?!?

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Im interested in what strings everyone uses. I've been using GHS Boomers since i was 15.....errr along time. I started playing 9's back then. 20 yrs later playing 12's! My band tunes to Drop C for most of our music so had to go with a heavier string. I can honestly say i only break strings maybe once or twice a year. I change strings every 3 weeks or before a show. Tried changing to D'Addario but kept breaking them. Who else!?!?!?

Honestly it depends largely on the guitar for me but, i generaly use DR hi-Beams and SIT Power wounds. I use 11-50/11-54's for drop-C. I know My Peavey Axcelerator AX only sounds right with boomers but, most of my guitars (mahogany bodied) sound best with those two types and i've noticed the SIT's sound better on the ones with Ebony fretboards IE my goth SG and My Jackson SLSMG. Boomers do great with the scooped mids though which is why the AX works...baseball bat northern ash body. I started with D'Addario's but, i broke them alot and they were too toppy. the SIT's are rounder and the hi beams are richer. I only break strings now when there's a burr on my guitar somewhere i need to sand my bridge on the SLSMG :(

Hayride13

Reaction score
I'll be the freak around here. I play flatwounds, D'Adarrio Chromes in .11 to be exact and swap the 3rd out for a plain.

Heavy Metal

Reaction score
Dean Markley custom lights .09 - .046 I use this gauge on all but two of my guitars on my Les Paul and Strat I use Dean Markley heavy bottoms light tops .010 - .052

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
.012 .016 .024(plain) .032 .044 .056 ernie ball not-even-slinky's..
these are supposed to be optimised for detuning, but i play them in the standard E-tuning

dugger

Reaction score
Good chord/fretboard intonation is my number one priority when it comes to string choice
and The DARCO Electrics deliver on my guitar.
Years ago, I was having trouble with dis-chording on a guitar I had, and nothing seemed to help as much as trying these strings that a friend recommended.
At that time I was an avid D'Ad. user.
I too put new set on for every show 90% of time.
I use the 9.5's but replace the E with a .010

rocknforchrist

Reaction score
Darco? Never heard of them. Chord/fretboard intonation is high on my list too. I am a rhythm player and do alot of barred chords and there's nothing worse than hitting a chord and hearing a string continually be flat or just not sound right. Thats another thing i check intonation about everyother time i change strings (obsess much!). Yeah if i see some darco's this next year at the Dallas guitar show i'll pick em up and try em out.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
.010-.046 Fender Nickel - Plated Steel or Bullets. Made in USA. Sound Great.

As a younger man I used .011-.052. After a while I realized that as much as I was playing at the time I was Destroying my frets needlessly so I reduced the gauge. Anything less than what I use now just doesn't carry the tone for me though.

David :jam:

dugger

Reaction score
Darco? Never heard of them. Chord/fretboard intonation is high on my list too. I am a rhythm player and do alot of barred chords and there's nothing worse than hitting a chord and hearing a string continually be flat or just not sound right. Thats another thing i check intonation about everyother time i change strings (obsess much!). Yeah if i see some darco's this next year at the Dallas guitar show i'll pick em up and try em out.

Yeah, they're made by CF Martin...Try 'em
When it comes to all the things I use for guitar playing, I can be sure these won't let me down.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
For electric - GHS Boomers, always. Various gauges for various tunings / guitars.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I have been all over the place with strings. There isn't much I haven't tried and I keep coming back to GHS Boomers. 10's are my usual these days.

truckdub

Reaction score
Ernie Ball and Dunlop's in 10 guage for my strats, LP and Tele. 9's for my Floyd equipped guitars. Once I run through my Ernies will probably switch exclusively to Dunlops. Even, bright, and last quite nicely.

Dave666

Reaction score
Started with D'addario and used them for almost 10years, then 1 day I changed to EB's, I liked the 011-052 sets..
Now in the studio, there was something I didn't like, so I changed back to D'addario (013-056) and they rock again...
For live gigging I like the 'bendness' of the EB's...

Correct me if I use odd words in my posts, I'm a little crazy and trippin' on too much coffee lately.... :Ohno:

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
This: (for my #1)

Skinny%20Top,%20Heavy%20bottom.jpg

But they seem to destroy the frets (As David said), so I think I'll go back to 10s