100w and 50w - Which Sounds Bigger?

• Thread starter 8bit Barry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am gassing pretty hard for an JCM900 SLX right now, but I wanted to ask if anyone can tell me if the 100w of this particular amp sounds deeper / bigger than the 50w?

I only play my heads through the Ironman II attenuator (or I would be 52 and deaf) but my own amplifiers don't seem to match any kind of pattern of sound stage / wattage. This prompted a general question...

The reason I ask is my 50w 2204 has never really had much bass, but enough let's say, but then none of them really do. My 50w 1987x on the other hand has plenty of bass and sounds very big. Then there is my 100w Super PA (recently modded to Super Lead) which has masses of bass. My brother in law's 100w JCM900 Dual Reverb I have borrowed isn't particularly bassy (but sounds ballsy).

It doesn't seem like I can conclude 50w has less bass / depth than 100w, it just depends on the amp type.

I don't know much about the SLX at the moment other than I like what I hear online - would a 50w or 100w make a difference with this particular model?

Last edited:

What?

Reaction score
I have heard 50 watters sound huge, and the other way around for 100 watters. And just the opposite for both. Part of it was likely due to the cabs being used. But yea, I also think it's on an amp by amp basis.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I am gassing pretty hard for an JCM900 SLX right now, but I wanted to ask if anyone can tell me if the 100w of this particular amp sounds deeper / bigger than the 50w?

I only play my heads through the Ironman II attenuator (or I would be 52 and deaf) but my own amplifiers don't seem to match any kind of pattern to sound stage / wattage. This prompted a general question...

The reason I ask is my 50w 2204 has never really had much bass, but enough let's say, but then non of them do. My 50w 1987x on the other hand has plenty of bass and sounds very big. Then there is my 100w Super PA (recently modded to Super Lead) which has masses of bass. My brother in law's 100w JCM900 Dual Reverb i have borrowed isn't particularly bassy (but sounds ballsy).

It doesn't seem like I can conclude 50w has less bass than 100w, it just depends on the amp.

I don't know much about the SLX at the moment other than I like what I hear online - would a 50w or 100w make a difference with this particular model?
Typically, I've found that 100w amps sound "fuller". That said, I do like the 50w versions of some amps, and the JCM900's fall into that category, at least for me. I've had the 100w SL-X, and now have the 50w, which I prefer over the 100w. My 50w has 5881's which do make a difference. 5881's have a tighter and more pronounced low end than EL34's.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a had SL-X 2500 ( 50w ). It doesn't get too huge on the bottom even cranking the Bass. I always have an MXR 10 Band EQ at ready for a bit more sculpting. However, my DSL50 and DSL100 both absolutely sound FANTASTIC on the bottom end. FWIW - the speaker/cabs will play a big role.
That's really interesting and good advice - I really haven't looked at the DSL range. I have two 4x12 cabs - a late 60's 1960a which has such a wonderful bass end / highs and also an Orange with creambacks which is much more mid focused - the Super PA is perfect for this cab and way too much for the 1960a.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typically, I've found that 100w amps sound "fuller". That said, I do like the 50w versions of some amps, and the JCM900's fall into that category, at least for me. I've had the 100w SL-X, and now have the 50w, which I prefer over the 100w. My 50w has 5881's which do make a difference. 5881's have a tighter and more pronounced low end than EL34's.
That's really interesting - I was really amazed at how much weight the 1987x has when I bought it.

Crikey

Reaction score

I only play my heads through the Ironman II attenuator (or I would be 52 and deaf) but my own amplifiers don't seem to match any kind of pattern of sound stage / wattage. This prompted a general question...

The reason I ask is my 50w 2204 has never really had much bass, but enough let's say, but then none of them really do. My 50w 1987x on the other hand has plenty of bass and sounds very big. Then there is my 100w Super PA (recently modded to Super Lead) which has masses of bass. My brother in law's 100w JCM900 Dual Reverb I have borrowed isn't particularly bassy (but sounds ballsy).

It doesn't seem like I can conclude 50w has less bass / depth than 100w, it just depends on the amp type.

get the 100. when I turn on my 4100 you can feel the amp move as power switch is turned on. mine has a half power switch so if I want 50 I can hit the half power switch.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the 80/100 watters into my cabs sound bigger. I see some saying fuller. The 50 watter a bit smaller. Which is why the 20 watters have been disappointing to me. Their same tone is much smaller, less punch and thump. Leaves me craving more always. Love their tones though.

I prefer at least a 50 watter and up. My favorite playing experiences at home or get togethers.

Also with 50 watters you're saving money only having to buy 2 power tubes as opposed to 4. That matters for some of us vs a lil less openness or girth. With my cabs and speakers it would be a negligible compromise.

The thump of my 80/100 watt amps is addictive too! Depends on the amp. My 80 watt 5150 Iconic annihilates my 50 watt boosted Origin in biggness/thump. It really opens up at volume. Like my 900 DR 4100 did when volume hit a certain spot. Love that shit! I play at volume most of the time at home. I wouldn't if gigging.

Deftone

Reaction score
I have a 50w SLX, I love it. My only 100w is a 2555.

I would say the main difference to me (home player only) is the 100w is a little bit more sensitive to volume changes. Like @Neptical said, speakers/cab will make more of a difference IMHO.

Given the choice, I would always opt for a 50w for what I do. That said, I wouldn't turn down a good 100w. More important (or equally important) question to me would be 5881 or EL34?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I find the 80/100 watters into my cabs sound bigger. I see some saying fuller. The 50 watter a bit smaller. Which is why the 20 watters have been disappointing to me. Their same tone is much smaller, less punch and thump. Leaves me craving more always. Love their tones though.

I prefer at least a 50 watter and up. My favorite playing experiences at home or get togethers.

Also with 50 watters you're saving money only having to buy 2 power tubes as opposed to 4. That matters for some of us vs a lil less openness or girth. With my cabs and speakers it would be a negligible compromise.

The thump of my 80/100 watt amps is addictive too! Depends on the amp. My 80 watt 5150 Iconic annihilates my 50 watt boosted Origin in biggness/thump. It really opens up at volume. Like my 900 DR 4100 did when volume hit a certain spot. Love that shit! I play at volume most of the time at home. I wouldn't if gigging.
Exactly. A good 50w will typically give that "punch", and a 100w, even better. 20w, base tone is there, but punch and fullness is "meh" (IMO).

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
To me 100W'ers are fuller. But its not just more bass or lowend. There is a feel to 100w amps, I call it "the bounce" cause it feels like your pick attack bounces back at you. Its a glorious thing. But 50W'ers are nice too, more wraaanng and less Brrraaaaang.......(thats probably not describing what Im talkinmg about LOL) its a differant feel.

abkeller1

Reaction score
I have a had SL-X 2500 ( 50w ). It doesn't get too huge on the bottom even cranking the Bass. I always have an MXR 10 Band EQ at ready for a bit more sculpting. However, my DSL50 and DSL100 both absolutely sound FANTASTIC on the bottom end. FWIW - the speaker/cabs will play a big role.
So true however the Marshall tone was Always about the Mids not the low end. That's what a bass player is for.