12BY7 as a low watt output tube

• Thread starter RiverRatt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I built a little amp a while back. I got it working and put it aside. I got it out this weekend and got it dialed in.

It’s a tweed type SE circuit, and I used a 12BY7 pentode. The 12BY7 is used as a driver tube in ham radio gear. It makes a pretty sweet output tube. I guess it sounds more like an EL34 than anything else. The tone stack is called Ray Bone. It has a Treble and a Warp control.

I used transformers that I had pulled from audio gear, and the PT was pretty low voltage. I had 157VDC on the plate, and 132 on the screen. The cathode resistor was 50R with a 50uf bypass cap. I played around and came up with a 470K grid leak resistor.

I would really like to hear a pair of them in push pull. The SE amp I built is fairly loud for what it is. I’ll definitely keep this one around but I want to build something with a 1987 preamp and two output tubes.

D2uqfaH.jpeg

Chappy

Reaction score
6AK6, El91/6AM5 are other options for low power pentode tubes. A 5W JCM 800 style build using these tubes is next in line on my project list. 6V6s output tubes with an attenuator will be my backup plan.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
There are countless choices. I have so many sweep tubes to try that I’ll never get around to trying them all. One that really worked well was a 6CM6. It sounds like a big bottle tube. I think Guitar-Rocker is working on a push-pull 6CM6 amp. I also have some RCA black plate 6DQ6 that I want to use in a Blackface build. They are really nice looking and that top plate cap is just too cool.