15" guitar speakers who makes em?

• Thread starter Felipfrom212
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Felipfrom212

Reaction score
I was wondering what company makes 15" guitar speakers

I know ive seen those dimebag 2x15 randall cabs but never check what speakers are in them

Felipfrom212

Reaction score
I have seen Randall RS215W claimed as having Jaguars or Legends. Were the Jaguars actually Eminence Legends?

Eminence
Jensen
Weber Speakers
Warehouse Guitar Speakers
JBL Professional

im looking in those WGS speakers the 15's sound good from the sound clips but im sure they'll be different once i get them i figured with guitar centers return policy ill be able to try them out and see if i like them

GIBSON67

Reaction score
The Delta Pro from Eminence is a great guitar speaker. EV 15 inch speaker are hard to beat, too.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Basically i want a 15'' v30

I was going to add vintage JBL D130F speakers but they will need the right cone for a vintage feel. It has been mentioned.
If you want something a little lighter then vintage Jensen P15N or something similar from CTS, Oxford, Utah and other defunct companies.

Of course there are current production speakers that are of the same variety by speaker companies mentioned above.

Metroman

Reaction score
I was going to add vintage JBL D130F speakers but they will need the right cone for a vintage feel. It has been mentioned.
If you want something a little lighter then vintage Jensen P15N or something similar from CTS, Oxford, Utah and other defunct companies.

Of course there are current production speakers that are of the same variety by speaker companies mentioned above.

You cant get an original DF cone anymore.. They are long gone as are the K series cones.

I would never deface an original DF cone of any kind.

But I would a K or E series.:shred::applause::hbang::wave::yesway:

All the cones available for DF and K are the E series cones.. and while I am an E series advocate the DF series is not the same speaker when you put an E cone on it. And there is no substitute

The E series 120 Cone is 300 dollars not including labor. CRE8120 I believe is the code

the E130 cone Is more expensive
than the hemp cone.

The cost to recone a JBL E130 in hemp is 250 dollars and 30 dollars shipping

a working E130 on Ebay right now is 169.

There are no blown 1's at the moment.

A Brown Soun ( Tone Tubby ) Thomas Brown... took the 2 perfectly good E series cones off of my E120's and put hemp cones on them.. It was worth it.

Now I have speakers that are good for about anything. Clean... Overdrive... High wattage capacity... 103db efficiency 1w/1/m takes peals as good or better than any speaker and is unrivaled in efficiency and power capability

I also don't want any speaker distortion. I want all the overdrive coming from the amp and or pedals. My sound city 4 x 12 cabinet with the E120's is good for 1200 watts and the dual showman is only putting out 100.

Add to that 103bd efficiency and then more onto that when you add speakers you have a tone and volume monster. It doesn't take much to make it loud.

I know that if you have 1 E120 - 103db speaker 1w/1m and then add another 1 it gives you 2 more db's. and then if you have 2 more ??

I don't know what the trade off is but it is the loudest cabinet Ive EVER heard.

If you have 1 E130 it is 105db.. if you add another 1 it is 108db!!!!!!

I guess all of you can see Im rather long winded... but I could be a salesman for JBL if they still made the E series:shred::D

Sometimes it is hard to find blown E130's and if I had to I would buy 1 that works and have it reconed.

If I had the money of course. But I would save until I had the money for what I wanted unless it was an emergency and I had to have something.

and as great as my E120's are I have to believe the E130's with a hemp cone on them would be nothing short of tremendous. and 105db 1/w/1/m
also If you do decide to use a JBL E130... You must make sure you Use The Proper Cabinet size.

I can only imagine 4 of these in an oversize marshall cabinet.. and I have 4 x 12 E120's in a 1971 Sound City cabinet.. but non hemp cone.

I took 2 I had lying around and sent them to A Brown for a test. Now I want all of them hemp coned.:D

Thomas Brown told me Santana has 7 of the E120's with the hemp cones and said the hemp cone makes them take pedals really well. He promised me I wouldn't be disappointed.

I saw no reason to recone them if they were not going to help the original speaker take pedals better.

The originals do take pedals really well. but you just have to have a good amp and EQ it properly... But they can have some transient highs when you use a lot od distortion or O.D.

But No More with the H.C.'s

If you like Tone Tubby you will love these. And alot of great artists that use Marshalls use Tone Tubby.

I had Tim Metzger at TRM Speaker cabinets make me a Thiele ( 2 of them ) type enclosure... and not the slightly smaller Mesa Design....

It was originally designed for the EV EVM 12L and is mistakenly called a Thiele cabinet... because it is designed around the Thiele Parameters of resonant frequency, Q ect...

The cabinet will be all 3/4 inch 13 ply voind free Baltic birch.

Its also important to get the Baffle 3/4 inal also as the JBL's are HEAVY and you will warp the voice coil if the baffle is not strong enough.

That's the main reason JBLs get blow and because the voice coil gap is so precise and don't like to be deformed.

But the JBL is Very similar the the EV so I went with this cabinet design... JBL also recommends a ported cabinet for the E series and has a site where they give the proper volume and porting specs ect.

also on most JBL's the +- terminals are bass akwards.

Red is Negative and Black is positive.

Tim also made the Cabinet with a 3 piece Modular back so I can .. Close off the ports and use it as a sealed back, I can use it Ported, I can take 1 back panel off and use it as a semi open back.. and then take off the 2nd panel off and use it as a full open back.

or I can use any combination of the above.

The E120 is good for 300 Watts RMS in a closed back and 150 in an open back.

Same as the E130.

But I would have Tim Make this design cabinet but Increase the internal volume and use different port size than the cabinet made for the 12 inch speaker.

I will also eventually get at least 1 of these myself but Ive spent a fortune this year on gear and Im going to have to eat beans and rice all summer.. or longer.

and I need a Metro Amps 4 x 12 JTM 45/100 cabinet ( it will have to wait ) for my Metro GMP45 limited edition clone with Genlex NOS tubes. I bought it 3 days ago and it will be here Saturday.

I run a 69 Dual Showman reverb that was blackfaced by Richie Hall of Hallamplification... and he put a Dumble O.D. mod in the 2nd channel. all NOS Glass.

But for real

get the E130. Have it Hemp coned and get a proper cabinet for it and it will last a lifetime if you don't abuse it..

SRV used an E 130 with No Hemp cone in his Vibroverb and also into his Vibrotone. he used E110's in his Super Reverbs.

Then when JBL quit making high end guitar speakers he went with the EVM 12L-15M and 10M..

A Brown Soun is also known as Tone Tubby.

Jeff Beck uses them, Santana, Robin Trower, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Steve Morse. Van Halen

But when you hemp cone a JBL its like having the Ultimate Tone Tubby they Never Made.

He also claims great success at reconing Celestions with hemp.

I also recommend an Altec Lansing 418-8H. There is no hemp cone available for them

Ive had 2 of these in a 73 carvin cabinet since I blew the CTS out of it 5 minutes after I unpacked the amp from the boxes. They have never given me 1 problem. I bought them new.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
So are you confirming that a hemp recone has more of a "Vintage" sound and feel than an original D130F cone?
The D130F cones were made for clarity and not breakup.
I think that is what Felip is trying to obtain.

A good speaker repair person can research and adapt the best available usable parts.

Here is some additional information since I mentioned them previously. Most vintage Jensen, CTS, Oxford, Utah and other AlNiCo speakers of that sort are low power with ratings generally in the 7 to 25 watt range. Only the very large magnet ones were capable of 35 to 45 watts especially if original. So be very careful and conservative if using or trying original cone vintage speakers.

VanR

Reaction score
The 16 ohm 15" in the Peavey Delta Blues is a great sounding speaker. You can order them from Peavey $119 I believe.

Metroman

Reaction score
What amp is the OP running ???????

If you put 2 of these in a 2 x 15 cabinet you need a Big Cabinet and a Heavy Baffle..3/4 in. Baltic Birch.

The hemp cone warms it up and takes the high end spike out of it and refines the highs... That's the word. Refined The JBL lacks real refined highs because it just wants mainly clean and can tend to be spikey in the transient highs if you overdrive you amp ect. You can EQ it out ,but I think the Hemp cone is a big improvement.

I am only familiar with the E series. with and without hemp cones. The E series is a ceramic magnet and the DF and K series are Alnico.

Weber consideres the JBL D120F the best sounding 12 ever. But he also may never have heard a JBL E with a hemp cone.

also unless you are running a really powerful amp these speakers aint going to breakup.. At All.

A Brown says he has exact replica D E and K series cones so he may be on to something. They've been in business since 74.

I cant say anything about the D130F or the K series with a hemp cone but Thomas at A. Brown says that they are great for any series JBL and makes for a smoother and more pedal friendly speaker. no ice picky spikes and not as hifi but also nothing taken away from the great JBL cleans. Its king of clean... but now its King of Overdrive. More mid range.

They also work very well for Celestions.

I don't think you can get more vintage sounding than an original cone D130F.. It is what it is. But it can be improved upon.

The hemp cone is also much more durable than paper.

The hemp cones make them have much more polished highs, big low end and Monster mids and they blast you through the mix. Im sold on them.

Unless you have a very powerful amplifier you will never push the JBL's into speaker breakup/distortion. No Way.

1 E120 will take on any 100 watt amp in a closed back cabinet. they are good for 300 watts. not a puny 20-50 watts.

I personally could never live with a CTS, Jensen Utah, oxford ect unless they were in a Really Low powered amp.

I went through this back in the 70's and is the reason I started with Altec Lansing. I blew brand new CTS in my Carvin amp I had waited for for 3 months.

I got it and dimed it and the speakers instantly blew.

Same thing with a Kustom 50 with a 12in. Jensen.

it was not durable and didn't last long.

these speakers are ok in a low powered amp but for my purposes will not hold up and they don't do pedals worth a crap. IMHO.

Last edited:

Felipfrom212

Reaction score
What amp is the OP running ???????

If you put 2 of these in a 2 x 15 cabinet you need a Big Cabinet and a Heavy Baffle..3/4 in. Baltic Birch.

The hemp cone warms it up and takes the high end spike out of it and refines the highs... That's the word. Refined The JBL lacks real refined highs because it just wants mainly clean and can tend to be spikey in the transient highs if you overdrive you amp ect. You can EQ it out ,but I think the Hemp cone is a big improvement.

I am only familiar with the E series. with and without hemp cones. The E series is a ceramic magnet and the DF and K series are Alnico.

Weber consideres the JBL D120F the best sounding 12 ever. But he also may never have heard a JBL E with a hemp cone.

also unless you are running a really powerful amp these speakers aint going to breakup.. At All.

A Brown says he has exact replica D E and K series cones so he may be on to something. They've been in business since 74.

I cant say anything about the D130F or the K series with a hemp cone but Thomas at A. Brown says that they are great for any series JBL and makes for a smoother and more pedal friendly speaker. no ice picky spikes and not as hifi but also nothing taken away from the great JBL cleans. Its king of clean... but now its King of Overdrive. More mid range.

They also work very well for Celestions.

I don't think you can get more vintage sounding than an original cone D130F.. It is what it is. But it can be improved upon.

The hemp cone is also much more durable than paper.

The hemp cones make them have much more polished highs, big low end and Monster mids and they blast you through the mix. Im sold on them.

Unless you have a very powerful amplifier you will never push the JBL's into speaker breakup/distortion. No Way.

1 E120 will take on any 100 watt amp in a closed back cabinet. they are good for 300 watts. not a puny 20-50 watts.

I personally could never live with a CTS, Jensen Utah, oxford ect unless they were in a Really Low powered amp.

I went through this back in the 70's and is the reason I started with Altec Lansing. I blew brand new CTS in my Carvin amp I had waited for for 3 months.

I got it and dimed it and the speakers instantly blew.

Same thing with a Kustom 50 with a 12in. Jensen.

it was not durable and didn't last long.

these speakers are ok in a low powered amp but for my purposes will not hold up and they don't do pedals worth a crap. IMHO.

i have two of them they are sunn 215s cabs but one sounds pretty good with my sunn beta lead and the other doesn't sound very good with my marshall SLX

i stack them on top of each other on their sides and the top cab (not very good sounding one) will be the one i switch speakers

00303_2h72JieFwmi_600x450.jpg

Metroman

Reaction score
If you used a High efficiency driver like a JBL you wont be able to hear your other cabinet unless you are close to it.

What speakers are in it and which to be replaced ?

To me if you are going to mix speakers I would get them to be as close as possible in efficiency or 1 you may never hear or it might make it sound like a radio ( Tinny-Thin) if 1 speaker is a lot more efficient than the other 1.

I would rather have 1 E130 with a Hemp cone than any 2 other 15 inch speakers except for a JBL E120.

and they beat the crap out of my Altecs for Efficiency.

I believe my Altecs are 99-100db efficiency and the JBL is 105db !!!!! Which is HUGE. 5db louder.

but I will also add that if you have a noisey amp the JBL will make it even noiseier because of the efficiency.

anything noisey Will be picked up.

Felipfrom212

Reaction score
If you used a High efficiency driver like a JBL you wont be able to hear your other cabinet unless you are close to it.

What speakers are in it and which to be replaced ?

To me if you are going to mix speakers I would get them to be as close as possible in efficiency or 1 you may never hear or it might make it sound like a radio ( Tinny-Thin) if 1 speaker is a lot more efficient than the other 1.

I would rather have 1 E130 with a Hemp cone than any 2 other 15 inch speakers except for a JBL E120.

and they beat the crap out of my Altecs for Efficiency.

I believe my Altecs are 99-100db efficiency and the JBL is 105db !!!!! Which is HUGE. 5db louder.

but I will also add that if you have a noisey amp the JBL will make it even noiseier because of the efficiency.

anything noisey Will be picked up.

00v0v_da8JXL8zMDs_600x450.jpg

these are the speakers that are in it im only replacing one of the cabs speakers cause they don't sound very good to my ears the other one sounds great i use a sunn beta lead with it tonight im going to run both cabs through the sunn and see how it sounds if i like it then im just going to keep it as is

SG~GUY

Reaction score
there's a quad of CELESTION GREENBACK 15" er's on ebay as we speak...there big $$$$

Latest posts