• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

1959HW through a 2x12 1936 cab with 2 V30s - possibly too much for speakers

• Thread starter fairlane67
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fairlane67

Reaction score
so , i have the bernie marsdens edition of the 1959HW amp and its matching 1936 cabinet. came from marshall as a matching set and loaded with two vintage 30s
i play this amp near dimed at all times (8-9) on the volume.
most times though a rivera rockcrusher attenautor.
this doesnt cause me any issues

HOWEVER, on occasions when i take the attenuator our of the loop and play it straight in to the cab. the speakers begin to smell like burning electronics. takes maybe five minutes.
i know this is the voice coil getting too hot so i stop.

marshall tech was no help with this

my question is, two V30s are about 120 watts of speakers. Marshall paired them with an amp that can smoke that number.

is it just too much to ask for those two speakers to handle a dimed superlead. to me this seems like the same issue as running 4 greenbacks in a half stack. that didnt work in the 60s and 70s and this is about the same thing.

my work around will likely be to run 2 - 2x12 cabs and see if that takes care of it.

1. has anyone found the limits on V30s?
2. has someone measure the produced wattage of a superlead set on about 9

thank you for any insight.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my question is, two V30s are about 120 watts of speakers.

is it just too much to ask for those two speakers to handle a dimed superlead.
:welcome: to the forum.
Short answer is yes.
100w amps can exceed 100w output in certain circumstances.
Speaker power handling ratings are generally fairly conservative, but running a dimed Superlead into a pair of 60w speakers could easily exceed their capacity to dissipate that much energy.

Standby - smarter people will probably explain this in more detail.

my work around will likely be to run 2 - 2x12 cabs and see if that takes care of it.
Solid plan. :yesway:
More speakers, or higher rated speakers, are both solutions.

Latest posts