• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

I need a speaker recommendation

• Thread starter Nuts
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Hello everyone !
I have a 2X12 Marshall 1936 cab that has 2 celestion G12T75.
When I play guitar solos on the distortion channel- the high notes sounds thin with too much high end
I want to change one of the speakers to something with less treble than the G12T75
I don't know anything about speaker models, and what wattage or ohms does it need to be
So what speaker would match a 2 X 12 cab with one G12T75 ?
Thanks !
As @Geeze said, If you can fill out my recommendation form I can help you get the tones you want from your rig.

RLW59

Reaction score
Since you have another cab with two other types of speakers, it's free to try mixing a G12T75 with a Marshall Vintage and then try a G12T75 with the Marshall Heritage.

You might find that one of them is a great pairing. Or you might find that one G12T75 is one too many and pursue a pair of replacements instead.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
yea, maybe thin is not the right word...I'm looking for something darker :)
I'm not sure how old they are, I bought them 2nd hand, 10 years ago
What about twiddling your EQ knobs, cant you dial in a tone you like?

I dont find 75's to be bright at all, mine are the newer version as of the last 20 or so years, do you have the older version? Ive never used the old ones maybe they are brighter?

Nuts

Reaction score
What about twiddling your EQ knobs, cant you dial in a tone you like?

I dont find 75's to be bright at all, mine are the newer version as of the last 20 or so years, do you have the older version? Ive never used the old ones maybe they are brighter?
The treble and the presence knobs are almost at zero.
I'm not saying it's bad at all, I just think the other cab sounds better and I'm trying to improve my 1936

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
OK that explains alot, put a patch cable in the loop and then dial your tone in! Check your bias too make sure its not cold. What guitar you using, single coils or humbuckers?

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Holler at @Scumback Speakers - Jim has a wide range of Celestion clones in multiple wattage ratings and has a great questionnaire for helping with getting you the right fit.

Russ
Maybe too late for this thread, but I just installed this Scumback in my Marshall JCM800 4010.

I wanted to add some bottom end and fullness to the amp’s tone.

I am very happy with the speaker. Another plus, is that the speaker is pre-broken-in prior to shipment. That is huge for me, since I want to use the amp right away.

IMG_9926.jpeg

Last edited:

Nuts

Reaction score
put a patch cable in the loop and then dial your tone in!
wait what ? a patch cable in the effect loop ? can you explain ?
I'm using all kinds of guitars, but it happens even with humbuckers

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I dont have a 900 but every 900 owner says the same thing, put a patch cable in your loop and adjust the loop level knob to fix your tone. Try it!

Google it, its all over the web if you want to read about it :yesway:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
From send to return jacks.