• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

1960 cab w/Greenback : older vs newer

• Thread starter Thames
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thames

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the chance to grab a 1960AX cab locally, with recent chinese Greenbacks. For the same price I can get an older 1960AC (all black) with older 90s UK Greenbacks.

I havent read much about the recent chinese Gb so whatd be the best deal you think ? I really prefer the older style AX cab, but the allblack one is ok too.

EL 34

Reaction score
it's a dilemma because i also like the style of the ax cab over the a/av/ac. i use english made greenbacks and i think they're great. some people say there is zero sonic difference between the english and chinese made versions. apparently celestion pays close attention to the quality control in china.

what have you read about the chinese greenbacks?

Last edited:

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I don't think there is a sonic difference, so go with what looks more pleasing to your eye, especially at the same price.

damienbeale

Reaction score
The early 90's British greenback reissues used a different cone to the later ones. THESE may be sonically superior, but from mid 90's onwards they're all going to be much the same.

george76

Reaction score
yeah the 90's cones are meant to be the better sounding ones. stamped 6402. made by mueller uk. the chinese cones are now made by u-sonic i think.

EL 34

Reaction score
:hmm: i wonder if my GBs from 1997 are mueller cones.

george76

Reaction score
the heritage speakers are still made in uk. some reissue marshall cabs have those fitted i think.

if your label just says "celestion UK" on it then that does not mean it was made in uk, it has to actually say "Made in UK" on it.

soundboy57

Reaction score
From my experience, first reissue greenbacks had the 6402 cone until about 1999-2000...When I was looking for a B cab to match my 1995 slant, this is what I found. after looking at several.
The move to China was around 2003-2004.

I have never compared them to the newer ones.... all I know is that they
sound great, even compared to the pulsonics.
Brighter, and more edge...but in a good way, and yes they are well broken in.

They don't quite have that sweet midrange that the old pre 74 ones do, though.
I would say they are a bit stiffer in feel, as well.

My two cents

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Nice score, I love my 425A. I compared my G12C's to a pair of Blackback G12M's and thought they were very close in sound so I sold the blackbacks.

One day I will have some early pulsonics, one day...

EL 34

Reaction score
the ax will sound bitching for that music. it also sounds good even with some extra gain.

Latest posts