1964/5 jtm45

• Thread starter WillTill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WillTill

Reaction score
Hi,

I have inherited my late father JTM45, and know nothing about amps. I took it over to Marshall in Bletchley this morning for them to give it the once over.

They gave it the once over and said it is in very good condition - 1 foot missing, 1 screw washer missing at rear, a few cosmetic scratches, and has held together very well, with no cracks or splitting of plastic parts.

I went over with the intention of making sure it was fit to sell, but here comes the problem - the fuse cap is missing and spares are no longer made. The very kind people at Marshall then pointed out the pro's and con's or a repair with a modern part, and said that there are many collectors out there who would rather buy the amp untested than have a non-original part in it.

Phil at Marshall - who seemed to be the man in the know about vintage amps like this one said it was probably a 1964, possibly early 65. Having asked my mum, my dad purchased it in the late 70's, it has been in the family ever since, stored inside the house and hardly moved for 15 years. Phil says from the look of it and the smell (!) it should all be in working order.

I would like to sell this to the right person - someone who will really look after it, and hopefully play some music through it every once in a while. I was given an insurance quote of around £7-8,000. What do you all think? I can hold out for the right price - where should I sell for the best price?

I will upload some pictures when I figure out how!
Thanks

damienbeale

Reaction score
Insurance quote is vastly different to real world actual values. For a valuation of that sort of vintage, you're better off posting pics over at vintageamps.com/plexiboard.

If it is the real deal, and in good condition, you may just find somebody there willing to snatch it up too.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!! If it has been sat for that long without having been used, DO NOT PLUG IT IN AND POWER IT UP!
The reservoir capacitors will be damaged beyond repair if not reformed properly, by bringing the voltage up very slowly over a long period of time. There are many who will tell you just to replace these electrolytic caps for safety's sake, but with something of this vintage, they MAY be salvageable if treated correctly.

Unfortunately, until this has been done, and until it is confirmed in tip-top working order, the value is going to be seriously reduced. You may want to find a good tech local to you, who is sympathetic to reforming vintage equipment, rather than just instantly replacing the caps. What part of the UK are you in?

Your best bet for posting photos is to open up a photobucket (or similar) account and host them there. Then you just have to provide links.

Lo-Watt

Reaction score
I do have some Belling Lee spares for most of the pre '70 Marshall amps. They are availible and can be found..

strat59

Reaction score
Best way to get market value is to list it on UK EBAY. Allow International Bidders by clicking on - Shipping Worldwide.

Collectors will buy it no trouble.

george76

Reaction score
no dis-respect to Marshall, but they are pretty crap at dating vintage gear. post some pics here or better still on the vintage amp forum, and you should get some reliable info on it.

1964 - early 65 should be a block logo. probably worth about £3000 realistically.

an insurance valuation is not the same as an auction valuation. i wish marshall would explain this to people when they give them out. insurance valuation may be two or three times the sale value. when they give you an insurance valuation, it should not be your starting bid price on ebay. :lol: see it all the time.

strat59

Reaction score
no dis-respect to Marshall, but they are pretty crap at dating vintage gear. post some pics here or better still on the vintage amp forum, and you should get some reliable info on it.

1964 - early 65 should be a block logo. probably worth about £3000 realistically.

an insurance valuation is not the same as an auction valuation. i wish marshall would explain this to people when they give them out. insurance valuation may be two or three times the sale value. when they give you an insurance valuation, it should not be your starting bid price on ebay. :lol: see it all the time.

Very true. I have read many posts and seen many ebay listings from people taking Marshalls Insurance valuation to be the market value of their amp. Naturally their auction on ebay fails to attract a bid. As George said they also are woefull at dating Vintage Amps correctly. Post some pics and those with the same amp can provide you correct information / opinion of value.