1976 MARSHALL MODEL 2100 COMBO TUBE AMP 50w 2x12"

• Thread starter zoidamachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zoidamachine

Reaction score
This is a 1976 Marshall Model 2100 "Lead and Bass Combo" tube guitar amplifier, made between 1973 and 1976. This is a rare item, only sold by mail order (weird, but true). The head is basically the classic 50 watt JMP Mk II head, with the slight distinction that the second channel is voiced more for a bass guitar. Channel I is 1987; Channel II is 1986. Like any classic Marshall, the two channels can be jumped together with a 1/4" patch cord.

The amp uses a solid state rectifier, and the stock power tubes are 6550's. A previous owner installed, and then removed, a master volume control, leaving an unsightly "bullet hole" in the panel. I've had the amp extensively gone over by a knowledgable tube amp tech against the original schematics, who found no other mods. The amp works perfectly and has no performance issues The speakers are the original Marshall (Celestion) G12M's, and also work perfectly, no issues.

This amp is listed very favorably in Michael Doyle's "A History of Marshall: The Illustrated Story Of The Sound Of Rock (4-1/2 stars, Amazon) [ame=http://www.amazon.com/History-Marshall-Illustrated-Story-Sound/dp/0793525098]Amazon.com: A History of Marshall The Illustrated Story Of The Sound Of Rock (0073999590067): Michael Doyle: Books[/ame], recognized as THE definitive reference on Marshall amps. You can search the Amazon site on this book for specific references to the Model 2100, ". . . the model 2100 Lead and Bass combo (not to be confused with the JCM 900 2100 head), which was introduced in 1973, the year after the "Bluesbreaker" was discontinued, and which proved to be a much more worthy successor."

Marshall makes Bluesbreaker reissues today, largely based on the amp's Clapton/Mayall fame, for $2300 street: http://www.music123.com/Guitars/Gui...luesbreaker-Combo-Amp.site7prod482795.product

The panel on the amp looks kinda beat, and at least one of the knobs is missing the aluminum cap, but everything is entirely functional. Replica replacement panels for this type of Marshall are available on the net, and there are even places that will fabricate a lovely custom panel for not much money. The amp has also had a pair of Fender-like tilt-back legs installed, which I don't think are stock, but are well-made. I'm sure you could remove them without leaving any appreciable marks, but they are actually rather useful at times, so I've left them on. One or two of the plastic corners may be cracked or broken (replacements for those are available, too), and the handle rattles a little at volume. Apart from these qualifications, the amp is in lovely shape, no rips or tears in the tolex or grille cloth. It has a nice vinyl cover that fits tightly, and has done its job very well over the years.

These pix were taken before I had the amp shaken down and brought up to spec, but is still in the condition you see here:
Marshall 2100 combo

Sound-wise, the amp has tone up the yahoo, does not break up particularly easily, is loud enough to kill the fish in your neighbor's aquarium, and is right at home with half-stacks and SVT's. The transformers are all original, the tubes are all good, it has original 3-prong grounded AC, the pots are not scratchy, and it all works perfectly reliably. It has no tone-robbing master volume, and you will need to use your pedals or processor for much overdrive. When you do, you will be amazed at the results!

This amp has genuine collector's value, and you can legitimately expect it to climb in value. I've owned the amp for something like 10 years, and really wish I didn't have to sell it. The amp can be seen in North Fort Myers, Florida by appointment.

Price is $1,600 or best offer. I need to sell right away. Email me at zoid@z9design.com or call me at 239 284 0537.

Attachments

• J576x475-49907.jpg
    J576x475-49907.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
  • J576x432-49908.jpg
    J576x432-49908.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 17
  • J600x322-49483.jpg
    J600x322-49483.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 15
  • J600x329-49482.jpg
    J600x329-49482.jpg