1977 Jmp Non Master Volume "1 Wire Mod Help" I Know Im Sorry

tschrama

Reaction score
I have suggested a couple of times that a 2203/4 conversion might be neatest and easiest to execute and then tweak to more gain. Listen to the SIR34 clips on Metro - all done with 3 tubes and that circuit. Lots of ways of adding more gain/sensitivity to this circuit.

Good advice. convert to 2203/4 and go from there. Diezel Herbert ch2 is very high gain, without diodes, in a 2203/4 topology. Maybe not the tone the OP is aiming for, but just goes to show that many tones can be accomplished with the 2203/4 topology.

Pelvisbuster

Reaction score
This amp belongs to my friend.. if you will go back and read the very first post on this it's all explained. But long story short.. he wants the hot rodded Marshall sound but wants stock appearance. Also, he doesn't want me to punch holes in the chassis for another tube stage. So, while I'm not an amp tech or builder by any means, I'm pretty good with electronic/amp type things. I've never done the one wire mod..and apparently it's a secret society haha.. I can get tons of gain out of this thing..but not usable gain.. it don't sound good..then I turn around and hear Micheal R/T stuff and I'm like..what the hell am I missing? if anyone has done this VERY successfully, and won't mind sharing values to change this to that, and a lay out of where these are located..that would help me tremendously. As I've stated before, I have installed the one wire mod and it works..just sound like hammered horseshit.. I have also successfully installed the PPI Master Vol and works beautifully.. my work is very neat and professional in appearance and functionality. Now if I could just get it to sound worth a damn..it would all be good. Also, does anyone know or prefer a place to order caps/resistors/diodes/misc., from that does believe in "FOLKLORE" price ?

tschrama

Reaction score
OK, great. so you can read a schematic and build it cleanly.

So all you have to do I pull a schematic off tye net and build it. Tones of schemo's on the Net.. I suggested Camerons CCV, but you might like a Sir34, or a standard 1987 with a PPIMV. Just listen to clips of those on the Net and decide.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
This amp belongs to my friend.. if you will go back and read the very first post on this it's all explained. But long story short.. he wants the hot rodded Marshall sound but wants stock appearance. Also, he doesn't want me to punch holes in the chassis for another tube stage. So, while I'm not an amp tech or builder by any means, I'm pretty good with electronic/amp type things. I've never done the one wire mod..and apparently it's a secret society haha.. I can get tons of gain out of this thing..but not usable gain.. it don't sound good..then I turn around and hear Micheal R/T stuff and I'm like..what the hell am I missing? if anyone has done this VERY successfully, and won't mind sharing values to change this to that, and a lay out of where these are located..that would help me tremendously. As I've stated before, I have installed the one wire mod and it works..just sound like hammered horseshit.. I have also successfully installed the PPI Master Vol and works beautifully.. my work is very neat and professional in appearance and functionality. Now if I could just get it to sound worth a damn..it would all be good. Also, does anyone know or prefer a place to order caps/resistors/diodes/misc., from that does believe in "FOLKLORE" price ?

This was my first High Gain mod attempt. 50 watt Plexi converted to a 2204 with an extra preamp tube hidden inside the chassis.

See if Mike (Michael R/T) will accept a mod job and send it to him in Canada.

By the way what speakers are you using. To me everything sounds like hammered horse shit through 75 watt Celestions.

Every time I mod an amp there are always different tweaks required to tune it to my ear.

It has been suggested that you study the non cathode follower 4 stage circuits, Cameron, Splawn, Hafler etc...

You can build a L bracket and mount an extra preamp tube inside the chassis for a Friedman BE/HBE with a easy added SAT mod.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. If you have followed Michaels instructions on his YouTube video’s and your friends amp sucks then you missed something or the speakers suck. Just my $.02

The one wire mod just cascades the preamp and does not make the amp any hotter than Stock 2203/2204 which is pretty lame without a over drive pedal.

I’m trying to load some thumbnail photos to help but the site will not accept them sorry. I’ll keep trying.

Don’t give up. It has taken me 8 years to get where I am at building and modding.

Make sure not to use the 1meg resistor advertised on the one wire mod. Then try lowering all three cathode resistors with 2.7k bypassed with a .68uf cap and raise the V1a plate to a 330k. This is essentially the Friedman BE. Then add Friedman’s SAT MOD. You will be getting right down in Jerry Cantrell town.

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Also beware, there is a lot of disinformation on the net. That is why I suggested not using the 1meg on the one wire mod.

Pelvisbuster

Reaction score
I have talked to R/T about sending him the amp.. but good god the shipping is almost as.much as the mod..and I just can't see spending that on transit.. I know I can do this.. I guess the visual help is what I need.. believe me.. I do appreciate everyone's input here. You guys are for sure bad ass..and as you asked..the speakers are late 90's / early 2000's MADE IN ENGLAND V30's.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have talked to R/T about sending him the amp.. but good god the shipping is almost as.much as the mod..and I just can't see spending that on transit.. I know I can do this.. I guess the visual help is what I need.. believe me.. I do appreciate everyone's input here. You guys are for sure bad ass..and as you asked..the speakers are late 90's / early 2000's MADE IN ENGLAND V30's.
My favorite speaker. All my cabs are 1990 era Marshall Vintage 30 412.

Maybe post some detailed close up photos of what you have done to incline the complete board, segments of the board and all pots in addition to input jack wiring.

Maybe we can isolate the issue.

Pelvisbuster

Reaction score
It has the green caps in some places..and I have read that they are brittle and leak voltage and need to replace.

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
An iPhone video recording would be helpful too. Just plug straight in and play some AC/DC VH Dokken etc... we will know where you are then.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just do it
Yes this is a good place to start on a 4 stage plate driven (C2 pin 6) tone stack as the cf becomes a 4th gain stage.

The universe is open from there.

As I said so many ways to skin that cat.

Pelvisbuster

Reaction score
I have a proper recording situation..I have recorded some already.. but sounds terrible.

Pelvisbuster

Reaction score
Will you send me the instructions? Components and what not to fix/change?

Pelvisbuster

Reaction score
God dang that amp sounds bad ass.. please help me make this one like that..

Latest posts