1978 JMP 2203 adding a loop?

• Thread starter Dmann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
And that's all that matters...but there is room to play around if you feel so inclined. I use a 22K dropper to the FX loop board, then reduce the total series resistance between the choke and PI node to 15K (10K + 4K7 = 14K7...close enough to 15K).

LP Freak

Reaction score
Get the Zero Loss FX Loop kit from MetroAmp. 100% tonally transparent and it maintains an even gain structure as well due to being located before the master volume as opposed to after the master like most other amps. They were designed specifically with the 2203/2204 amps in mind. The ONLY loop I will ever recommend for these amps -

Zero-Loss FX Loop Kit - $95.00 : MetroAmp, Amplifier Kits and Parts Online Store
I agree about the Metro loop. I've installed many on Marshalls and they're about the best loop out there IMO.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
And that's all that matters...but there is room to play around if you feel so inclined. I use a 22K dropper to the FX loop board, then reduce the total series resistance between the choke and PI node to 15K (10K + 4K7 = 14K7...close enough to 15K).

Actually I stand corrected I am using a 22k in conjunction with a 10k on this 2203. I was thinking of something I have going on in the 50 watt Plexi. Soory for the confusion.

David, Any chance for some pics of it installed in the 2203? Thanks! :cheers:

As requested
Picture001_zpsb6f982e4.jpg

Dmann

Reaction score
A JMP doesn't need a loop IMO.

And Wilder ur Metro link locked up my computer and apparently has a virus ...

I can appreciate your opinion, BUT in order to do what I am doing, it requires a power amp insert. Since I can also get the benefit of having an fx loop, I am pretty sure this is the best option.

The JVM manual states this, and, adding a loop to my JMP 2203, will allow me to use it in this way.

11. POWER AMP INSERT / SERIAL LOOP
This is a passive loop connected right before the
master controls. It is a line level loop so it is
recommended to only use high headroom
devices to avoid signal degradation. Plugging
only into the return jack allows the use of the
JVM’s power section overriding the preamp.

Master controls and the emulated line out are
located after the serial loop so it is still possible
to take advantage of those features when using
an external preamplifier. The loop can be taken
off the circuit by pressing the BYPASS switch,
but as opposed to the Series / Parallel loop this
switch cannot be programmed.

Hint 4: Notes about using 2 heads
simultaneously. The suggested procedure is
connect the ‘master’ head PREAMP OUT to the
‘slave’ head POWER AMP IN and switch the
POWER AMP INSERT to ACTIVE in the ‘slave’
amplifier.

At the end of the day, all I want is my 2 full stacks, running in true stereo. If you have a better way for me to acheive this goal, please by all means fill me in.

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Charveldan comes from the old school of everything goes in front of the amp. I love it when guys throw the whole "You don't need ______ to get a good sound". Well...define good sound!

Lots of you here are not just going for a "good" sound. You're going for a specific sound. And the specific sound you're going for may very well require an fx loop to pull it off.

FX loops allow those of us high gain players to patch effects that are supposed to be reproduced in a clean manner a place in the signal path AFTER the overdriving circuitry where they can be reproduced cleanly. Delays and reverbs are the primary effects that require a loop to use them in traditional fashion.

If you're getting your overdrive tone from a pedal, then you can insert the delay/reverb effects after the overdrive pedal. But then your overdrive tone isn't coming from the amp in this setup. It's coming from a pedal.

But if you're like the rest of us who play high gain amps and use the preamp as our overdrive, then the loop is a necessity.

Different strokes for different folks. To state that a good amp doesn't need a loop is your personal opinion and may work very well for what you're doing. This doesn't mean that it will work for everyone as not everyone is playing the same style of music nor are they going for the same type of tone you are.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
At the end of the day, all I want is my 2 full stacks, running in true stereo. If you have a better way for me to acheive this goal, please by all means fill me in.

If all your after is true stereo you could just run your guit. into a stereo chorus pedal,...at the end of your fx chain, then simply to the input of both amps.

But if your gonna be using much delay or verb a loop is a must in my book.... it makes it 100x more usable.

However the best way i've found to run stereo it to have a stereo efx processor, like a tc G-major...or whatever. .... and run the left and right ins and outs thru the send and returns of the loops of 2 heads/cabs.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
I can appreciate your opinion, BUT in order to do what I am doing, it requires a power amp insert. Since I can also get the benefit of having an fx loop, I am pretty sure this is the best option.

The JVM manual states this, and, adding a loop to my JMP 2203, will allow me to use it in this way.

t.c.electronics-chorus-flanger.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6IaJ3NscbA]The JMP Files - YouTube[/ame]

A stereo chorus pedal or similar can get u there ...

Dmann

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but no, a chorus pedal cannot get me there. If you really don't understand why, then I can't explain it in a way that you would, because I've already explained it, and so did Jon Wilder.

:band:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I heard theres a mod so you can plug into both high and low inputs and switch between them with a switch pedal. Sounds interesting.

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Why must we flame others all because their gear/rig setup preferences do not coincide with yours? You dislike racks...we get it. But lots of us think racks rule. To each their own...no reason to flame others because they don't run their rigs the same way you do.

charveldan

Reaction score
Why must we flame others all because their gear/rig setup preferences do not coincide with yours? You dislike racks...we get it. But lots of us think racks rule. To each their own...no reason to flame others because they don't run their rigs the same way you do.
Not flaming, just chatting ... :wave:

I think he should get a loop if he wants, nothing wrong with that.

Dmann

Reaction score
here is an example for ya of "why Rack."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2VpWzHlhfo&feature]Chris Poland gear interview 10 23 12 - YouTube[/ame]

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy, and fellow forum member new religion just installed one of the zero loss loops in his 1980 JMP 2203 and he swears its the cats ass. I'm sure he can tell you all about it too. I going to order one for my 82 2203 in a couple weeks..... CANT WAIT!

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It Rulez!

Dmann

Reaction score
Finally got my confirmation that my order has shipped earlier today, so should be here next week sometime.

In the meantime, can anyone offer a quick breakdown of some mods that would benefit a stock 1978 JMP 2203 100 watt MkII super lead?

charveldan

Reaction score
Finally got my confirmation that my order has shipped earlier today, so should be here next week sometime.

In the meantime, can anyone offer a quick breakdown of some mods that would benefit a stock 1978 JMP 2203 100 watt MkII super lead?

Rig-Talk • View topic - List of the mods

Premiere worlds best amp builder *** be advised it may take 4 months for mods after you send ur amp to him but for me was worth the wait, would do again.

Dmann

Reaction score
Rig-Talk • View topic - List of the mods

Premiere worlds best amp builder *** be advised it may take 4 months for mods after you send ur amp to him but for me was worth the wait, would do again.

Thanks man, I am just wanting to learn 1st so I can make an informed decision however I wouldn't send my amp anywhere as I have a local tech to do the mods, he just doesn't have time to explain what and why right now, and I'd rather take my amp in and just tell what I want done :)