1978 JMP 2203 adding a loop?

• Thread starter Dmann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dmann

Reaction score
UPDATE;

The package finally came in the mail, 6-10 buisness days by USPS apparently = a month?????

Took everything to the Tech and we talked about it, and decided to mod in a push/pull master volume pot to replace the included toggle switch as we both agreed, that little toggle switch prob wouldn't last transport to a single gig. Prob be all finished by this weekend :dude:

Here is my rig and pedal board, This picture's quality is fucking garbage, not sure why my Iphone is taking such crap shots, but it's all I got at the moment, I'll have to take a better shot later on.

dmann-albums-gear-picture8254-current-dual-full-stack.jpg

Mr. Bones

Reaction score
Isn't Dan's hero Dave Friedman of RACKSYSTEMS
But who needs a rack? :lol:

Not trying to start crap, but this one just seemed too obvious.

Mr. Bones

Reaction score
Yeah I know who Dave is and what he does, I have nothing against Dave.

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wycked Lester
my buddy, and fellow forum member new religion just installed one of the zero loss loops in his 1980 JMP 2203 and he swears its the cats ass. I'm sure he can tell you all about it too. I going to order one for my 82 2203 in a couple weeks..... CANT WAIT!

^ yes it does...just put one in my 78 JMP 2204...had one in a MIG midget 50H as well...they rock

Got a Amp Tech we all know and love that plans to send my his design to beta test also, excited about that. In addition got a amp coming soon from another fellow member Amp Tech to have a go with.

Much respect to you guys and thanks for the opportunities gentlemen. Been working with the amps more than the fret board. :slap: Need to play more.

David :cheers:

Dmann

Reaction score
another update;

After discussing it more, we've decided to omit the toggle switch completely. So the loop will always be active, and If I want to use the amp with notihing in the loop then I can just use a patch cable to make the connection.

This saves from additional modification and saves from drilling another hole in the chassis

Seems like a great idea to me. (FYI I will never sell this amp unless someon offers me $100,000.00)

Also, my amp should be all ready to go for friday, giveing me a night to set things up for Saturdays gig. :)

shooto

Reaction score
another update;

After discussing it more, we've decided to omit the toggle switch completely. So the loop will always be active, and If I want to use the amp with notihing in the loop then I can just use a patch cable to make the connection.

This saves from additional modification and saves from drilling another hole in the chassis

Seems like a great idea to me. (FYI I will never sell this amp unless someon offers me $100,000.00)

Also, my amp should be all ready to go for friday, giveing me a night to set things up for Saturdays gig. :)

^ nice...but dude, you know you can mount the whole loop unit outside of the chassis it a separate stompbox-size enclosure...then just wire to board...that way, you don't destroy the chassis...how I did mine :thumb:

Dmann

Reaction score
^ nice...but dude, you know you can mount the whole loop unit outside of the chassis it a separate stompbox-size enclosure...then just wire to board...that way, you don't destroy the chassis...how I did mine :thumb:

cool beans :headbanger:

A lot of people get all bent out of shape about keeping their old amp "un-touched" as it apparently makes it more valuable.... I say bullshit.... Value is in the Eye of the Beholder, and making my amp work better makes it even more valuable to me.

I am getting fucking excited too, man it's going to sound so good. :cool:

Dmann

Reaction score
Welp it's done.

Fired it up this afteroon, and it sounds great, the loop insert works EXACTLY as I need it too.

oh hey Zachman forget about W/D/W, I've gone S/S..... (Stereo/Stereo)

I've since gone and resurrected my old ADA MP2 and am powering it with a Behringer EPQ2000 solid state power amp ($300 for 2000 watts??? woot!), so Now I am running dual stereo with ADA/Behringer running my "B" cabs and JVM/JMP running the "A" cabs.

I am getting a sound and tone that would put some of the top studio productions to shame. The best of solid state mixed with tube, dual stereo, so much control..... this is rediculous. Once I have the time, I might post up some samples, but holy fucking hell, what a huge sound.

Thanks everyone :cheers:.

dmann-albums-gear-picture8357-img-1701.jpg

zachman

Reaction score
Welp it's done.

Fired it up this afteroon, and it sounds great, the loop insert works EXACTLY as I need it too.

I've since gone and resurrected my old ADA MP2 and am powering it with a Behringer EPQ2000 solid state power amp ($300 for 2000 watts??? woot!), so Now I am running dual stereo with ADA/Behringer running my "B" cabs and JVM/JMP running the "A" cabs.

I am getting a sound and tone that would put some of the top studio productions to shame. The best of solid state mixed with tube, dual stereo, so much control..... this is rediculous. Once I have the time, I might post up some samples, but holy fucking hell, what a huge sound.

Congrats! :cheers: Any clips of the new setup??

shooto

Reaction score
Welp it's done.

wow...that's a rig...do you gig with all that?

Ned74

Reaction score
I know I'm coming late to the party, I'm wondering if I could make an FX loop, without mods, my 78 JMP 2204 already has been altered, with an extra preamp tube, and foot switch, for an overdriven channel with seperate preamp and master settings. Could I possibly just run the head through my desk and have the loop run through my desk then back through the cab or my monitors? Thanks if anyone reads this😂🤘

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
My method for putting a Metro Zero Loss loop in a 2203 is to use two of the four speaker jacks as the loop jacks, and I install a custom made back panel that is marked properly for the loop. I install a push-pull pot in place of one pot on the front panel (pick one that makes sense to you) and pull to engage the loop. It's 100 percent reversible.

Ned74

Reaction score
My method for putting a Metro Zero Loss loop in a 2203 is to use two of the four speaker jacks as the loop jacks, and I install a custom made back panel that is marked properly for the loop. I install a push-pull pot in place of one pot on the front panel (pick one that makes sense to you) and pull to engage the loop. It's 100 percent reversible.
Cheers man, my amp is so brutal on it's own, but and preamp distortion it heavy fuzz just eliminates the sound of the head, and detracts from the beautiful gutteral valve tones. I've noticed people mention loop pedals, but I suspect they mean a pedal for looping guitar parts for under/overdubs. Thanks again bro🤘

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Yes, a loop pedal is to make your own backing tracks or accompaniment while playing. Has nothing to do with an effects loop.

The best use for a loop in a 2203 is to have a way to insert time based effects into your signal chain. Delay, flange, chorus, echo, etc..

dslman

Reaction score
The G Major ran in stereo is amazing .I ran two
JCM2000 DSL 100 heads, and 4-1960 cabs for a few years , and loved the flexibility of the midi board with the
G Major 2.
I love the stereo Marshall tone, when it’s right.
Now I have settled for the stereo out pedals into the fx-loops to get the fullness.
It’s not as refined, but it’s a pretty good. alternative, and fast set up.
I love pedals so I’m happy with it.
I’m glad you have a good amp tech who was able to get your amp up to speed for your rig.