1978 Jmp Mkii 50 Watt

• Thread starter FIREpunkMEDIC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score
Hey guys!! I have an opporrunity to grab a 1978 JMP nmv mkii 50 watter. GREAT condition. I play hatder rock/punkish type of stuff. Think Dropkick Murphys type stuff. Had a Rockerverb 100 mkiii amd realized its no Marshall. Right now playing a JCM 2000 DSL 50. What can I expect from the JMP mkii? oh, main guitar is an SG standard with a JB in the bridge.

Cheers!

neikeel

Reaction score
Depends on if it is original or has been modded and well maintained.
Surprised your Orange did not hit the mark for the style you play and DSL50 is not a bad amp either.
A good 50w NMV is a very good versatile amp but will need to be turned up loud to crunch and you might need a pedal like an early RAT to go really dirty.

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score
Thanks!! it is unmodded and very well maintained. The Rockerverb was a great amp it just didnt have IT for me. DSL 50 is pretty decent, faaaar better than they get credit for.

soundboy57

Reaction score
What Neikeel said. The '78 will have a much more classic tone, punch and dynamics, IMO, but may be hard getting used to after having a master volume DSL with all that gain available. I too, am surprised you didn't like the Orange. Great sounding amps.
I would hold out for a MV JMP, just me, otherwise an attenuator or pedals can sound darn good, too.

Polvo

Reaction score
You can always have a POINV installed it will add a bit more phase inverter crunch at manageable volumes...turn it up all the way and it's out of the circuit. Easy for a tech to install, put it in an extra speaker jack so no new holes are necessary.

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score
You can always have a POINV installed it will add a bit more phase inverter crunch at manageable volumes...turn it up all the way and it's out of the circuit. Easy for a tech to install, put it in an extra speaker jack so no new holes are necessary.

Thanks for the reply!! what is a POINV? I have heard of a PPIMV (post phase inverter master volume).

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I would agree, hold out for a MV unit seeing as you play hard rock otherwise you will need an attenuator along with a serious distortion/OD pedal up front. A friend of mine has one of these I believe a 76 and it is a rather clean sounding amp, it has great tone I just dont think you will like it???

Latest posts