1980 Cabinet Appearance Question

• Thread starter Spacehog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spacehog

Reaction score
Happy Sunday morning everyone,

Question:

Let's just say it was Spring of 1980 and I just bought a brand new 2203 ('M' suffix in the serial # which denotes year 1980) and I also bought a brand new matching pair of A and B cabs to go with it. What exactly would the cabs look like in regard to finish (fabric type, color, badge on lower left) and what speakers would they have come with? (I'm more concerned about the looks since at this point 34 yrs later it seems I'll most likely be buying modern-day replacements of some sort for the speakers - a whole 'nuther never-ending brain-spinner of a task)

I ask this because I own a 2203 dated 'M' and would like to somehow acquire a correct period-looking A (and B as well, if possible) cab to match it. I'm looking to sell the cab I do have and since that puts me in the market for a replacement, I might as well attempt to find what I'd like and take it from there.

Thanks for the time and help everyone.

soundboy57

Reaction score
Small checkerboard or black grill cloth(they changed over that year), large 11" logo, elephant grain tolex, no badge on front, G12 65 speakers,
black cast metal Homa casters, small input jack at bottom of back panel,
round aluminum serial tag above it....

Damn, I miss those days...:ugh:

Reactions: Ken

soundboy57

Reaction score
Those cabs are out there still....you might as well step up and pay for a nice one with the speakers intact, IMHO.

By the time you buy a slightly rough one, and then spend the time and hundreds$$$ on speakers, casters, cover, etc, its cheaper to get an all original one, in my book.
And, you will get your money back with an original cab of that era someday, too:D

You can find 1979-1980 cabs in REAL nice shape for $700-900 if you look awhile.

Here is a 78 B cab I found for my 78 2204.... I paid WAY more than $700
for it, but it hasn't got a single scuff on it...

78front reg size.jpg

Ken

Reaction score
You can find 1979-1980 cabs in REAL nice shape for $700-900 if you look awhile.

]

My 1982A is worth that much?? OMG.

The 1982's were sold with the 800 series, but so were the 1960 series so there's no defininative answer as to what's "correct". My 1982A from Jan/Feb 1980 has the checked cloth and no tag. My 1982B from 1983 has plain cloth and a JCM 800 tag.

Ken

soundboy57

Reaction score

The 1982's were sold with the 800 series, but so were the 1960 series so there's no defininative answer as to what's "correct". My 1982A from Jan/Feb 1980 has the checked cloth and no tag. My 1982B from 1983 has plain cloth and a JCM 800 tag.

Ken

I was referring to the blackback/G1265 cabs, which are more sought after than the G1280 cabs, just from my observation

Condition is everything.
I just dropped $1550 for a '78 1960B cab with 55hz blackback 25 watt. But IT IS LIKE NEW...not a mark on it, original owner, and all original speakers, casters, perfect small check grill, etc.
Yeah, it's a lot...but when is the last time anyone has seen a like new, museum condition blackback B cab?

The same cab with a few minor scars, no serial tag, minor issues, would bring $800-$1000.

A black grill cab would bring less, as well, IME.

I am looking at another '78 slant 1982A cab, with G12H blackbacks, in mint condition for $900 and shipping....
The slant is a better deal than the B cab, IMHO, but B cabs are more rare...
so kind of a toss up on that one.

The last cabs that will ever bring decent money investment back are the small check cabs through '79-'80, with blackback or G12 65 speakers, IMO.
Hard core collectors want pre cab corners, pulsonic cone cabs pre 71, or maybe pre 72...but I like them all through the 70's.
The pre '68 cabs are a whole other price level, as well.

Just my two cents.:D

Polvo

Reaction score
I bought a 1982a with g12-80 dated to 79, the cab had the checkered grill and the back badge listed the wattage at 120, for $530 on ebay shipping included. Fortunately most people don't know how perfect those speakers are, though a few are catching on.

Mosher Zone

Reaction score

Ken

Ken, those cabs are worth that too in my experience. I wheeled my cab into rehearsal once & mine is beat(see my thread) & a guy said i'll give you £500 right now for your cab. Apparently it's due to the Bletchley factory. Not sure if the one you have was made there or they made them in the states too. Forgive me it's late & I'm drinking.

Spacehog

Reaction score
Thanks guys. You gave some great answers and related input. Ken and Soundboy, you both deserve a dollar in the community tip jar for the info. Much appreciated. I'm printing this out and keeping it in my pocket for reference.

Based on the collective input here, I'm probably going to rough it on the low road for a while and look for a cab that I really want with which I agree makes the most sense.

If I had one more question (hint..) it would be:
What's the diff between the 1982 and 1960 cabs? Is it simply the series of speaker they came with?

Thanks again.

Ken

Reaction score
What's the diff between the 1982 and 1960 cabs? Is it simply the series of speaker they came with?

Yes, at least in the time period we're discussing. You can't tell a 1982 from a 1960 except for the tag on the back. Later 1960 cabs are stereo.

Ken

Latest posts