1987x Buzzing/humming - Filter Caps?

• Thread starter Splitslim
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splitslim

Reaction score
Jumper W3 and W4, which bypasses both the Master and the FX, and see if everything is normal. If that fixes it, then try jumpering around just the FX and check again.

Jumpering W3 and W4 will only bypass the FX loop. The master is connected between W3 and BN4 on the PCB which is after the FX loop.

Splitslim

Reaction score
So...did you clean the FX loop jacks with DeOxit or similar? Give it a go, if not already.

Since I bypassed the FX and am still getting the noise, doesn't that eliminated the FX loop jacks as the culprit? My understanding is the FX loop jacks are only in the signal chain when the FX loop is activated.

Splitslim

Reaction score
problem and solution was identified.. go install shielded wire and make sure the pot casing is grounded via the tonestack ground bus.

I've decided to pull this master volume out and replace it with a Lar/Mar PPIMV using a dual gang PEC pot in the same location. I'll reconnect W3 to BN4 using the stock brown 22awg wire and be sure to use sheilded wire on the PPIMV.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I've decided to pull this master volume out and replace it with a Lar/Mar PPIMV using a dual gang PEC pot in the same location. I'll reconnect W3 to BN4 using the stock brown 22awg wire and be sure to use sheilded wire on the PPIMV.
I would eliminate the MV completely, wire it stock and re-test.
I would not modify a broken amp.
Verify that stock works correctly first.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I agree - That's exactly what I'll do once my parts arrive.

Thanks!
I sounds like an open connection to the input of the PI. Like the PI input is not connected to anything.
maybe the pot is defective...maybe a wire is accidentally broken under the insulation.
1. make the amp work stock first.
2. make sure that all the bugs are fixed first.
3.Then modify - last.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
There is a problem w/ PPIMV kits.
There should be a pot which has a known voltage insulation rating.
The insulation could fail, and short the bias voltage to the chassis.

If the pot has no documented DC voltage rating- I would definitely not use it.

Many cheap pots - are rated 35 Volts or lower.
This is why the vendor may be hiding the specifications of the part.

I would not use a pot rated lower than 250 VDC.
I would never use a pot - unless it has a real specification sheet, from the actual manufacturer.

ALL legitimate parts - have a specifications sheet.
If there is no spec sheet - be suspicious.

Say anything you like!
you do not install "unrated" capacitors in your B+ rail...do you?
Then why would you install an un-rated DCV pot in the bias circuit?

Last edited:

Splitslim

Reaction score
I have a PEC KKA2541S28 250k dual gang logarithmic pot on order. I presume this is the highest quality pot for this application?

Splitslim

Reaction score
The spec sheet for this pot states;

900V RMS at sea level for the dielectric strength
500V operating voltage which is subject to power rating

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I have a PEC KKA2541S28 250k dual gang logarithmic pot on order. I presume this is the highest quality pot for this application?
Except
disassemble the pot, lube the track with non-conductive lubricant such as deoxit G 100, deoxit D100, or LPS-1.
The factory lubricant will not last.
Then, reassemble and install it.

Yes, PEC is rated 500 VDC.
Although PEC is the highest rated, there is an issue w/ the lubricant.
After re-lubing the pot with a better treatment, then it's pretty good.

(use only a non conductive lubricant which is highly rated)
(do not use non-lubricated cleaners)

Last edited:

myersbw

Reaction score
Since I bypassed the FX and am still getting the noise, doesn't that eliminated the FX loop jacks as the culprit? My understanding is the FX loop jacks are only in the signal chain when the FX loop is activated.

Haven't seen a schematic, but a physical switch would infer that if designed the way I'd expect it. I'd agree with the rest, reverting it to stock is the place to start.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Haven't seen a schematic, but a physical switch would infer that if designed the way I'd expect it. I'd agree with the rest, reverting it to stock is the place to start.
I'm just wondering if it's really wired right...or if there is a break in the signal path (that's what it sounds like).

Guitar-Rocker

Reaction score
Estero, Florida formerly from Indianapolis

Correct. Now you know the problem lies in the (inserted non factory Master), whether it is a bad connection or any one of the previously mentioned items to check.

myersbw

Reaction score
I think there's more to it than that. I printed out the photos and the 1987x schematic. Look really close at W2 & W3 and what they did when they modified the hum balance circuit. They eliminated the pot (VR2) and directly pushed those resistors to W2 (which, if the EFFECTS card board label is right is (zero volts) and presumably ground)...but...R31 is now going to W3 which, also if the EFFECTS card layout is correct...is shoving half of the 6.3V lamp circuit winding right to the Loop/PI input.

I don't know if Marshall changed any post designators in 1987x revisions (?), but I'll bet that's your problem. Basically...you're getting your filament circuit fed straight into the PI...isn't AC lovely? :O

myersbw

Reaction score
By the way...thanks for the awesome photos! Printed up nicely in color on an 11x17 printer!

Splitslim

Reaction score
I think there's more to it than that. I printed out the photos and the 1987x schematic. Look really close at W2 & W3 and what they did when they modified the hum balance circuit. They eliminated the pot (VR2) and directly pushed those resistors to W2 (which, if the EFFECTS card board label is right is (zero volts) and presumably ground)...but...R31 is now going to W3 which, also if the EFFECTS card layout is correct...is shoving half of the 6.3V lamp circuit winding right to the Loop/PI input.

I don't know if Marshall changed any post designators in 1987x revisions (?), but I'll bet that's your problem. Basically...you're getting your filament circuit fed straight into the PI...isn't AC lovely? :O

This is based on your assumption that W3 on the effects card is the same as W3 on the PCB, correct? I don't think they are related as BN4 from the PCB connects to the W3 post on the effects card. I could be wrong. Additionally, R31's trace underneath the PCB goes to W3 with the other end going through VR2 to W1 and R32's trace goes from W2 through VR2 to W1 as well. Leading me to believe they are connected properly.

Thanks for your help!

myersbw

Reaction score
it should be. Look at the schematic. W3 and W4 are there to connect to the FX loop...the schematic labels that and the points of W3 and W4 are the same place you would park the FX loop.

My only assumption is that THIS is the schematic that relates to your amp...

http://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/1987-01-60-02_iss4.pdf

You also need to closely inspect that board as that part of the circuit was modded. VR2 was eliminated...the wiring from those resistors was jumped across to those posts.

I'm not seeing your FX loop board in your photos...?...is it the Marshall board you have or was it something like a Metro board added?

Last edited:

Splitslim

Reaction score
I see that they used W2 and W3 on the PCB for the new led installed when the original indicator lamp was removed and replaced with the mv pot. Could this led be the culprit, feeding noise into the signal path?

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I see that they used W2 and W3 on the PCB for the new led installed when the original indicator lamp was removed and replaced with the mv pot. Could this led be the culprit, feeding noise into the signal path?

It's entirely possible...did you look under the board?
The signal is supposed to be away from the power supply...

myersbw

Reaction score
Well...I'd say first affirm that the link I sent for schematic above is indeed the same as your 1987x (revisions change a lot of things sometime so I can't really be adamant about what should be unless the diagram matches the chassis).

I've only found that one schematic and the inference is W2 is a ground reference...W1 would be the 30V to the FX card for power...W3 & W4 "should be" the signal feed for the FX loop. No power involved. They could tie to W2 for a ground (again, if the layout is the same as the schematic), but W3 should be a no-no as it would seem it should be part of the loop signal along with W4.

The ONLY reason those resistors were extended across to those turrets are that someone was too plain lazy to disconnect the pots and inputs...tilt the board up and do it right. VR2 probably would be connected to W2 for the ground reference.

Again, I'd disconnect the front panel pots & jacks...tilt the board (caps drained) ...and straighten out that balance-hum circuit the right way. And, while at it...verify if W4 and W4 are the correct connect points to the FX loop card.