Chasing the Humming Dragon

• Thread starter Im247frogs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Can you point me to the correct schematic? Maybe a slightly higher res shot too if possible.
The schematic is below. The way the grounds are drawn on it are actually literal, such as the V1 cathodes grounding at the inputs (changed that, didn't help), and how the V2 cathodes are grounded at the bright volume pot. I think this is at least part of the overall issue.
Here's a link to the print.

http://www.0rigami.com/vb/traynor_bassmaster_mkii_yba1a.pdf

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Also I did do some sleuthing w the scope yesterday. I put a 500hz 1 mv signal in and probed the far side of both V1 coupling caps, the plate of the cathode follower and the treble pot wiper. The sine wave is well formed but at that resolution there are regular, very closely spaced spikes all over it.
I'm not super handy w the scope so any advice there would be greatly appreciated.
I havent yet looked for ripple on V1 w no input signal, I'll do that today and report back.

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
If it were the heaters, wouldnt elevating the voltage at the center tap like I did the other day fix that?
No, DC elevation of the heater circuit can only mitigate buzz, the buzzy spikes at mains frequency (60Hz in your case) caused by leaky heater to cathode insulation in the valves used in early stages, particularly those with unbypassed or partially bypassed cathodes.
It can’t help with hum from to HT ripple, ie at twice mains frequency, your 120Hz problem.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
leaky heater to cathode insulation in the valves used in early stages, particularly those with unbypassed or partially bypassed cathodes.
So how do I deal w that? I thought about bypassing V2a w a .68 cap as I'm slowly modding it towards 1987x values anyway. I've also tried a bunch of different valves in al three preamp positions w no real change.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
No, DC elevation of the heater circuit can only mitigate buzz, the buzzy spikes at mains frequency (60Hz in your case) caused by leaky heater to cathode insulation in the valves used in early stages, particularly those with unbypassed or partially bypassed cathodes.
It can’t help with hum from to HT ripple, ie at twice mains frequency, your 120Hz problem.
What about putting a 3KV snubber cap across the HT mains to the rectifier?

ELS

Reaction score
Could you take a few pics of the inside of the amp? Sorry didn't see that

Last edited:

ELS

Reaction score
If it were the heaters, wouldnt elevating the voltage at the center tap like I did the other day fix that?
Not if it was from the heaters to other wires, elevating would only reduce hum as Pete said - with faulty tubes.

ELS

Reaction score
What about putting a 3KV snubber cap across the HT mains to the rectifier?
Well it could be power transformer ringing but that's super uncommon to cause problems. If it is that put a ~0.047 rated around twice the B+ so ~1200V in your case capacitor in series with a 10k resistor across the secondary of the transformer. The resistor is very often omitted but it's extremely critical, without it you're actually increasing the ringing.

Last edited:

ELS

Reaction score
Perhaps this is the problem:
That shielded wire the is way too close to that grey wire, the grey wire is in the same phase as the shielded wire and greatly amplified so it's quite possibly oscillating because of that, which often will cause weird hum artifacts.
Move the green and esspecialy the grey wire as far away from that shielded input cable as possible. Also as a side-note, I would stay away from shielded cables, they rarely fix problems and they reduce treble since they're like a capacitor to ground.
1690115866709.png

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Perhaps this is the problem:
That shielded wire the is way too close to that grey wire, the grey wire is in the same phase as the shielded wire and greatly amplified so it's quite possibly oscillating because of that, which often will cause weird hum artifacts.
Move the green and esspecialy the grey wire as far away from that shielded input cable as possible. Also as a side-note, I would stay away from shielded cables, they rarely fix problems and they reduce treble since they're like a capacitor to ground.
View attachment 133832
I’ll try it. I moved the other blue-grey wire w the B+ on it, as it was right on top of the grid wire. No change.

TheKman76

Reaction score
That last one is the full sweep of volume? Doesn't sound like a lot of hum really.

I'm struggling with the image a bit, but the big cap near the input with the 100K resistor is the last stage of the power filtering for the preamp, right?

Can you probe this supply node and see a great deal of ripple? It should be flat at this stage but the proximity to the input has me suspicious.

ELS

Reaction score
WIth a cable plugged in and the other end open, the cable will pick up a bit of hum and that's what you're hearing
That's a typical amount of hum for a non-ELS designed amp ;)

Im247frogs

Reaction score
That last one is the full sweep of volume? Doesn't sound like a lot of hum really.
No, that's up to 1 or 2. It'll get louder and louder. I can't turn it up much higher. If you look at the video I'm barely turning the volume knob.

It's way louder than that in person. I've had, and currently own, a couple old Fender Bassman's that I couldn't really beat the hum out of without totally devaluing the amp. This is way, way louder than any of those.

TheKman76

Reaction score
Really loud then. Got it.

Is it present with the grids of V1 completely disconnected? Divide and conquer, is it input or is the hum present at the V1 triode. Really loud hum just screams grounding issue... What's this about?

1690251501302.png