2 16ohm cabinets is how many ohms?

Reaction score
If I run 2 16ohm cabinets into one input via y-cable, how many ohms would I connect this to on the amp?? 16ohm? Or 8 ohms??

Kutt

Reaction score
Maybe I am alone on this but I have never seen a Y cable used to carry speaker loads on guitar amps, and maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts on it. My gut feeling is that using one would not be a good decision.

I'm also not sure what the total impedance would be without putting a multimeter to the Y cable to test. I suppose it could yield a 32 ohm load, just a guess.

Pass-thru / daisy chain style jacks like this seem more applicable to what you're asking about:

1652782175793.png

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I run 2 16ohm cabinets into one input via y-cable, how many ohms would I connect this to on the amp?? 16ohm? Or 8 ohms??
That depends on how the Y cable is wired.
Could be either series or parallel.
Make sure it is a balanced speaker cable and not an instrument cable.
I'm also not sure what the total impedance would be without putting a multimeter to the Y cable to test.
This is the answer, hook up the 2 cabs with said cable, and put a meter on the end to get a resistance reading.

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
Read up on Ohms law that way you will find the answer, but in this case i will tell you what you need to know and that two 16Ohm speakers in parallel will give you 8Ohms

Kutt

Reaction score
Read up on Ohms law that way you will find the answer, but in this case i will tell you what you need to know and that two 16Ohm speakers in parallel will give you 8Ohms

So the cable itself can be wired in either parallel or series? I have not entertained this thought before. Interesting.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
16 x 2 in Parallel = 8 Ohms
16 x 2 in Series = 32 Ohms

Technically, if it's in Series at 32 Ohms, it'll still work and be safe. But you'll have a volume decrease. If it's in Parallel and 8 Ohms, make sure the amp is set for 8 Ohms, not 16.

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
So the cable itself can be wired in either parallel or series? I have not entertained this thought before. Interesting.
We have to assume that the Y connector connects cables in parallel, never know one to connect in series, but as long as in this case the cable is connected to an 8Ohm output on the amp then all will be fine

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have to assume that the Y connector connects cables in parallel, never know one to connect in series, but as long as in this case the cable is connected to an 8Ohm output on the amp then all will be fine
I'd say probably parallel, but I wouldn't assume.
(not questioning your expertise Ken, I have the utmost respect)
Easy to make one either way.
Safer to test with a meter and know for sure than make assumptions.
I'd be more concerned that it's not a balanced cable.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@fitz288

Be careful throwing around the term "balanced cable" as it actually means something quite different in the audio world than what you are intending. A "balanced" cable is typically two conductors and a shield/drain/ground conductor, and utilizes three conductor connectors (like a microphone cable), typically XLR or tip/ring/sleeve for carrying "balanced" low impedance mic and line level signals. Where pin #1/sleeve = shield/drain/ground, pin #2/tip = +/positive and pin #3/ring = -/negative. I do however, get your thought of wanting the +positive and -negative wires to be the same size/gauge, although this is not typically referred to as balanced!

It should also be noted that there are many cables that appear to be "Y" cables, but actually perform very differet functions. One example is intended as an "insert" cable for send and return on mixing consoles and/or "splitter" for a stereo signal to two mono. This cable typicaly has a three conductor, Tip/Ring/Sleeve plug (1/4 inch or 1/8 inch) at one end, going to two separate, two conductor, Tip/Sleeve or RCA plugs. One of those two conductor Tip/Sleeve plugs is connected to the Tip and Sleeve of the Tip/Ring/Sleeve plug and the other two conductor Tip/Sleeve plug is connected to the Ring and Sleeve of the Tip/Ring/Sleeve plug. This cable configuration is also quite often used to "split" the left and right to two separate plugs, from a stereo headphone output. This will not function as a "Y" cable and should NEVER (as with any shielded cable) be used for speakers!

When one desires operating two speaker cabinets in parallel (without installed provisions for doing so), the best way is to build a small "all parallel" box with three Tip/Sleeve jacks, all wired together in parallel. Then simply run one actual speaker cable from the amp to the box and one speaker cable from the box to each of the two speaker cabinets. This provides a solid parallel set of connections, with no guesswork.

For amp to speaker interconnections, I "ALWAYS" use simple zip wire/lamp cord (minimum #18, but usually #16 gauge) for the cable. Cheap, easy to work with, very durable and will never get confused with a signal cablel!

The yellow one below has seen +35 years of regular use! I wish yellow zip was still commonly available. White and brown is typical, but just after the Christmas holidays, green and red zip wire extension cords are often available at fire sale prices! FWIW, cheap extension cords are a great resource for #16 gauge zip wire, in brown or white!

IMG_0641.jpeg

Just Cablin'
Gene

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@fitz288

Be careful throwing around the term "balanced cable" as it actually means something quite different in the audio world than what you are intending. A "balanced" cable is typically two conductors and a shield/drain/ground conductor, and utilizes three conductor connectors (like a microphone cable), typically XLR or tip/ring/sleeve for carrying "balanced" low impedance mic and line level signals. Where pin #1/sleeve = shield/drain/ground, pin #2/tip = +/positive and pin #3/ring = -/negative. I do however, get your thought of wanting the +positive and -negative wires to be the same size/gauge, although this is not typically referred to as balanced!

It should also be noted that there are many cables that appear to be "Y" cables, but actually perform very differet functions. One example is intended as an "insert" cable for send and return on mixing consoles and/or "splitter" for a stereo signal to two mono. This cable typicaly has a three conductor, Tip/Ring/Sleeve plug (1/4 inch or 1/8 inch) at one end, going to two separate, two conductor, Tip/Sleeve or RCA plugs. One of those two conductor Tip/Sleeve plugs is connected to the Tip and Sleeve of the Tip/Ring/Sleeve plug and the other two conductor Tip/Sleeve plug is connected to the Ring and Sleeve of the Tip/Ring/Sleeve plug. This cable configuration is also quite often used to "split" the left and right to two separate plugs, from a stereo headphone output. This will not function as a "Y" cable and should NEVER (as with any shielded cable) be used for speakers!

When one desires operating two speaker cabinets in parallel (without installed provisions for doing so), the best way is to build a small "all parallel" box with three Tip/Sleeve jacks, all wired together in parallel. Then simply run one actual speaker cable from the amp to the box and one speaker cable from the box to each of the two speaker cabinets. This provides a solid parallel set of connections, with no guesswork.

For amp to speaker interconnections, I "ALWAYS" use simple zip wire/lamp cord (minimum #18, but usually #16 gauge) for the cable. Cheap, easy to work with, very durable and will never get confused with a signal cablel!

The yellow one below has seen +35 years of regular use! I wish yellow zip was still commonly available. White and brown is typical, but just after the Christmas holidays, green and red zip wire extension cords are often available at fire sale prices! FWIW, cheap extension cords are a great resource for #16 gauge zip wire, in brown or white!

View attachment 108047

Just Cablin'
Gene
I suppose I should have stated "speaker" cable.
Mostly concerned that OP might be using some kind of "unbalanced" Y instrument cable.
I also agree that the best solution would be a parallel box and some proper speaker cables.
Thanks for the clarification.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
You woudn't use a Y cable for speakers. But a lot of cabinets have two jacks which will be in parallel if there's no stereo/mono switch with the jacks.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
You woudn't use a Y cable for speakers. But a lot of cabinets have two jacks which will be in parallel if there's no stereo/mono switch with the jacks.

There is nothing wrong with a "PROPERLY CONSTRUCTED" Y cable for speakers, BUT doing that "proper construction" is at least as tedious as building an all parallel box and some GOOD speaker cables.
Simply Speakin'
Gene

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I was thinking this too. But something about the crotch of the Y cable flexing all about, regardless of construction quality, while my $2,000+ amp is hooked up to it just doesn't fly with me.

Flexing crotches belong on the dance floor, along with bouncing,….. well you know! :cheers:

Just Flexin'
Gene

mallcorn

Reaction score
I'm going to make an uneducated guess here and assume the cable is a speaker cable and not an instrument cable and that it is wired in parallel - my answer would be 8 ohms just like if you plugged these two 16 ohm cabs into the speaker jacks of an amp head.

Smokie 54

Reaction score
Hello, Dominick!
It's perfectly fine to use a y-cable and this will result in an 8 ohm load. You can have total confidence. A y-cable will parallel the output which is what you want.

P.S. Plug the cabs into the output, not the input. :)

MW110

Reaction score
Don’t use a y-cable for speakers! Never! Don´t do it! I will kill your amp sooner or later by causing a shortcut.
Invest a few bucks and buy a Palmer cab merger. This is save and you can choose between parallel wiring (2 x 16 Ohms will be 8 Ohms) or seriell wiring (2 x 16 Ohm cabs will be 32Ohms).
And do not use a y-cable!

Attachments

• B985A13C-A07C-4C34-BF6F-597266EBC8B5.jpeg
    B985A13C-A07C-4C34-BF6F-597266EBC8B5.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 4

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Don’t use a y-cable for speakers! Never! Don´t do it! I will kill your amp sooner or later by causing a shortcut.
{snip}
And do not use a y-cable!
I disagree... A well done, properly soldered cable will be fine.

I made my own parallel box. Perfectly fine. @fitz288 also made him a couple boxes...

Latest posts