2 Heads Into 1 Cab

• Thread starter paul-e-mann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have 1 cab that I really like more than my other cabs. Is it ok to put a splitter on the cab jack to go to 2 heads? My intention is not to run both heads at the same time (although that might be cool now that I think about it) but to share the 1 cab out of convenience so I dont have to be messing with the cables every time I want to play one or the other head.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
nope, don't do that,.....definately no y cables.

youll need one of these....

Tonebone Headbone VT valve tube amp head switcher - introduction

Either that, or wire your cab stereo 8ohm......basically making your 4x12 into 2 2x12's.

The important thing to remember is that BOTH heads MUST have a load [speakers] Plugged in at ALL TIMES.....

Hope that helps

Over Drive

Reaction score
What Lester said.

If you have a 1960 cab with the stereo switching and two heads capable of running at 8 ohms you can run both heads into the cab in stereo without any issues. As long as you are running both at 8 ohms and not exceeding the cab's rating you are fine.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the Y cable gor plugging guitar into both amp heads (if you want them running at the same time).

+1 on putting the cab in stereo, and both heads setup in 8 ohms plugged 1 head on each side of the cab (left/right).

hbach

Reaction score
But would the Y cable work if only one head is on at a time? Thats what I'm really after.

The Output transformer of the turned off amp would still be in parallel to the speaker cab.

The stereo option mentioned is your cheapest solution.