2018 Dsl 40cr Full Review...

• Thread starter Bloodrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thembones

Reaction score
Its a push pull circuit so you will have a slight back and fourth between the tubes or bias drift... its normal.. Just try to align the drift to where each side is goign up and down aroudn the same values and its all good. Just keep in mind, the bias your checking using the stock test points are not the same as using a bias probe on the tube sockets and measuring that way. This is exactly why I returned the amp as the tubes could not be biased over 44% in my particular amp and this with trying multiple sets of tubes i have as spares including different manufacturers. I set my bias on all of my amps to about 73% to get out of crossover distortion. Otherwise the amp sounds sterile to my ears and I want it to sing personally :)

Thanks

I don’t know enough to know does this mean mine is messed up?
Or does this mean that since I was able to raise and lower mine I am ok?

I will say after I made that change I had the amp on the second channel in Green mode with the gain around 11 o’clock volume maybe noon and master down a little bit because I’m in an apartment
I was on 40 W and it had a nice growl
That’s the only way I know how to explain it just that nice aggressive sound

brianwrym1979

Reaction score
Yea it seems like your fine..... there will always be a slight drift due to voltage variances from the wall and the push/pull nature of the output stage

brianwrym1979

Reaction score
Yea I know.. it was 301 on high and like 215 on low. This is with the Dsl 40CR. I dont think others had that issue so it may be just my luck lol

musicman

Reaction score
My first gig with the new DSL40CR will be next Saturday - just "classic rock" covers in a small pub near Chesterfield UK.
I thought I would need the PEDL-91016 footswitch but I think classic gain red and ultra gain green with a Java Boost & TS9 will be enough with an eq in the loop for volume boost (I hope so anyway!)
I'll post a review.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
An EQ, or even better... a TC Spark, in your loop will give you more volume than you'll ever need.

On the bias note, I dropped mine down to 33. I was able to nail it, both sides, though it took a while. Damn OCD. I swapped V1 and V2 around, as I didn't really notice a difference with the Mesa 12ax7 in V1.

Amp sounds a lot better, though I attribute that more to the bias, than the tubes. I'm just not a big tube roller.

ken361

Reaction score
Well I solved my issues with the Marshall.... I bought a Bogner 1x12 and has built in delays, reverb and a solo boost option. All my issues with small amps not sounding like their big brothers are gone, this thing smokes the Marshall! :) https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...ist-series-112-40w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp
had one years ago too bad i didnt get enough loud time on it and traded it in for something else that I wanted. GC didnt sell very much of them the manager told me. The build quality was horrible every screw was loose even the chassis was caving in until i tightened everything down

brianwrym1979

Reaction score
I really dont mind any of that as I do my own repairs.. I played the amp for an hour before I realized that was the amp I was looking for. But on the Marshall topic, I just think that its silly to have to mod the new CR40 to fix a bad power tranny (Mine only had 301V on the plates) and also modify the tone stack to actually be musical without getting too much bass into the preamp with the gain dimed. The First one i had was the 40C version and this new 40CR version is def better, but compared to my other amps it just wont compete. This Alchemist smokes it stock!

Adelino Neto

Reaction score
Another video from the Australian youtuber name Shane David. He got a DSL40CR last month, as I mentioned in my last post. In this video, after hard use and gigs, he says this amp is his favorite now.

LCW

Reaction score
Decided to check bias on my 40CR this evening. Let it warm up for like 15-20 min. One tube was at 36.5 and the other at 38.0. I set them the same (or as close as I could) to around 35.2-35.3. I just used the external bias points. Didn't dig into to check plate voltage (never done it so a bit hesitant). So I don't really know how "correct" this is, but should be close. Was happy it wasn't in the 40's.

Didn't really notice much difference in sound to be honest, but at least I can rest easy knowing they are balanced the same.

Adelino Neto

Reaction score
Decided to check bias on my 40CR this evening. Let it warm up for like 15-20 min. One tube was at 36.5 and the other at 38.0. I set them the same (or as close as I could) to around 35.2-35.3. I just used the external bias points. Didn't dig into to check plate voltage (never done it so a bit hesitant). So I don't really know how "correct" this is, but should be close. Was happy it wasn't in the 40's.

Didn't really notice much difference in sound to be honest, but at least I can rest easy knowing they are balanced the same.

I'm hesitant too cuz never did something like that. Did you have any video of how to do it?

LCW

Reaction score
I'm hesitant too cuz never did something like that. Did you have any video of how to do it?

None that I found for the 40CR. There was a good video showing how to bias and check plate voltage for the 40C on youtube.

Between that and looking at the first post on this thread:

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/dsl40cr-pic-video-warning.101014/

I was able to figure out how to check and adjust bias. It's quite easy with the external bias points. Just have to take back cover off and have some patience because it's a lot of back and forth between sides to get the values equal between both tubes.

Adelino Neto

Reaction score
None that I found for the 40CR. There was a good video showing how to bias and check plate voltage for the 40C on youtube.

I was able to figure out how to check and adjust bias. It's quite easy with the external bias points. Just have to take back cover off and have some patience because it's a lot of back and forth between sides to get the values equal between both tubes.

Thanks man! I think you've inspired me to get this job done.

Reactions: LCW

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

What?