2018 Dsl 40cr Full Review...

• Thread starter Bloodrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jlinde1973

Reaction score
Yup just got mine and it's also going back. Got the same issue...almost sounds like blowing in a bottle. Kind of a windy hissy rumble at idle on both channels. Definitely some interference or shielding issues going on...not going to try another. Just been too much bad quality control with this amp. Wasnt overly impressed with the tone anyway.

Delete!!

Reaction score
Nothing worse than getting a defective piece of gear after waiting for it to arrive. Thankfully my 40CR has been working flawlessly. My issue has been with new Fender amps, specifically the Hot Rod series. I couldn’t find one that didn’t have a weird rattle or electrical issue. Finally I settled on a Super Champ X2 head and cab to get me by until I could find a bigger amp. I have a 1976 Deluxe Reverb that I love, but that amp needs some work and I only use it for special occasions anyway. That’s what led me to Marshall.

I was skeptical about buying a Vietnamese Marshall, but so far I am very happy and have been pleasantly surprised. I also have a 5CR and that amp has been perfect as well. I don’t regret my purchases. My only other Marshall was a JCM2000 DSL100 that I owned around 2004. For what it’s worth, I find my new DSL’s easier to dial in than my old UK model. The eq is drastically improved in my opinion.

BftGibson

Reaction score
more review...this thing is really becoming my main amp..and i have a plexie,3203 and jcm900, i dialed in classic channel to close to my plexie for that big fat chunky marshall crunch-rhytym and then Ultra green gain on 5 for super tight distortion and then kick to red for that slightly modern sound...it caused me to write a song on the spot last week in studio cause i jus heard sounthin dif i been missing..not going to say modern-or new but but for me it is in a way..so mid CD i am going to ride this amp out for the next 5 songs...thing i am finding out about this amp is..it really is Marshall..the way i want it..the old school basics but with some new attitude..which is helping me come out of my typical mindset and just dime this beast and let it rip..making it into head and with 2 x2x12 cabs made this thing open up..40 watts is right at that point of loud but not my plexie call the cops loud..but very usable 40 watts..also i worked with scooping but found i like my controls pretty noonish with the resonance and presence really changing sounds for each song..it is a super amp for consistent sounds for gigging,,,so glad i took a chance,,if they would of had the head at 50 watt i would of got that but the 40 seems kinda right in the ball park for my exact live volume setting

Delete!!

Reaction score
When the new DSL line first came out I was interested but turned my nose up at them when I found out where they were made. I assumed they weren’t “real” Marshall amps. Fast forward to the present - the other guitarist on my worship team started bringing a DSL40C and after listening to it several times a week for a couple of months I was convinced it was the real thing. I missed out on the 40C $399 deal but I’m more than happy with the 40CR, and the V-type speaker is excellent - much better than a 70-80. For the first time in a while I am happy with the stock speaker. The amp really projects sound well on stage, I can hear myself so much better and others have commented that my tone and presence in the mix have improved.

Delete!!

Reaction score
For anyone out there using pedals with this amp.....

Have you experienced any issues with certain drive pedals being extremely boomy at stage volume? I had to quit using my Deluxe Pinnacle because when I would strike a note (especially for solos) it would sound like a loud bass drummer kicking along. I turned the resonance all the way down and the bass is halfway, it certainly doesn’t sound too boomy when played clean. I temporarily replaced the Pinnacle with a Dirty Rat and a Tube Screamer (for boost) and it seems to be fine. I tried everything to get the Pinnacle to work and couldn’t find a good sound without the “bass drum” effect.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
This really makes the amp nice!

A0Kyhcw.jpg

qDBjjpn.jpg

Reactions: LCW

purpleplexi

Reaction score
For anyone out there using pedals with this amp.....

Have you experienced any issues with certain drive pedals being extremely boomy at stage volume? I had to quit using my Deluxe Pinnacle because when I would strike a note (especially for solos) it would sound like a loud bass drummer kicking along. I turned the resonance all the way down and the bass is halfway, it certainly doesn’t sound too boomy when played clean. I temporarily replaced the Pinnacle with a Dirty Rat and a Tube Screamer (for boost) and it seems to be fine. I tried everything to get the Pinnacle to work and couldn’t find a good sound without the “bass drum” effect.
I find that at house volumes even without pedals. This amp has a lot of bass response. That bass booomph that you get when you hit the strings is something I really don't like. I knock all or almost all the bass off and I have resonance down really low. Luckily that's how I like it to sound - for me the less bass there is the better. Bass is the bass player's job.

xeizo

Reaction score
I find that at house volumes even without pedals. This amp has a lot of bass response. That bass booomph that you get when you hit the strings is something I really don't like. I knock all or almost all the bass off and I have resonance down really low. Luckily that's how I like it to sound - for me the less bass there is the better. Bass is the bass player's job.

That's what I really liked about my new Creambacks(4x12) using the DSL20H, the very very tight bass. No overlap with the bassplayer at all. With the (much)cheaper Celestions I used before I had to turn bass down on the amp to reduce boom, not any more. That is at band volume with a drummer.

Delete!!

Reaction score

I went ahead and tested the same setup through my 1976 Deluxe Reverb (Creamback equipped) and had the exact same issue at what would be stage volume for me. For me, a lot of the problem is the Pinnacle, and the Dirty Rat that replaced it sounds incredible and isn’t boomy at all. We just played an outdoor concert here Sunday afternoon, and the amp sounded amazing. With the resonance all the way down it seems to carry enough low end and punch for my taste.

I will concede that any pedals with a judicious amount of low end will probably be problematic with this amp though. Your comment about the bass is spot on. I had been using my amp for a few weeks and didn’t hear the problem until our bass player was gone one night - then all I could hear was my boomy amp. Now it’s fairly well balanced and all seems to be well, bass or no bass.

This amp continues to serve me well, and works well with all of my guitars - even my 73 Gretsch Tennessean. I’m still very happy with it - and I finally have a loud amp that doesn’t rattle my head off or make strange noises. So far, so good.

LCW

Reaction score
Yes! Pitbull Audio. Sticker shock though- $200!

I got excited when I saw Thomann was selling for $120, but then realized they won’t ship that item to the US. :(

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
I got excited when I saw Thomann was selling for $120, but then realized they won’t ship that item to the US. :(
Yeah I tried that too! Someone on here said they found a dealer somewhere who quoted $150 but it would be mid July before they’d have any.

cvansickle

Reaction score
Yeah I tried that too! Someone on here said they found a dealer somewhere who quoted $150 but it would be mid July before they’d have any.

That was me. I heard from said dealer the other day and they said that now Marshall is pulling back on the distribution. They have no idea when they will have the switches. Apparently Pitbull scored the exclusivity on this item, and thus set the price.

I'm working on configuring my current MIDI setup to make these changes. I found my old MIDI Solutions Event Processor and I'm going to see if it can work in my rig. I need about 50 program changes mapped to the four channel settings. If it doesn't work I'll just break down and buy the PEDL-91016. I'll report my findings when I have an answer.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
That's what I really liked about my new Creambacks(4x12) using the DSL20H, the very very tight bass. No overlap with the bassplayer at all. With the (much)cheaper Celestions I used before I had to turn bass down on the amp to reduce boom, not any more. That is at band volume with a drummer.
I guess I really do need to throw a creamback in there.....

rbrtlgss

Reaction score
I've had the dsl 40cr for a week, had very little time to play it due to work, got the midi switching sorted with a line 6 helix which I will be using for effects.
Picking up a creamback neo tomorrow to throw in.I'm not totally happy with the v-type, that kind of slightly muffled mid forward sound isn't really my thing, I'd rather get a clearer speaker and turn up the mids

I'll report my thoughts once fitted
I've been trying to get my Helix to control my 40CR for the past few days...even had a line 6 tech on the phone, can't seem to get it to work..

How did you ultimately get yours to work?

I love the sounds from this amp, and combined with the helix, it's killer, the only thing left is having complete control of it

Thanks in advance

cspencer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was looking for info on DSL40CR and found this thread. Can't believe I missed it completely!

I've upgraded mine with NOS Mullards (I61, I63, M8137 and XF2) and Celestion Gold speaker. I have a set of Mercury Magnetics PT, OT and Choke on it's way. Does anyone know which cap the choke is supposed to replace? R63? R71.

Please don't say it's not worth spending on an "entry-level" amp :lalala: This amp is my "keeper" and I find the DSL40CR more versatile in genre and transportability, and with the upgrade it can match AC15HW1X, DSL50C, JCM800 combo/lead series. I only "need" the footswitch and a delay pedal in the loop.
20181217_141457_zpsiuab1e8m.jpg

20181217_141406_zpsln9cdjcq.jpg

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The choke replaces a resistor, I *believe* it’s R135 - 220 ohm @ 5w but don’t quote me: I’m just seeing the schematic for the first time this evening for the ‘R’ DSL’s.

cspencer

Reaction score
The choke replaces a resistor, I *believe* it’s R135 - 220 ohm @ 5w but don’t quote me: I’m just seeing the schematic for the first time this evening for the ‘R’ DSL’s.
Thanks for that. Apparently not many people know this amp. They're all referring to the older 40c or 50c. MM had to specially make the OT and PT for me.