2018 Dsl 40cr Full Review...

• Thread starter Bloodrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure they are still fairly new and the schematic was, until recently, impossible to locate. I think we will see a lot more understanding of this line in the near future.

cspencer

Reaction score
Sure they are still fairly new and the schematic was, until recently, impossible to locate. I think we will see a lot more understanding of this line in the near future.
I found a service manual online that appears to have reverb, so I guess that must be my amp. But the OT and PT are different to what I have. However, the PT in that manual has a low voltage connection which is similar. And what puzzles me is that there's no C19 in this model. No bright cap to mod I suppose

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a service manual online that appears to have reverb, so I guess that must be my amp. But the OT and PT are different to what I have. However, the PT in that manual has a low voltage connection which is similar. And what puzzles me is that there's no C19 in this model. No bright cap to mod I suppose

It’s there, with a different number. To my eyes C19 has turned into C73 @ 470p. Whether it needs to be modified is another question, my 100HR channels seem more balanced than my old 40c were.

cspencer

Reaction score
Last edited:

bacardi

Reaction score
That was a great review. I said this is a good amp. As you know I installed the Cel. Cream Alnico 90w and great tubes. I had the Bias set by my Tech friend. My amp sounds Great been telling all you guy's great amp.

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

_ripper_

Reaction score
It’s there, with a different number. To my eyes C19 has turned into C73 @ 470p. Whether it needs to be modified is another question, my 100HR channels seem more balanced than my old 40c were.

I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that C74 is the bright cap on that schematic, and it's labeled as NF (not fitted).

cspencer

Reaction score
That is not a service manual.
It is the original version schematic.
Hi Micky,
I did see the date but the reverb on the schematic confused me.

No, that’s the 2012 DSL schematic. I’m working off the new Nov 2016 dated schematic for the 40CR/100HR.
Hi K2JLX,
I emailed a few techs around Sydney about replacing my OT/PT/choke. They all said they could do it, except one, who is also a Marshall service tech. He said he wasn't familiar with this model and would purchase a service manual if unsure (I think he meant schematic). But he is an hour's drive away! Is it really that difficult for experienced techs to install OT/PT? Just wondering if I should play it safe.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Micky,
I did see the date but the reverb on the schematic confused me.

Hi K2JLX,
I emailed a few techs around Sydney about replacing my OT/PT/choke. They all said they could do it, except one, who is also a Marshall service tech. He said he wasn't familiar with this model and would purchase a service manual if unsure (I think he meant schematic). But he is an hour's drive away! Is it really that difficult for experienced techs to install OT/PT? Just wondering if I should play it safe.
No, it is not extremely difficult, I outlined it in detail in my DSL40c thread.
It is always best to have an experienced teck work on your amp, especially if you are unfamiliar or unsure how to do the mod.

cspencer

Reaction score
No, it is not extremely difficult, I outlined it in detail in my DSL40c thread.
It is always best to have an experienced teck work on your amp, especially if you are unfamiliar or unsure how to do the mod.
Hi Micky,
I read a lot of your posts, some repeatedly. Thanks so much for contributing. There were posts in that mega thread about replacing OT/choke. Just wasn't sure if it applies to this model.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
The specifics are a bit different, but the basic approach is the same. It will be difficult to find a replacement PT, but the OEM PT is fine. The OT has 3 outputs but ClassicTone makes a replacement. Your tech ought to be able to handle it easily.

cspencer

Reaction score
The specifics are a bit different, but the basic approach is the same. It will be difficult to find a replacement PT, but the OEM PT is fine. The OT has 3 outputs but ClassicTone makes a replacement. Your tech ought to be able to handle it easily.
Hi Micky,

That's very reassuring. I really don't want to drive that far when there are techs nearer to me.

BTW, Mercury Magnetics is making both OT and PT for me. The OT they had was without a 4ohm speaker so they have to build one. As for PT, they have one MAR-DSL40C-P which has a low voltage winding. ClassicTone doesn't have that.

I reread a post of yours about choke replacement and I'm guessing the capacitor to replace on this new model is as arrowed below.

choke%20replacement_zpseis7jn2s.png

Last edited:

Joeleoj

Reaction score
For anyone out there using pedals with this amp.....

Have you experienced any issues with certain drive pedals being extremely boomy at stage volume? I had to quit using my Deluxe Pinnacle because when I would strike a note (especially for solos) it would sound like a loud bass drummer kicking along. I turned the resonance all the way down and the bass is halfway, it certainly doesn’t sound too boomy when played clean. I temporarily replaced the Pinnacle with a Dirty Rat and a Tube Screamer (for boost) and it seems to be fine. I tried everything to get the Pinnacle to work and couldn’t find a good sound without the “bass drum” effect.
I have the same exact problem. There's a weird bass artifact happening on any OD/distortion pedal I've used that has a bass knob. My trusty red Jekyll&Hyde works perfectly with it though. Seem's like I'm never gonna outgrow that pedal though...

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Damn it , I get out of DSL world now I found the video . Am am surprised how good the amp sounds compared to the old one. However there are some issues with volume drop and switching ?

EC Strat

Reaction score
i know this is an old thread but had some questions : i have the newer version of the DSL 40 (post 2018) and find that the trebles, while better, can still be strident / ice picky I think the bright cap in the new DSL's are C73 for the red channels and C61 for the green.

Does anyone know if this is correct? Has anyone dropped in lower value caps at these positions ?

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Turn the treble and presence down. No mods needed. Treble on 1/4 presence 1/3 ish give or take. It's a beautiful thing.