• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

2061cx Cab-4 Ohm?

• Thread starter monk77
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

monk77

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just got a 2061cx cabinet to match my beloved 2061x head. The guy I bought it from has replaced the original speakers with 20W Celestions G12M (heritage). These speakers are at 15 ohms each and I am wondering if the overall resistance of the cabinet is at 8 ohms, since by the looks of it, it seems they are parallel-connected. Am I right?
photo_zpsbjvdif9h.jpg

a>

monk77

Reaction score
Sorry about the title and the "4 ohm?" part! Obviously I meant 8 ohms!!!!

jack daniels

Reaction score
Congrats, and welcome to the club...

*It looks to be wired (in parallel or to 8 Ohms), and the guy you bought it from did a very nice wiring job. Be sure and give us all a 'heads up' after you've connected the head and played through it a bit* ;)

Blueslicks

Reaction score
Had that exact rig and used the Heritage G12M20's. One of the best tones I ever achieved. Needed it louder and replaced the G12M20's with Heritage G12H30 75hz and achieved a vastly different but just as satisfying tone. Both Heritage versions suit that amp in an almost perfect manner to my ears. I'll never understand the decision to put those stock G12H30 Anniversary speakers in that cab. Just sounded completely underwhelming when paired with the matching head IMO.

monk77

Reaction score
Thank you! Always wanted a Marshall rig but never seemed to get along with everything that came after the JCM 800 series. However, the 2061 set is exactly suited for my needs in recording & giging. I managed to fetch the set from a guy that new his stuff and kept it in mint condition but most of all I managed to get it at a great price since I could never pay the premium for buying it new! Since I'm kind of busy these days, I'll try to post an NAD pretty soon with photos and a detailed description of how it sounds. Those G12m heritage speakers already feel great in this cab, even in low volumes!

Guitar-Rocker

Reaction score
Estero, Florida formerly from Indianapolis
I had a 2061 clone built by SourMash, it has Scumbacks H75 in it. It sounded like a blanket was over it at first, then I had Bob build a semi open back for it. It has the very best tone ever. It's my personal rig, and what I take to the guitar and amp shows, and everyone can't believe how good it sounds.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Terry, how is the semi open back on your SM 2061CX cab configured? Open top half, closed bottom half or vice versa? Or even a three piece? Everybody badmouths the stock Celestion G12H Anniversarys that come stock with the Marshall 2061CX cab but I love their 'syrupy' midrange as it has been described. Using my Les Paul Premium Plus and my Keeley/Boss Blues Driver (w/phat switch), I get sweet Gary Moore tones as well as many classic rock tones which is good enough for me.

T.J.

Reaction score
Have a Sourmash clone as well . Loaded with (2) Marshall Celestion G12C-25w . Sounds great.

Guitar-Rocker

Reaction score
Estero, Florida formerly from Indianapolis
Terry, how is the semi open back on your SM 2061CX cab configured? Open top half, closed bottom half or vice versa? Or even a three piece? Everybody badmouths the stock Celestion G12H Anniversarys that come stock with the Marshall 2061CX cab but I love their 'syrupy' midrange as it has been described. Using my Les Paul Premium Plus and my Keeley/Boss Blues Driver (w/phat switch), I get sweet Gary Moore tones as well as many classic rock tones which is good enough for me.

I had Bob build a oval opening, centered vertical