2061X questions (vs 1974, and should I buy one?)

• Thread starter gypsyblues73
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gypsyblues73

Reaction score
I heard or read once that these amps are the same, just the head and combo versions. Is that true, and do they actually sound the same? Also, can you run an A/B box into the normal and bass channels of the 2061X, or is it one of those where if it's plugged into one side, the other won't work? And lastly, out of all the amps I have with probably the most similar tones, I have an SV20, Origin50, and the 50-watt Vintage Modern. Would a 2061X (or 1974 combo) be too redundant for me?

steveb63

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^
Great amp.... compares in no way to the 1974. IMO, IME, YMMV Etc..

gypsyblues73

Reaction score
And out of the amps I listed is it similar in any way? All I've heard is YT clips, but to me it sounded very Paul Kossoff-ish most of the time.

steveb63

Reaction score
Superior, then?
Just to my ears. It's definitely a stiffer feeling model.

Used to run mine 7-8 volume, OCD out front into a pair of Greenbacks. Had to sell, no choice on the matter, oh well.

They are a different type of Marshall, more of a SuperLead sound rather than the "creamy" type of o.d. Lot's of info if you do a search or two.

All this is IMHO, YMMV etc.... it's all subjective - no "best"?

JohnH

Reaction score
I wanted one one for years! But now that want is replaced by GAS for an SV20. I know they're not the same, but I reckon they are all aiming at approximately the same tonal wish-list.

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
Now I want another one, I still have the cab 2061CX
I still have two sets of NOS Pelham EL84’s I bought for it .

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I heard or read once that these amps are the same, just the head and combo versions. Is that true, and do they actually sound the same? Also, can you run an A/B box into the normal and bass channels of the 2061X, or is it one of those where if it's plugged into one side, the other won't work? And lastly, out of all the amps I have with probably the most similar tones, I have an SV20, Origin50, and the 50-watt Vintage Modern. Would a 2061X (or 1974 combo) be too redundant for me?
Both amps run EL84's in the output section, which have a different character than EL34's. Also, the 1974 has 2 preamp tubes, where the 2061 has one, so I'd assume the 1974 can produce higher gain tones than the 2061.

ken Tucky

Reaction score
2061x uses two EL84 and two 12AX7 while a 1974x uses two EL84, three 12AX7 and one EZ81 / 6CA4 Rectifier Tube. Hence the 2061x has a solid state rectifier (like a JMP 1987 / 1959) and the 1974x has a tube rectifier (like a JTM45). Soundwise the differences between a 2061x and a 1974x are somewhat similar to the differences between a JMP 1987 / 1959 and a JTM45. The 1974x gets dirty a bit quicker (maybe because of the tremelo circuit) and while it isn't as bass heavy as a JTM45, it does have the rectifier sag giving it the squishy lead character that is reminiscant of the JTM45. The 2061x is tighter with a bit more headroom but definately gets the gain going with some volume. Both amps are extremely sensitive to speaker choice which can shape the tonal response dramatically depending on a players desired sound. Both models do ACDC, ZZ Top, Zep, FREE type classic rock convincingly. Amazing sounding amps both of them and IMO you can't go wrong with either choice. A dual dilemna of "do you want a combo or a head" and "do you want a JMP or a JTM (without the added bass heavy response a JTM45 has).

Last edited:

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
It would be cool to play them side by side.
It was 8 years between the 2061 and the SV20H for me

V-man

Reaction score
Hmmm well I have the SV20 and the mini Jubilee. You think I'd be disappointed in the 2061X?

You have to answer that. Some people can content themselves owning nothing but 4-8 JMPs or JCMs, enjoying the nuances to the “same thing” all over. Other people have just as many amps made by completely different brands to approach the same style of music differenly.

Which would be most disappointing: sounding ”just like” the SV 20, sounding nothing like the SV 20 or sounding different than the SV 20 but no less “plexi-ish,” each in their own way?

Keep in mind, both amps admirably fulfill the “way smaller than 1959/87“ (for better and worse) and both are way too loud running properly in the home, so it’s more of the same regardless of how close of far apart they sound vs each other/a plexi.

goldtop0

Reaction score
As has been said the SV and ST I think are the more robust sounding amps compared to the 2061 and 1974, different tubes and circuitry.
Have had a 74X for many years now and of late have bought the Studio ones, plus they're way more versatile with the channel bridging.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Hmmm well I have the SV20 and the mini Jubilee. You think I'd be disappointed in the 2061X?
It has a plexi like tone. But its not as ballsy, full, and dynamic sounding.
Its kinda a mini Studio Vintage. Not loud enough to play out.
Want something new I suggest a Studio Classic. Excellent.

eastwood6

Reaction score
Had a 2061x and the matching cab, and the 1974x. Still have the combo. Sold the half stack as am space constrained at my abode. Major regret!

Very different sounding amps. You can turn up the 1974x and get a rich distortion sound, the 2061x has more headroom and really doesn’t break up much on its own unless you dime it or boost it. Works well as a pedal platform. Beautiful build quality on both with the hand wired circuit.

I found both amps plenty loud for a classic rock or blues band or jam situation. These are not metal amps! Good luck with your decision.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Unless you're specifically interested in an EL84 amp that has that EL84 distortion character, I'd say probably. I've only owned one amp with EL84's in the power section, t think it was a VHT Pitbull 45, and it did have a different sound, but it's long gone and not been missed.

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had both a 2061x and SV20 in the stable at the same time. For me the SV20 made the 2061x redundant. The 2061x is not a mini Plexi apart from the similar looks. It has an EL84 power section which to me has it's own mojo. Not Plexi, not JTM45. It's own sound. The four channels work in the exact same way as on any other Marshall 4 holer. You can jumper the channels or seperate and combine them with an a/b/y pedal.
They are great amps, but there was always something about mine that bothered me. I wasn't able to get "that tone" until I got an SV20. There it was in spades.
The 2061x got swapped for a JTM45 (Bluesbreaker) combo and I have no hankering after that tone again.
Mine was fecking LOUD!!. Way louder than the SV20. I know plenty of people who have used one at big gigs. I think Jem Archer (Noel Gallagher's guitarist) used one at Glastonbury.

Last edited: