• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

212 cab for epiphone valve junior

• Thread starter dylansdad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dylansdad

Reaction score
So, I'm looking for a cab to use with my epiphone valve junior head 5watt. It has options on the back for 4, 8 and 16 ohms. I currently run it through an eminence AX-75 watt speaker which is in my Marshall ma 50 combo. This is great as I can use it at home without the need for another cab. But I would like to invest in a separate cab that I can leave in the garage and just throw in the car when needed to take to band practise with the epiphone head. I've been looking at the Harley Benton cabs loaded with vintage 30s they do 112 and 212 versions. I have heard good and bad reviews about these. My other option is the Marshall MX series of cabs with 70-80 speakers. Any suggestions will be welcome thanks

od and bad reviews about these cabs

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
The vintage 30 speaker has 100db sensitivity, the seventy 80 has 98db sensitivity. The vintage 30 would be a little louder. That might be a consideration if you are running a 5 watt amp in a band setting.

dylansdad

Reaction score
The vintage 30 speaker has 100db sensitivity, the seventy 80 has 98db sensitivity. The vintage 30 would be a little louder. That might be a consideration if you are running a 5 watt amp in a band setting.
That's good to know thanks. Only be using the valve junior for band practise as I use the MA50 for gigs. Just looking for something easier to transport for practise as the ma 50 weighs about 26kg.

Amadeus91

Reaction score
That's good to know thanks. Only be using the valve junior for band practise as I use the MA50 for gigs. Just looking for something easier to transport for practise as the ma 50 weighs about 26kg.
That is a cool little amp, there are many cool mods for it.
Good luck with the cab search.

Wildeman

Reaction score
A nice 2x12 cab is a good thing to have, your budget would help with the suggestions, but the two V30 combo sounds good to me, after that it'll be about name and material/ construction features.

dylansdad

Reaction score

This is the vintage 30 cab I was thinking about. Should I get this or spend a bit more and get the Marshall MX 212 ?

72Jazzmaster

Reaction score
I just bought a 1936 with Celestion vintage speakers. Today I haveused it side by siede with my Orange 2 x 12 Box with open back. I'm quite shattered how much better the 1936 sounds.
Until yesterday I thought the Orange was a decent cabinet. Now I'm thinking about getting rid of it and buying anotzher 1936.

paradox419

Reaction score

This is the vintage 30 cab I was thinking about. Should I get this or spend a bit more and get the Marshall MX 212 ?

MX212AR moved back into it's box.

HB almost always has 2 mics crammed up against it.

IMG_20221114_191102.jpg

junk notes

Reaction score
So, I'm looking for a cab to use with my epiphone valve junior head 5watt. It has options on the back for 4, 8 and 16 ohms. I currently run it through an eminence AX-75 watt speaker which is in my Marshall ma 50 combo. This is great as I can use it at home without the need for another cab. But I would like to invest in a separate cab that I can leave in the garage and just throw in the car when needed to take to band practise with the epiphone head. I've been looking at the Harley Benton cabs loaded with vintage 30s they do 112 and 212 versions. I have heard good and bad reviews about these. My other option is the Marshall MX series of cabs with 70-80 speakers. Any suggestions will be welcome thanks

od and bad reviews about these cabs
The complimenting Epiphone 1x12 openback matching extension cab is equipped with an Eminence Lady Luck and is a 70 watt, as is the newer Celestion V-type G12.
Again, the matching 1x12 cab is an openback. 2x 1x12 would sound very good. (2x16Ω jumped cabs for 8Ω.)

Although you have posted your choices, financing a loaded 2x12 might be a challenge to put together. (The Marshall MX series with 70-80 speakers will have better resale value)
There are many options with openback, closeback, ported, and there are convertibles, with a wide price range for your budget.
(These 70 watt 16
Ω cabs can be had very cheap and would compliment nicely and voiced for the head, but YMMV.)

JJB79

Reaction score
I would say it's a pretty good cab, but I was more or less comparing it to a Mesa cab when I got it. I'm not sure how it compares for a Marshall cab with vintage 30s or similar in it? I can't comment much on it for your case though as I have zero clue what that is for a head, or what you're playing. If you are also thinking of Harley Benton for anything else, or Thomann in general, I suggest checking other stuff out because of shipping costs. I've ordered from them Twice. They tend to increase shipping with every 2 guitars, so you can get a guitar along with this and it wouldn't increase your shipping. I got some packs of their valuestrings, at 1.22 a pack if they're a dud, no big loss. If they aren't a dude, I can set myself up for life on my next order for cheap.

Latest posts