• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

You’re just trying to trick us

• Thread starter Australian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
One is a state, where I live, and the other is the capital of the USA.

Both Washington state and Washington D.C. were named after our first elected President George Washington.

It bugs my wife when newscasters leave out the D.C. part.

D.C. stands for District of Columbia.

Our nation's capital is a district, not a state, because they wanted our capital to be on neutral ground rather than one state being in charge of it.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
One is a state, where I live, and the other is the capital of the USA.

Both Washington state and Washington D.C. were named after our first elected President George Washington.

It bugs my wife when newscasters leave out the D.C. part.

D.C. stands for District of Columbia.

Our nation's capital is a district, not a state, because they wanted our capital to be on neutral ground rather than one state being in charge of it.

I knew all of that, but someone less read might accidentally catch the wrong flight. But even so there’s no excuse for spelling Arkensaw with an “a & s”.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I knew all of that, but someone less read might accidentally catch the wrong flight. But even so there’s no excuse for spelling Arkensaw with an “a & s”.
There is no "e" or "w" in Arkansas.

Every country has weird names in places that aren't spelled like they sound. English can be a tough language, especially American English.

When a word like "fly" can mean a pest, a means of transportation, or an intimate part of your apparel, for example, it's no wonder people get confused. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Arkansas, like many US place names, comes from a native American word. The Europian speelings varied over the years in many cases.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank the French for that one. They just make that fancy shit up as they go along. It's a wonder we can even read their recipes.

"Les sangsues sont sans succès"

Latest posts