• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

2205 vs 2204

• Thread starter bennieusmaximus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been using my 4212 for rehearsal the last couple weeks . Now the funny thing was ,I was using a borrowed SG-X that was at the space. It had a fairly crappy pickup in it ,didn't sound so great. I thought it was the 4212 and the V-30s I had left in it,until one day I took my p-90'd '61 Melody Maker over there. ......Man,it was night & day .That amp started to sound quite rich & thick
Meanwhile this tinker dude we know is moving to India. So he leaves a box of electronic parts with my kid to give to me . In the box among other broken stuff was a non-working hi-fi amp. In that amp were a pair of (presumed working) GE 7581's

So I go back over there with the tubes AND a pair of WGS ET-65's. Screw in the speakers, bias up the tubes ...and away we go....how sweet it is .....
MAN, this amp is kickin my ass!
I only use a beefed up (un-clean) clean channel BTW. Cant recall what all did to it as it was 10 years ago and I write nothing down . Probably changed a resistor /bypass cap value on the 1st tube ,pulled the brite cap and raised the coupling cap value a bit in the PI output side.
But anyhow , I like it better than the gain channel. It's right up there in classic Marshall territory.

GreaserMatt

Reaction score
^^^ The right guitar makes all the difference; I own a late 80's 2205, but lust after a 2204, LOL... my 2205 gets the job done though...