2x12 cabinet for JVM

• Thread starter sgstratdude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sgstratdude

Reaction score
I just picked up a JVM 210 head today. I'm in need of a cabinet.

I'd like to find something versatile that goes from 60s blues rock to 80s RATT and Van Halen... 90s rock...and clean funky stuff. I'd like to keep it under 500 bucks used. No mdf.

What I had in mind.

1. Marshall 1936. Full Ply if I can find it. Problem is there isn't ANY used ones listed on ebay or locally on Craigslist.
2. Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cab. Seems like a super solid cab. Seems readily available. I can pick one up in good shape for 425-475 in these parts.
3. Avatar Vintage 2x12 with a pair of Creamback 65s.
4. EVH 5150 iii 2x12 cab. I would likely have to sell/swap the speakers (would be easy to find someone) since it can't handle 100 watts. Already have a nice broken in UK made V30 in the closet to throw in. Probably go the V30/CL80 combo in this one. Tilt back feature could come in handy.
5. ???????????

What else should I be looking at? I'm thinking a cab with Vintageish speakers that can do the occasional modern stuff if needed. From experience it doesn't seem to work the other way around very well.

Velvet Revolver, Smashing Pumpkins, Ratt, Alice In Chains, ACDC, ZZ Top, Audioslave, Rush, Zeppelin, GNR, Aerosmith, Tool, Van Halen, 311, Foo Fighters, STP, Joe Walsh, Black Keys, The Who, Sublime, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Cadblaster

Reaction score
My vote would be the Avatar cab. Just so happens I swapped some speakers in one of my Avatar's to a V30/CL80 combination recently. Liking it so far.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a JVM 210 head through a 1936 ply made in 2011. It has Celestion T-75s in it, and I like the tones. I second Avatar, where you get a nice wood cabinet and your choice of speakers. I'm pretty sure you can get a full 2x12 for less than $500.

stalefish

Reaction score
Avatar. $450 brand new right to your door.

Dust Bowl

Reaction score
I use a Marshall 1936v 2x12 cab. It is loaded with Vintage 30s (60w) that will give you a slightly more Mid rich tone, but will cover all the ground you are talking about.

Check out the youtube videos on the Media page here dustbowlbluesband.co.uk

stalefish

Reaction score
I think V30s are good in a 2x12 because they're loud (100db) and their midrange helps combat the inherently small sound of a 2x12 box.

Although if you go with the Avatar cabs, they're quite big for a 2x12.

jross68052

Reaction score
For $300 you can get a brand new Blackstar with Celestion 70-80's. This is a great cab for the money and will match the JVM head quite well

Pat6969

Reaction score
I can attest to the quality of the Mesa cab. Built like a tank. They even solder all the connections to the speaker and jack.

sgstratdude

Reaction score
For $300 you can get a brand new Blackstar with Celestion 70-80's. This is a great cab for the money and will match the JVM head quite well

I've actually used them before and yes they are quite nice. I believe they are open back, mdf, with Celestion 70/80s?

I'm trying to stay closed back, full ply, and a nice pair of Celestions for this cab.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Looks like Avatar is the way to go.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'd keep your eye out for a 1936 cab with 75's. Sounds fantastic with a JVM.

sgstratdude

Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is between a regular 1936 cab and a "1936 E" cab? I've seen a few with the "E" at the end. Have no clue what the difference could be.

sgstratdude

Reaction score
Just ordered an empty Avatar Vintage 2x12 cab. Black. Black/Silver weave grill cloth. White piping. Along with a Kent Custom 1/4" road case for it.

mmmmmmmm... now just need to figure out what speakers I want to run. Right now Creamback 75s are at the top of the list.

Last edited:

sgstratdude

Reaction score
Cab came in today. It is absolutely wonderfully made. Camera struggled a bit on the grill cloth. It's black/silver weave. Looks like avatar has a new way they do logos. Instead of just gluing it on its now 'sunk' into the wood. I like it a lot.

Cadblaster

Reaction score
Congrads !
What speakers did you order with it ?
Let us know how it sounds. (After it's a little broken in :D)

sgstratdude

Reaction score
Congrads !
What speakers did you order with it ?
Let us know how it sounds. (After it's a little broken in :D)

thanks. I ordered it with a pair of G12H-75 Creambacks.

We are supposed to get up to 3 inches of snow tonight. If so I'll probably spend most of the night and tomorrow snowed in giving it a good break in :slash:.

sgstratdude

Reaction score
After a few days with it all I can say is I'm very happy with the Avatar. I've used Marshall, Mesa, Orange cabs mostly for the last 16 years and this is my first Avatar. It's definitely a quality piece of kit. Creamback speakers are IMO excellent and the cab sounds huge.
IMAG0044_zpssbadg2ok.jpg