2x12 slant build. (Or hey! I have an idea!)

• Thread starter Kendall124
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kendall124

Reaction score
Howdy gang.
Ok, been wanting (2) Marshall 2x12 vert’s for a while. They’re just what I need for my wet / dry /wet set up. I even posted an ad here in the wanted section. No luck. Trying to save a couple of bucks and buy used because….
SV / SC series $1200 ea. new? No!
Origin MDF $600 ea. new???
Zoiks.
Tried to find some old Carvin V212’s. Nope.
Tubeworks? Genz Benz? Nothing. Anything that appeared on Reverb was local pick up only.
*** Did I say they must be matching? That would make me way too twitchy if they weren’t.***

What’s a guy to do?
Wait, I know. I have a crappy Peavey 6505 4x12 (MDF) sitting here doing nothing. Let’s butcher it.

Measure measure measure measure. Oh dear God, don’t be a pu**y, just cut the damn thing.
IMG_1614.jpeg
FYI yes, I removed the speakers first. Somebody might want ‘em. I guess. They’re on OfferUp for cheap.
IMG_1615.jpeg
No looking back now.
Piping? Naw, spacers, upholstery glue, and some clamps.
IMG_1615.jpeg
Down to Home Depot for some plywood. Not Marine grade 3/4” but whatever, it’s still nice stuff. Traced the sides. Cut them out. Screwed them on. Use the router to trim off the access. Quarter inch round over bit to make them look pretty. Ordered a couple of 1/4” jacks with jack plates from Amazon. Spent an hour online looking for Marshall slant cabinet corner plates. Out of stock everywhere. Marshall logos? Hmm, my hypocrisy might not go that far. Holy crap those things are expensive.
New plywood sides are currently drying in the driveway after being sprayed with truck bedliner.
More pics soon.

Kendall124

Reaction score
All right, let’s keep this train a rollin’.
Rattle can truck bedliner didn’t have a whole bunch of texture to it. It’s OK, no one‘s gonna see that side of them anyway.
Loaded each with a 75 and a 30. Both are 8ohm wired in series equaling 16 per cab. My 4x12 is already in an X pattern with the same speakers. Now, when all the cabinets are lined up, they equal a double X.
IMG_1626.jpeg
Let’s close ‘em up. Jack plates installed. Metal corners installed. Casters off of the 4x12. Line ‘em up. Head and effects unit on top. Wire it up.

I stood back and took a look. Huge smile on my face. This is exactly the image I had in my head all along.
Let’s power her up. Ran through the normal checklist (Variac, EQ, Helix, pedalboard) before hitting the standby button.
It works!! Sounds f-ing amazing.

Thanks for following along.

IMG_1643.jpeg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

Latest posts