• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

3 x Vintage Marshall PA20s, '71 and '72, Superb Condition

• Thread starter surfguy13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

surfguy13

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have 3 Marshall PA20 heads; one is a '71 and the other two are '72. All three are, as far as I'm aware, completely original bar valves and all are in amazing condition. I no longer need 3 so wish to sell two of them.

There are detailed photos of each amp on my Photobucket page for which you can links below. Seems pointless uploading a load of photos to this post when you can check each album out individually:

1971 Marshall PA20 Photos by guymerchant | Photobucket

Marshall PA 20 1972 2 Photos by guymerchant | Photobucket

Marshall PA20 1972 2 Photos by guymerchant | Photobucket

The only thing that may have changed since taking the photos is the valves, not sure what valves are in each amp now but will happily install a new set of JJs.

As you can see, two of the amps have bulgin plugs and leads and one is factory hardwired.

All three amps are in perfect order throughout and are virtually silent when running. They have always been looked after throughout their lives and regularly used.

I live in the UK but will happily ship anywhere worldwide (well, not Africa and a few other choice locations!!). If you live in the UK you are very welcome to come and try them. I live just north of Cambridge.

I'd like £975 each for them which is a fair and reasonable price I think considering their condition and the fact that a reissue is going to cost over a grand to buy!!

Any questions please ask and if you want more photos just say the word. I can upload more to Photobucket or email them direct to you.

Cheers

Guy

NarbneK

Reaction score
Those are fantastic looking amps, Guy. My 2061X sounds pretty good.. But I bet those sound like heaven. Wish I had the money.

surfguy13

Reaction score
Those are fantastic looking amps, Guy. My 2061X sounds pretty good.. But I bet those sound like heaven. Wish I had the money.

Yes, they are wonderful little amps! :) Hugely underrated in my opinion. I much prefer them to the 50 watt heads but that's purely a personal thing and probably more to do with EL34s versus EL84s than anything else. I have an early 60s AC30 so my ears are tuned in to EL84s.

The 2061X is a really nice amp and although it's a 'modern' spin on the old PA20s and Lead and Bass 20s they sound pretty damn good. Not everything old is always the best and Marshall is making some really nice amps these days, particularly the JMP reissues. When you run a 50watt reissue side by side with a JMP from the early 70s there's little to choose.

I didn't mention this in my original post but I'm very happy to consider a part exchange or a swap for a guitar/bass or even pickups. Particularly interested in tweed Fender amps.......

surfguy13

Reaction score
Right, I got a quote from Transglobal to ship the amp to the USA and I was amazed how cheap it is. A hell of a lot cheaper than the last head I sent to the US. Also, there is no VAT (value added tax) to pay either. So, the cost using UPS is £52.63 which is $85 and to insure it for £1000 it would be £20 or $32.65. So $117.65 in total. Now it's important to allow a few $ for exchange rates and things like that but I've just used a calculator online and these are figures based on today's exchange rates. So, the total cost in USD including shipping, insurance would be $1710.

Latest posts