5150 Iconic....Wow!

• Thread starter Bloodrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Got an iconic this week and all iconic say is wow! I've owned at least 15 Marshalls over thr years, as well as several of the EVH branded amps. The jubilee an 800 have always been my favorite marshall circuits. I found the other EVH amps over gained,fizzy, too squishy, or a combination of things I just didn't like being a long time marshall fan. The iconic comes with a stock speaker that appears to be based on the v-type but was obviously voiced for the old school VH tones. Using this speaker I got some pretty good VH tones from the amp. Then I popped in my favorite V30... Holy shart! I will say that WITHOUT A DOUBT this Amp is based on a Marshall circuit! Not a Soldano, old 5150, current EVH. Or any of those things Ed used. This is a tweaked Marshall circuit and is easily one of the best ones I've ever played. It comes across as a near perfect hot rodded JCM800 on channel one with the boost on. Channel 2 adds bass and gain while shifting the mid frequency to a more modern metal EQ. Both channels stay tight AF no matter how much gain and all the EQ controls are very interactive. I have to honestly say to me this amp sounds almost exactly like my dream modded Marshall would. The JVM I had was not even close in terms of tone. And that's the marshall flagship. Its even better than the Ceriatones I've owned. Kudos to EVH, they've finally built one of the Marshalls we've all been wanting for years...

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
It seems the 5150 amplifiers have always delivered for what they were meant to be.
Myself i use the effects loop like that of the Jubilee with a nice effects processor.
That provides 1000000 times more sound options.
A nice amplifer with a good effects processor in an effects loops supplies anything anyone may want.
Do the same with the 5150 type amplifier and all your tone dreams can come true.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Got an iconic this week and all iconic say is wow! I've owned at least 15 Marshalls over thr years, as well as several of the EVH branded amps. The jubilee an 800 have always been my favorite marshall circuits. I found the other EVH amps over gained,fizzy, too squishy, or a combination of things I just didn't like being a long time marshall fan. The iconic comes with a stock speaker that appears to be based on the v-type but was obviously voiced for the old school VH tones. Using this speaker I got some pretty good VH tones from the amp. Then I popped in my favorite V30... Holy shart! I will say that WITHOUT A DOUBT this Amp is based on a Marshall circuit! Not a Soldano, old 5150, current EVH. Or any of those things Ed used. This is a tweaked Marshall circuit and is easily one of the best ones I've ever played. It comes across as a near perfect hot rodded JCM800 on channel one with the boost on. Channel 2 adds bass and gain while shifting the mid frequency to a more modern metal EQ. Both channels stay tight AF no matter how much gain and all the EQ controls are very interactive. I have to honestly say to me this amp sounds almost exactly like my dream modded Marshall would. The JVM I had was not even close in terms of tone. And that's the marshall flagship. Its even better than the Ceriatones I've owned. Kudos to EVH, they've finally built one of the Marshalls we've all been wanting for years...
Congrats and gas is deeply noted!

Scottz

Reaction score
Being made in China isn't automatically a sign of bad quality. They build to the spec they are paid for. Remember, the build IPhones there . Sure, I wish it was all built in the US but we have to face reality.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Being made in China isn't automatically a sign of bad quality. They build to the spec they are paid for. Remember, the build IPhones there . Sure, I wish it was all built in the US but we have to face reality.
I agree , but the point where we could have resisted stuff made in China just to support are US economy was about the time we started throwing tube TV's in the dumpsters and the tubes went in there with with them.
Remember land lines and dial phones and wait , no internet ?

Attachments

• 47173quasar.JPG
    47173quasar.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts