5150 vs JCM2000

• Thread starter ESPVH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ESPVH

Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts, still not sure what to do, I like the 5150, I do, but I do not like the distortion, to fuzzy, the distortion in the clip was helped with a OD pedal...just wondering if a JCM2000 is the answer, btw I am a previous Marshall owner, a JCM 900, but it was to trebley for my taste, no offence......:)

Stymie13

Reaction score
Nice. Thanks a lot for posting that Psychodave!!! I am definitely going to try these mods. That clip posted with it was ok, but I'd really like to hear the amp without the echo, less preamp gain, and more output volume. Guess I'll just have to do it to mine!!

surface54

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZXaFVIiuI]YouTube - Marshall DSL100 - Heavily Refined Drums, Bass and Overall mix[/ame]

Reaction score
The 5150 is the holy grail of brutal amp... sooooo mean. A mesa sounds like a teddy bear beside it. If you want to do hardcore stuff you should definitely keep it. But as the sample you post was a rock tone, the DSL will be a better choice in that territory. I love mine.

93DMTX

Reaction score
FWIW, in the trade value department, this just popped up in the Shreveport, LA CL...

I have a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 head with brand new groove power and preamp tubes in it and a Marshall 1960a cab for trade. I also have a ESP Viper Deluxe 1000 with locking tuners and EMG 81 85 in it also for trade. I'm willing to trade both together for a high gain halfstack like a Peavey 5150 to a 6506, orange, or mesa.

diesel king

Reaction score
They're totally different amps. If your into modern metal and hardcore sounds then go with the 5150, I have experience with both, and personally I don't like the 5150

thrawn86

Reaction score
Diesel hits it on the head. I've never played a 5150 per se, but have played several other high gain-only heads, and they own at what they are designed to do. They won't do what the DSL will do, and the DSL can't necessarily do what the PV can do. But the Marshall is going to be warmer and more versatile, and a pedal will get you the rest of the way. Otherwise, if you're resigned to playing heavy stuff only, stay with the PV.

Ken

Reaction score
They're totally different amps. If your into modern metal and hardcore sounds then go with the 5150, I have experience with both, and personally I don't like the 5150

I played a 5150 once and it kicked ass. In fact that was the day I knew I needed an amp with more gain than my Music Man could provide. I don't know 5150 prices but the other posts suggest you need cash in the deal.

I can't compare the DSL to a 5150 at all on level ground...they are not interchangeable. I'd have both if I could. If I were in a metal band with a 5150 I might find the Marshall lacking in brute force, but if I was in a metal band with a Marshall I might find the 5150 lacking articulation and being way too one dimensional. Bottom line is what your ears like better.

Ken

mike mike

Reaction score
If you need to Play every genre, and have every sound from clean to high gain sound absolutely amazing, buy an ENGL invader or special edition. If you don't have the cash, and you need something to do metal, nothing will beat a 5150II or a 6505+ for the money. Marshalls arent quite guided for modern metal because of the excessive highs and upper mids, while sounding to compressed at higher volume and gain levels.

ESPVH

Reaction score
Well, the guy let me have it for a trial run for 48 hrs, he's real cool, I brought it home and it crackels, hisses & pops & seems the cooling grates on the left side, (looking at it), are much hotter than the 5150's.......tubes maybe? Other than that it sounds great.:)

ESPVH

Reaction score
Well, they are being REALLY good about it, back it went to the store and they will start off with a new preamp tube and if that doesn't stop it on to the rest of the tubes, then another 24 hr trial period, not bad I guess....

mike mike

Reaction score
Nope not too bad. Both amps are gonna kick some ass. A dsl is going to be hot. Four powertubes get cooking

diesel king

Reaction score
Just to further add more of my opinion... one of things I find so boring and generic about most modern metal (give me some old school metal anyday!!) is that same chainsaw chugga chugga tone, all created by the same amps.... boring! Just listen to El Jeffe's band Cursed, death metal with classic marshall roar. It sounds different and it sounds awesome. My band is in my sig, whilst we're not exatcly 'modern metal', we play heavy, my tracks were recorded using my DSL, and the other guitarists were with a 5150, our tone sounds good together in the mix, but in my opinion the DSL sounds much better. It sounds unique when used in high gain situations, classic marshall mids and real organic marshall tone. Our guitarists 5150 sounds great when playing on your own, shit tonnes of gain, very thick, however as soon as we play as a band he gets drowned out of the mix by my marshall. I would take a DSL over a 5150 every time.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
$650 is the average going rate for a 5150 head and $500 is for the combo. DSL's go from $500-650 right now being higher on ebay of course.

mike mike

Reaction score
but in my opinion the DSL sounds much better. It sounds unique when used in high gain situations, classic marshall mids and real organic marshall tone. Our guitarists 5150 sounds great when playing on your own, shit tonnes of gain, very thick, however as soon as we play as a band he gets drowned out of the mix by my marshall. I would take a DSL over a 5150 every time.

thats true because marshall has more mids, upper mids and highs. and unique is the perfect word because 5150's are the most common amp in death metal because they are cheap and they work. but the low end becomes pretty sludgy and washed out on the DSL

KH Guitar Freak

Reaction score
Just to further add more of my opinion... one of things I find so boring and generic about most modern metal (give me some old school metal anyday!!) is that same chainsaw chugga chugga tone, all created by the same amps.... boring! Just listen to El Jeffe's band Cursed, death metal with classic marshall roar. It sounds different and it sounds awesome. My band is in my sig, whilst we're not exatcly 'modern metal', we play heavy, my tracks were recorded using my DSL, and the other guitarists were with a 5150, our tone sounds good together in the mix, but in my opinion the DSL sounds much better. It sounds unique when used in high gain situations, classic marshall mids and real organic marshall tone. Our guitarists 5150 sounds great when playing on your own, shit tonnes of gain, very thick, however as soon as we play as a band he gets drowned out of the mix by my marshall. I would take a DSL over a 5150 every time.

Perhaps your friend might want to redial that 5150 of his???

ESPVH

Reaction score
Update:
I was told the 4 power tubes were changed and running all afternoon without a pop, hiss or crackel, it's ready to be picked up, and I have another 24 hour trail period.........then decision time!