6100 and effects.......

• Thread starter longfxukxnhair
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
I have a Marshall 6100LM and a blue 6100 as most of you may know. I am not a fan of pedals but I am considering getting a few. I am thinking of getting a chorus, a delay and a over drive/boost. As for a boost I am considering using the Blackstar HT Boost. I am seeking input from those of you who use the pedals I am considering. What do you use and why? In front of the amp or in the effects? Do you use these pedals or have you used them with a 6100? I am also considering Digitech GSP1101 and G Major. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys. You all rock on here and I respect your opinions.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
If you are going to get into any multi f/x unit to run with your 6100's , do youself a
favor and check out the TC . Nova System ! for the money its hard to beat !! , super
small foot print , above average quality F/X , tons of options , MIDI switching of your
amp channels on the 6100's !! , its my next purchase for sure , i was going to pick one up last month , but i bought another giutar instead that day !! oh well ...love the guitar though !!!!!
My last Multi f/x unit was a Boss GT8 , this is by far better in all area's !!

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
If you are going to get into any multi f/x unit to run with your 6100's , do youself a
favor and check out the TC . Nova System ! for the money its hard to beat !! , super
small foot print , above average quality F/X , tons of options , MIDI switching of your
amp channels on the 6100's !! , its my next purchase for sure , i was going to pick one up last month , but i bought another giutar instead that day !! oh well ...love the guitar though !!!!!
My last Multi f/x unit was a Boss GT8 , this is by far better in all area's !!

The Nova system is better than the GT8?

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
there is so much crap on the GT8 that is not even useable IMO , i rented a NOVA SYSTEM for a while to really check it out , and yes its really that good , blows away
the GT8 !! Its got some of the best time based F/X i have heard , and for 500$ !!!!
its a steal for that price !

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
there is so much crap on the GT8 that is not even useable IMO , i rented a NOVA SYSTEM for a while to really check it out , and yes its really that good , blows away
the GT8 !! Its got some of the best time based F/X i have heard , and for 500$ !!!!
its a steal for that price !

That was another consideration of mine. By the time I buy 3 pedals or so am I better off just getting a multi effect like the Nova. Which is on my wish list at a few of the music stores I deal with.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
G major would be good for you !

What I use:

Cry baby Hendrix wah pedal, Rotovibe, Boss BF2, Boss DD-7 delay

Why:

Cry baby Hendrix: Quality, nice sweep, good stuff !
Rotovibe: Not too expencive (for a univibe type effect) and just an amazing sound !
Boss BF-2 flanger: not realy expencive, one of the best flangers I've ever heared
Boss DD-7 delay: Just for when i need some delay, I have it ready, by far not the best effect ever made I think.
Tube screamer: In the cluset for the moment, maybe I'll use it again when I'll get my JTM 30

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
I am real hesitant to get any pedals. I bought the MXR 10 band eq for my DSL 100. It works great. Now that I have a 6100 I dont play my DSL. I dont use the MXR on the 6100 because I dont feel that I need it. I have tried it on the 6100. Thats $120 just sitting there. I have a Slash wah thats just sitting there. And I hate to sell anything. LOL So if I buy pedals/effects processor I want to make sure I get this right.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
What !!! How big is that place , and no TC Dealer !! really ??

We have 4 GC's here and a Sam Ash along with a few other little stores. None of the stores stock them. They can order them but that does me no good. I can do the same.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
For you i'd say get a nova system or a g major, if you think that's too expencive, get a rotovibe or univibe, use your current wah, get some chorus (MXR chorus), delay (MXR Carbon Copy), and a flanger (Boss BF-2) , and a booster (SD-1, OD-8/9 or TS-8/9), or go figure out how to let the MXR EQ sound good with the 6100.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
For you i'd say get a nova system or a g major, if you think that's too expencive, get a rotovibe or univibe, use your current wah, get some chorus (MXR chorus), delay (MXR Carbon Copy), and a flanger (Boss BF-2) , and a booster (SD-1, OD-8/9 or TS-8/9), or go figure out how to let the MXR EQ sound good with the 6100.

Thanks for your input. Its not that the MXR doesnt sound good with the 6100. I feel I dont need it on the 6100 for the amp to sound good.

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
You can use the MXR as a solo boost or a rhythm cut.

I feel that multi-fx pedals never sound as good as single pedals...kinda like how a 3 channel Marshall won't sound as good as each of those one-trick-ponies it's trying to combine into one chassis. IMO!!!

That being said, I use a chorus and delay and looper in my loop.

Volume pedal, fuzz, ODs, dist, phase shifter etc. are all on a shelf now.

The loop level adjustment options are amazing. I keep my loop parallel w/the effects mix just under half and my pedals really cranked. Also, I boost the signal from the looper and it gives a more power-tubey sound (makes the clean channel break up tho).

Yeah, pedals rock. I love Pink Floyd. Chorus and delay are really all you need. Everything else is a 'tone sucker'.

Finally, in terms of boosts, I just use my guitar controls. I have a good setting for crunch, then switch over to one pickup only for leads (w/Ch. 3 hotter than Ch. 2) and roll up for more volume. Works like a charm.

Anyone else notice that volume pedals out front have some latency w/the 6100? Almost like it kills the signal for a second? It's not smooth at all with my EB VP Jr. so I took it out.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I have a Marshall 6100LM and a blue 6100 as most of you may know. I am not a fan of pedals but I am considering getting a few. I am thinking of getting a chorus, a delay and a over drive/boost. As for a boost I am considering using the Blackstar HT Boost. I am seeking input from those of you who use the pedals I am considering. What do you use and why? In front of the amp or in the effects? Do you use these pedals or have you used them with a 6100? I am also considering Digitech GSP1101 and G Major. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys. You all rock on here and I respect your opinions.

Sup. I that the best way to use effects is to incorporate a good multi-effects unit. I don't like to use individual pedals unless they offer extensive eq controls to help offset any signal degradation. Most good multi-effects will have good eq controls that will help you fine tune your tone. I like effects that don't alter the tone much, but just add a little "color" to the tone.

I like tc electronics Nova System, G system, G major, and the G force. All of these units are great, but I have a slight preference for the G system because it offers a bit more control of the signal and you have loops that allow you to incorporate something that might not be in the G system, like Digitech's Whammy pedal, for example.

I also love the Boss GT10. It's a great system that also gives you enough control over the signal.

The Eventide processors are great, but ultra-expensive, so if you got the $$$, you might want to check those out too.

And I also recommend using MIDI between your effects and the amp. This will help you come up with complete patch that not only incorporates changes in your amp (i.e. channel switching, reverb on, etc.) but also changes your effects at the same time, if so desired. Just think, you can have Bank 1 set up for a song where patch A is your tone for a song's intro, patch B is your rhythm tone for that same song, patch C is your chorus tone, patch D could be your solo. You might even have more patches available within a bank that will allow you to do more. You can save yourself a lot of money if you can find a midi-capable multi-effects unit that features a footcontroller. good luck with your search.

The 6100LM (and if you got one, 6100LE) is a fantastic, sophisticated piece of equipment that deserves the best!

wiorys

Reaction score
I had KFK MXR. It makes your sound little more compressed. I've tried it in effects loop(line out,line in) and just after my guitar - I didn't liked it
I've got much better results with my Gmajor EQ(3 band parametric) - but I don't use it, 'stock' settings sound much more natural.

Gmajor isn't so transparent as people say. You really need to set it right(i/o levels etc), it makes a little noise, sound isn't warm anymore(it's slight difference but it's there). I'm not using it anymore. Still I think it's really good for its price.

I've compared Lexicon MPX G2 or something like that to Gmajor- Lexicon sounded more natural, it added some mids but in a good way.