'72 Super Lead

• Thread starter William Masterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, my buddy is selling his 100 watt '72 Plexi. He's giving me first dibs since I have a few Marshalls. I'm going to try it out (of course). It's supposedly in great shape other than a small cover tear. He's asking $4200.00, If it plays to my expectations, and I'm satisfied...Is this a reasonable price? We've been friends a long time so I don't want to haggle. If the consensus is that it's too much, I'll just walk away. So.....Opinions?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
For one, a '72 isn't a plexi. It may be a superlead, or 50 watt lead, but a true plexi was made no later than 1969.

For that price, you need to see at least a full set of photos in it, inside and out, with a condition and maintenance report on it.

I think that's on the high range of prices, particularly not knowing much about the amp.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
If it's this one I would take a hard pass..

Reaction score
For one, a '72 isn't a plexi. It may be a superlead, or 50 watt lead, but a true plexi was made no later than 1969.

For that price, you need to see at least a full set of photos in it, inside and out, with a condition and maintenance report on it.

I think that's on the high range of prices, particularly not knowing much about the amp.
Correction, It is a Super Lead, my bad. He's going to let me give it a go next weekend. Says it is original except tubes. From the pictures it only has a tear bottom front left corner. The price does concern me however.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So, my buddy is selling his 100 watt '72 Plexi. He's giving me first dibs since I have a few Marshalls. I'm going to try it out (of course). It's supposedly in great shape other than a small cover tear. He's asking $4200.00, If it plays to my expectations, and I'm satisfied...Is this a reasonable price? We've been friends a long time so I don't want to haggle. If the consensus is that it's too much, I'll just walk away. So.....Opinions?
He's trying to get COVID pricing when everything was inflated, if you really want it I'd tell him he's gotta do better on the price, unless you have that kind of spare cash and don't mind giving it away, I couldn't justify it. For reference, I paid a third of that price for a mint reissue 2 years ago.

Brewster

Reaction score
I wouldn't sell mine for that cheap period. Look at the prices of the later heads and how they continue to go up in value. If its clean and original I'd say its a great buy.

79 2203

Reaction score
That’s more in line with 70 Superlead prices, but if it is actually all original and only has a single tear in the tolex, it’s not unreasonable.

racerxrated

Reaction score
Lots of people here think a pre 73 Superlead is going backwards in pricing....think again. While there are some items that are coming back down, like G Rectifiers and such, a vintage pre PCB Marshall is going to cost you. Unless it's road worn, and unoriginal in the circuit like that Reverb item ^^^. That one isn't a lead amp, is not mint and LOTS of parts have been swapped out for newer crap.
If you see a mint, all original 1972 Superlead with all the good stuff still there it's a 5K amp. I know I wouldn't entertain a penny less than that for my 72 Supertremolo. And, comparing a reissue to a real vintage Marshall? Please. Not even in the same ballpark. Vintage iron, mustards/chicklets etc for the win.
Reissue 1959s, 2203Xs don't sound the same.

Nicolas S

Reaction score
I haven’t posted pictures. I’ll try to next weekend after I try it out.
It was not the one of Reverb
If it's this one I would take a hard pass..

?

Reaction score
It's not the one on reverb, I finally got the amp Friday. It is in very good shape. I'll finally get to try it out today. My buddy said the only mod is the disconnect of the polarity switch, and a three prong plug addition, minus the death cap. I will post pictures after I give it a workout over the next couple of weeks. I've already put in an order for NOS Seimen EL34's for my tech to put in after I try it out.

Ken Bob

Reaction score
You need a serious examination inside the chassis to determine what it's worth with any degree of accuracy. Otherwise you're just completely guessing what sort of state this amp is in.

Latest posts