A Touch of Class...Class5 Owners Welcome!

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maxime1122

Reaction score

Roadburn

Reaction score
Guitar that was made in Michigan at one time, motor city shirt! Detecting a pattern here, Watson! Bitchen' tone! Very groovie! Time to go grab a Tsingtao!

Cheers!

beerinabag.jpg

JimiRules

Reaction score
I have a WGS Green Beret and and a Scumback 10" M75 (GB clone) and personally I don't like either one with it. To me they add bass that the C5 already needs less of if you ask me, but they also lack something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I much prefer the Stock speaker to them. I want to try a WGS 10" Veteran bad, but just can't spend the cash on another speaker right now.

hmm... Maybe I should just get the WGS version of the 12t75's then since I know I already like those. Or instead of getting the Green Beret's to go along with them maybe I should just get 2 of the WGS versions of the V30's.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm... Maybe I should just get the WGS version of the 12t75's then since I know I already like those. Or instead of getting the Green Beret's to go along with them maybe I should just get 2 of the WGS versions of the V30's.

That's just my opinion man, you know how that goes. I'm sure some guys probably like them. I also only play HBs, with SCs I might think different. :)

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
See that's why I said what I did before. I had a Reaper and it has more bass than the Green Beret.

BTW I had a Veteran before too and I liked it best of all. I stupidly sold it to my friend because it sounded so good in his amp and I wasn't using it at the time. I WILL have another Veteran before it's over!

edit: just checked and the 10" Vet is only $41...I'm going to go ahead and order one...:naughty:

JimiRules

Reaction score
That's just my opinion man, you know how that goes. I'm sure some guys probably like them. I also only play HBs, with SCs I might think different. :)

Yeah, that's the trouble. I can't really go by youtube vids either because it's going to be different hearing them in person, which I don't have the option to do. I was originally going to just get 4 HM75's because I know I like the 75's in my buddy's 1960A cab. Then I started reading things about people mixing them with other speakers and I figured maybe that might be the way to go.

Right now I'd say about 85% of the songs I play right now require my SG, but that could change as we add songs to our set list.

fast98dodge

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of being able to run the C5 at full power this weekend... Oh My F'n God, what a monster!!! The C5 with the KTS-60 just sounded absolutely amazing!!! I was at a get together in Dallas with my vhlinks family and everyone was pretty blown away by the tone... Good thing I worked out a deal to sell my 5150 combo to one of my friends before he got to hear the Marshall... LOL...

jwebb1970

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does a choke do?

A choke acts as a sort of "filter" to smooth out the AC current in an amp. They are constructed similarly to output transformers, just smaller. Most modern tube amps use heavy resistors in the place of a choke.

As to the tonal, or "feel", differences - using a choke can result in less background hum and cleaner, better bass response. Using a resistor allows manufacturers save time and cost, hence most all modern tube amps using heavy resistors to smooth out AC ripple.

Lowlife

Reaction score
My experince is that RCA made excellent tubes. Would imagine their EL84 to be good as well. I have yet to try my Sovtek EL84M, wonder how it'll be compared to the telefunken im running.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Oops, Please disregard my last post. I went home at noon today, turned on my Class 5 and I just now looked up and it's almost 2 o'clock. I was drinking last night and had been rolling tubes and going back and forth between 3 different amps and I guess I didn't give it enough time. It's a big difference now that I've played it for a while...Wow! I don't even know how to describe it, but it's just better.

Latest posts