A Touch of Class...Class5 Owners Welcome!

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

80s dude

I finally tried one, and it sounded WAY better in person than the video demo on Marshall's site. Actually, I think the sound/tone quality on most of their demos could be a lot better, as other models also sounded way better in person to me. Anyway...

It was obvious that one needs to roll off the low end as you turn up the volume pot-as was mentioned by whoever did that video demo on this site. The only tone issue I had was wishing for a bit more treble. Could be an easy mod. The one I tried had the 1 piece back, but didn't rattle. I really liked the little bugger, but can't justify getting one at this time. Maybe if I can sell some crap...

colchar

Reaction score
I couldn't be more relaxed. And believe me, at least people in the 6100 thread know that there are people here who have recognized this subdivision/click and have brought it up elsewhere (I know Marty hinted as much on a different thread, and I agree with Marty).

Do you mean clique?

And believe this: there is not jealousy or envy on my part. I like those 6100s, Class 5, DSL, TSL, Plexis, Haze, JVMs, etc., but all these guys who want to huddle in their own little threads have a tendency to develop these hostile alliances and attack other members for stupid reasons. I'd like to think this time it will be different, but it's a tendency. That's all.

Or maybe people just figure this is the easiest way to share information about a specific amp with others who own it without having to comb through pages of threads on other amps? Seriously, it shouldn't be a big deal.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Hey fellas, how many colors have the Class 5 been made in so far?

I know of red and green as well as black of course but I thought someone on this forum had a picture of the ones they owned and I was thinking white maybe?

benjammin420

Reaction score
I've seen pictures of red and white; I've only seen black and green in person (I own a green)

1057.jpg

MARSHALL+CLASS+5+ROUGE+RED+LIMITED.JPG

large__CLASS5.jpg

Marshall_Front-300x200.jpg

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, new here, but I’ve been looking around some and first I just want to say that I’m glad I’m not looking for Slash tone... :eek:

I was going to start a thread on this subject for my first post, but since it’s already started I’ll post here.
I’ve had my Class 5 for a few months now and I really love it. I play an LP style guitar with a fuzz and an OD and I don't think I've ever really had more fun playing guitar! It's causing me to learn to play better and I'm learning new things too.

Now, I’m the type that has a hard time leaving things alone so I’ve already done quite a few tube swaps. Mine came stock with a Sovtek el84, and a White and a Red label Marshall preamp tubes. (I read somewhere that the White label is a sovtek and the red label is a JJ and they looked the same when I compared them) Tubes I’ve tried in various combinations are the Marshall labels, Sovtek 12ax7 WA, WC, and LPS, Tungsol ri, ns mullard ri, EH, JJ and Penta 12ax7B preamp tubes. And Sovtek, JJ, Tad and RI Mullard EL84s.

I finally settled on a JJ el84, Tungsol ri 12ax7 in V1 and a Mullard ri 12ax7 in V2. Out of all the tubes I tried, I found this combination to be the most responsive and dynamic without getting muddy or brittle or honky or thin or,.. in other words, this combination has less things going on that I don‘t like than any of the other combinations I tried. But I don’t think it’s perfect and I may try some NOS tubes later on down the road. (when I can afford some and know more what to look for)

Ok, I'm using a JJ el84 right now, but I liked the Sovtek, too. (I’d like to try a Sovtek el84 M) I find the JJ to be darker/warmer and smoother than the sovtek, but I like them both and wish I could find a cross between the 2. To me the TAD was even darker than the JJ and I didn‘t like that. The ri Mullard seemed to be the smoothest of them all but I thought it was too bright and thin sounding, although to be fair, it was the first one I swapped and it’s been a while, so I may try it again.

Anyway, I absolutely love this amp and I'm greatful to Marshall for getting in the low watt game with a fantastic sounding and affordable amp! Now I'm going to go and play it for a while...

Steve

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Thanks Ben! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

I have my black one that I bought on impulse when I found out they were in stock and I have my red one on order that I have been waiting on.

What the heck, I may have to go with all four colors!:naughty:

Hey Steve! Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have been working your C5 big time. Thank you for that great info. I too am wanting to get in there and start playing with the tubes to see where this thing can go.
For NOS we have an amazing source right here on the forum. Marty has a ton of knowledge and some sweet stock. Check him out on the tube topics.

benjammin420

Reaction score
Thanks Ben! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

I have my black one that I bought on impulse when I found out they were in stock and I have my red one on order that I have been waiting on.

What the heck, I may have to go with all four colors!:naughty:

I heard the white ones are only available in the UK, if not, I would buy one of those in a heartbeat. I havent seen red in person but they are sharp, I could see myself with at least 3 :hmm:

benjammin420

Reaction score
Where can I pick up a red one?

Your best bet would probably be to ask your local Marshall dealer. Then again I was told that the white ones are only available in the UK, and Ive heard from some Americans who own green ones that they had to order them from Canadian stores. It'd be nice though if there were regional restrictions

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks DSL100Dude. Sometimes I think I just have too much time on my hands, but I enjoy it, I've learned alot and most of the tubes I already had on hand.

Have you guys seen this tube upgrade Class 5 from The Tube Store? There's 3 packages to choose from. I'm thinking either the Premium or the Vintage package. I'm basically already using their Value package on my own but I prefer a Mullard ri in V2. The other 2 packages come with a Preferred Series power tube, and the Vintage package comes with Jan Phillips 12ax7WA preamp tubes. Anybody have experience with either of those? and what did you think? I like these prices alot better than the prices I've seen for NOS tubes.

I also love the looks of the white one, and wish I could buy one. I'd love to sit it next to my black one and run them both at the same time. :dude:

esquire

Reaction score
Thanks DSL100Dude. Sometimes I think I just have too much time on my hands, but I enjoy it, I've learned alot and most of the tubes I already had on hand.

Have you guys seen this tube upgrade Class 5 from The Tube Store? There's 3 packages to choose from. I'm thinking either the Premium or the Vintage package. I'm basically already using their Value package on my own but I prefer a Mullard ri in V2. The other 2 packages come with a Preferred Series power tube, and the Vintage package comes with Jan Phillips 12ax7WA preamp tubes. Anybody have experience with either of those? and what did you think? I like these prices alot better than the prices I've seen for NOS tubes.

I also love the looks of the white one, and wish I could buy one. I'd love to sit it next to my black one and run them both at the same time. :dude:
The vintage series single 7189 tube cost's 21 bucks and 2 12x7wa are 49.90 bucks.So why is the package deal for all 3 tubes 120.90 dollars?:wtf:Someone's using that new type of math .

13eastie

Reaction score
I just picked one of these up today and have to say I'm really disappointed. It was really quite upsetting to learn that the union jack on the front was only a sticker...

But seriously, this little thing was a big surprise - the tone is way better than anything on youtube would have you believe. Anyone who has strayed from the the path and allowed master volumes to hasten their journey to saturation should let this amp guide them back to the light - the sound you are really after comes from overdriving the EL34's and there is no other way to do it with this amp than cranking up the volume.

The C5 is also way smaller than you would expect and weighs next to nothing.

To boot, it costs only the same as a couple of FX pedals (although most folk will need an overdrive pedal with this fella).

A lot of bigger amps like my TSL 122 (which itself displaced a JCM 900 half-stack pretty quickly) will become redundant due to the Class 5.

The challenge now is to get the versatility of my TSL from the C5.

I tried the headphone output - my HP's are way too sensitive. Could anyone recommend a pair of suitable cans?

I'm no expert when it comes to electronic tomfoolery so I'd be really grateful for any advice on how to situate this in a home environment:

I saw Ben's positive comments about the Reyes Audio Output Tamer - has anyone else tried this?

I was thinking of getting the Haze 1x12"cab and fitting a 16 ohm Vintage 30 to it, which would also be compatible with the "headphone output trick" as far as I understand. Good idea?

benjammin420

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting the Haze 1x12"cab and fitting a 16 ohm Vintage 30 to it, which would also be compatible with the "headphone output trick" as far as I understand. Good idea?

I didnt get decent results with the headphone trick, very low volume (but its great for DI recording-especially bass) but I would recommend an ext cab if you're thinking about it. More tones out of this beautiful little amp, why not :lol: I most play at home and make hobby recordings, I think I'm going to start collecting difference speakers and cabs now just for fun

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I just picked one of these up today and have to say I'm really disappointed. It was really quite upsetting to learn that the union jack on the front was only a sticker...

laugher.gif

But seriously, this little thing was a big surprise - the tone is way better than anything on youtube would have you believe. Anyone who has strayed from the the path and allowed master volumes to hasten their journey to saturation should let this amp guide them back to the light - the sound you are really after comes from overdriving the EL34's and there is no other way to do it with this amp than cranking up the volume.

The C5 is also way smaller than you would expect and weighs next to nothing.

To boot, it costs only the same as a couple of FX pedals (although most folk will need an overdrive pedal with this fella).

A lot of bigger amps like my TSL 122 (which itself displaced a JCM 900 half-stack pretty quickly) will become redundant due to the Class 5.

The challenge now is to get the versatility of my TSL from the C5.

I tried the headphone output - my HP's are way too sensitive. Could anyone recommend a pair of suitable cans?

I'm no expert when it comes to electronic tomfoolery so I'd be really grateful for any advice on how to situate this in a home environment:

I saw Ben's positive comments about the Reyes Audio Output Tamer - has anyone else tried this?

Welcome to the forum!:wave:

I agree all around. I really can see this thing taking over duties for all but one of my gigs. There is no better value out there right now. Pure Marshall awesomeness. I will admit I am not sure about the same versitility as a JVM. They do have a lot of nice features. The Class5 suits me fine as a crank it and use the guitar to get what I need deal.
I am sure that you could set something up with that V30. Let us know how it goes.