ABB Southern Rock Sound Project

• Thread starter Plein Campagne
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw an ABB tribute band that sounded really good and both guitarist were using Marshall Origin 50 watt heads through 2x12s. Their guitar tones were spot on, or at least I thought they were. Because of that, I now want to get an Origin 50 watt head as well.
I've heard others say the Origin 50 is a really good choice for copping Dicky Betts tone, mostly because of the headroom, he had a slightly cleaner tone than Duane Allman.
:welcome:
I would go with the 50W since that is kind of what they were using and it is plenty loud.
The best thing about the 1987X is the effects loop. That gives many more ways to customize your sound since effects can be added not just before the preamp but after as well. :yesway::)

If I'm not mistaken, when Betts played thru a Marshall, he used a 100 watt SL, and Duane Allman used a 50 watt SL.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I got to say, I almost suggested an Origin. I had the 20H but sold it when i got the SV20H. For no other reason than to keep my gear minimal though. I liked the Origin and sometimes wished I'd just tucked it away somewhere. A lot of owners push it with pedals and it does that well but i mostly just cranked mine straight in. I thought it did the Southern Rock vibe well like that. I'm from the South so i grew up on all that. The 20H did have me hitting some Allman licks and that Betts' major scale type noodling around came natural on my R7. I haven't played the 50H but i can see that one being a viable alternative. It can go down to 1 watt for home use yet you have plenty in reserve for a jam.

I just didn't want to muddy the waters. If i could only have one it would be the SV but i thought the Origin made a very reasonably priced blues amp for that type of music. A pair of guitarists with them? I could see that.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Bonjour from the land of brexit stupidity. I have an SV20 and I love it. I think it could get you there but be aware that even in 5 watts it's seriously loud and as a non master amp the volumes have be pretty high to get 'the' sound. You'll need something to tame it to do that at home. Unless you live in a gigantic chateau. Which I know everyone in France does. I use the JHS little black box. I think it's great - not the same as cranking it right up but pretty close.
I may well at some point try an alnico gold speaker. I have an alnico in my DSL40CR and it definitely takes it closer to an ABB type sound. Which I love BTW. Been listening to Fillmore since it came out and still loving those tones.

Buzzard

Reaction score
I've recently gotten the fillmore 50 h. Through a v30 loaded silver jub cab I did'nt care for it. Through marshall 4-12 ax greenback cab it's like night and day. More vintage warmth to it. Keep in mind the amp is based off of fender tweeds with very responsive eq controls. I'd watch you tube videos on tweed amps so you know what to expect first.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Looking up the PRS amps played by Trucks and Warren near the end, it appears they are based on the original Marshalls. The "Dallas" amp has an EL34 power amp reverse engineered from Eric Johnson's Plexi. The HXDA amp is a clone of one of Duane's Plexis according to what I read in a few places. And there's this:

"The Trucks’ rig is a model of simplicity. Like Haynes, he runs through two amp heads: a PRS model HXDA, which Tis describes as a combination of a Marshall Super Lead and Super Bass; and an Alessandro, which Tis says is similar to a beefed-up 1959 Fender Twin. “It has a really clean and clear David Gilmour-type sound,” Tis says..."

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/gear-rundown-warren-haynes-and-derek-trucks-allman

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I've heard others say the Origin 50 is a really good choice for copping Dicky Betts tone, mostly because of the headroom, he had a slightly cleaner tone than Duane Allman.

If I'm not mistaken, when Betts played thru a Marshall, he used a 100 watt SL, and Duane Allman used a 50 watt SL.
Right, Betts did switch over to some 1959 but 1987 can be pretty damn loud with headroom too. :)

colchar

Reaction score
Hello All
Newbie on the forum and to the world of Marshall.
I live in France so my components choice is limited to what you would have in the States or the UK. I'm thinking of getting either a Marshall 1987x or 1959HW to get me in the ABB ballpark (or maybe even the SV20). Are there any others I should take into consideration?
I have the PAFs in a Dickey Betts signature and a TS and just want to build pretty simple rig.
Will need an attenuator for indoors.
What is the speaker on the market that will get close to the JBL D120F. Some folk say the Eminence Swamp Thang gets fairly close to that Southern tone. Anybody have experience of these or any other suggestions please?

I wasn't sure whether to put this on the amp forum or speaker forum so here it is!

Cheers

Duane used 50 watt Marshalls and Dickey used 100 watters so that he could stay cleaner at the same volume as Duane. Neither used a Tube Screamer, although Duane did use a Fuzz Face (during his earlier days). In more recent times, Dickey would use Fender Pro Jr. amps when he didn't want to haul out his Marshalls.

colchar

Reaction score
Bonjour from the land of brexit stupidity.

36505343630_af41df2237_z.jpg

Reaction score
I'm probably more confused now for choice than when I started but thanks for all your input.....Origin, Sv20, 1987x, 100wSL. Any love for the Jubilee? I was hot on the SV20 yesterday but now I'm heading towards 50 or 100w with an attenuator. I've heard some demos at low volume and the big watts sound more wholesome that the 20w or lower. I'm still very interested in the Celestion Alnico Gold too. Probably needs a few hours at a reasonable volume to break in but listening to the demos I like what I hear. It's getting to decision time and as Keef said "I never kept a dollar past sunset, It always burned a hole in my pants." I'm must jump very soon.

Last edited:

JaxLPGuy

Reaction score
I just saw an ABB tribute band that sounded really good and both guitarist were using Marshall Origin 50 watt heads through 2x12s. Their guitar tones were spot on, or at least I thought they were. Because of that, I now want to get an Origin 50 watt head as well.
Any chance it was Tribute ABB? If so, those boys put on a great show. Three hour-long sets.

I really like my Origin 20C but I have an itch for either the SV20 or SC20. I was dead set on the SV but now I've waffled back to the SC. Knowing me I'll end up with both. :D

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I'm probably more confused now for choice than when I started but thanks for all your input.....Origin, Sv20, 1987x, 100wSL. Any love for the Jubilee? I was hot on the SV20 yesterday but now I'm heading towards 50 or 100w with an attenuator. I've heard some demos at low volume and the big watts sound more wholesome that the 20w or lower. I'm still very interested in the Celestion Alnico Gold too. Probably needs a few hours at a reasonable volume to break in but listening to the demos I like what I hear. It's getting to decision time and as Keef said "I never kept a dollar past sunset, It always burned a hole in my pants." I'm must jump very soon.
Dude, get the Jubilee.
That is the best basic platform design Marshall ever came up with. It can do all that. :thumbs:

Last edited: