ABB Southern Rock Sound Project

• Thread starter Plein Campagne
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duane in his early years, used a Fender Showman head, he later switched to a Fender Champ head particularly during the Layla Sessions, it wasn't until towards the end, he went to the JMP 1987 and a Bass head. but the amps you mention will absolutely get you there, of the two my preference would be the 1959.

Reaction score
Duane in his early years, used a Fender Showman head, he later switched to a Fender Champ head particularly during the Layla Sessions, it wasn't until towards the end, he went to the JMP 1987 and a Bass head. but the amps you mention will absolutely get you there, of the two my preference would be the 1959.
Thanks! Yep.....I think I have most of the tones covered with those plus a LP Dickey Goldtop and a strat. Definitely a good palate of tones to be had there.

jbow

Reaction score
ABBs.. both Duane and Dickey used the D120f speakers. The Eminence Texas Heat is close enough I think. Duane used a 100w SLP, Dicky a 50w not sure if it was a 1987x but probably. Many of the leads people think are Duane are Dickey. If you like the tones on Eat a Peach, it’s almost all Dickey. Dickey wrote both Dreams and Elizabeth Reed, I’m sure his tones are prominent on both.
Since you have the Dickey LP maybe you’d like the 1987x better but IDK.
On a side. I was privileged to see them in the spring of 1970 in a basketball gym. No seating, just them, us, and the acid… their music looked awesome! So smooth. They were a great band.

jbow

Reaction score
Duane in his early years, used a Fender Showman head, he later switched to a Fender Champ head particularly during the Layla Sessions, it wasn't until towards the end, he went to the JMP 1987 and a Bass head. but the amps you mention will absolutely get you there, of the two my preference would be the
You’re right. Both Clapton and Allman played small single ended amps. Tweed Champs, I’ve also heard a Tweed Deluxe, and a small Gibson amp. Duane still had his ‘57 goldtop. B he soon traded it, $200, and a 50w Marshall for a ‘59 LP.

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
ABBs.. both Duane and Dickey used the D120f speakers. The Eminence Texas Heat is close enough I think. Duane used a 100w SLP, Dicky a 50w not sure if it was a 1987x but probably. Many of the leads people think are Duane are Dickey. If you like the tones on Eat a Peach, it’s almost all Dickey. Dickey wrote both Dreams and Elizabeth Reed, I’m sure his tones are prominent on both.
On a side. I was privileged to see them in the spring of 1970 in a basketball gym. No seating, just them, us, and the acid… their music looked awesome! So smooth. They were a great band.
Tradition has it that Duane used two 1986s. The 1986 was the 50 watt version of the Superbass 1992. Another way to look at it, it was close to a JTM45 with EL34s and a SS rectifier.

jbow

Reaction score
Tradition has it that Duane used two 1986s. The 1986 was the 50 watt version of the Superbass 1992. Another way to look at it, it was close to a JTM45 with EL34s and a SS rectifier.
Thanks. I’m going on what I’ve read. I’m always happy to be told when I’m wrong. 👍🏻

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Thanks. I’m going on what I’ve read. I’m always happy to be told when I’m wrong. 👍🏻
You might be right and tradition wrong. Tradition has been known to be wrong before. So who knows for sure?

Reaction score
I live in France and I did go on a search for those JBL's but they were of course either a crazy price or they needed renovation. I hadn't heard about the Texas Heat before but it certainly has some good reviews. Thanks for the info jbow. I will bear that those mind a future cabinet build.

Ps. 37

Reaction score
You might be right and tradition wrong. Tradition has been known to be wrong before. So who knows for sure?
I had also always read and heard the traditional view that Duane used 50-watt heads and Dickey 100.

I tend to still believe that's correct, especially considering the differences in Duane's and Dickey's tone.

1647859558958.png

The Big House in Macon had (maybe still does) one of Duane's 1987T heads, pictured above.

I've also read that Derek Trucks now owns Duane's 1986.

In any event, they could have played through tin cans and string and still been two of my all-time favorite guitarists.🙂