AC/DC rhythm tone help needed

• Thread starter PaulHikeS2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Looking to get in the neighborhood for Malcom's tone with the equipment I already have. I'm using an Origin 5 head with a 1x12 G12H-75 Creamback cab. I have a few dirt pedals - OCD, Super OD, Rat, tube screamer, Tumnus. Guitar wise, I'm thinking of using my GLP Tribute or a 2019 Epi Iommi SG.

Figured someone here could point me in the right direction - just started playing some Back in Black era stuff.
Nobody can help you, you gotta just use your ears.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Unplug the guitar. Try to make the guitar sound distorted. You'll find that when you wack the strings a certian way, the sound becomes grittier. Practice that.
When you plug it back in, the amp fine tuning will be much easier.

This may seem too elemental, but the most common mistake I see with a lot of people trying to emulate Malcom is too much distortion. I think part of the reason is because of a softer strumming hand. Since that string wack grit isn't there, it's compensated by adding more distortion.

Mark_G

Reaction score
ZVEX Box of Rock can get some of that vibe. It's more of a JTM-45 style overdrive with a darker tone than a plexi. I've used it and have gotten a similar sound to Malcolm.

javier pintos

Reaction score
Unplug the guitar. Try to make the guitar sound distorted. You'll find that when you wack the strings a certian way, the sound becomes grittier. Practice that.
When you plug it back in, the amp fine tuning will be much easier.

This may seem too elemental, but the most common mistake I see with a lot of people trying to emulate Malcom is too much distortion. I think part of the reason is because of a softer strumming hand. Since that string wack grit isn't there, it's compensated by adding more distortion.
This was kindda my first lesson from a couple of bandmates when i started playing with a other guys, don´t compensate with OD/Dist "you gotta hit the strings", i have found that is true with a lot of other players i like, you need to dig into the strings, i did not find it myself listening to recordings, i found ith tru watching interviews on rig rundowns where the guitar techs talk about how often they change strings based on how the artist plays and more often than not i hear the payer have a heavy hand

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice - turn it up and hit the strings hard. I'll have the OCD on standby in case I need just a touch of gain. I can do that with the gear I've got!

dslman

Reaction score
He didn’t have the nickname
“Jackhammer “ for nothing. It wasn’t just his strumming style, but also how he moved on stage. Like a construction worker fighting a jackhammer.

Latest posts