Acoustic soloist as80r

• Thread starter dpm309
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm309

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and have recently retired so that I can devote more time to playing music and building/repairing amps. I am working on an AS80R that has an intermittent cut out problem. This amp is used for a Martin acoustic plugged into a Electro-Harmonics POG that is plugged directly into the input on the transducer channel. I found a post on another website where 2 different people had the same problem and traced it down to dirty contacts on the loop jacks. I cleaned all of the jacks with contact cleaner, including the POG, and have had the amp on for hours at a time while playing the guitar and have not been able to re-create the problem. Could there be something else I should look at such as some kind of thermal cut-out? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

JohnH

Reaction score
Hi Dan - just wanted to welcome you here. There's not a lot of people who use the acoustic Marshalls on this forum, but there are some knowledgeable technical folk. Maybe you have now fixed it by doing that contact cleaning?

dpm309

Reaction score
I have been running the amp for several hours with both an acoustic and electric guitar pugged in and so far, so good. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Thanks,

Dan

Gibson knight

Reaction score
I have the same AS amp and just experienced the fade out back in using it tonight. The last time I used it several years ago, it did the same thing. I thought it was the battery in my guitar. New battery and same issue. Where are the loop contacts and how are they cleaned?

Also, main volume let out a big static noise when turning up. Sounds like dirty contacts too. What is the best way to clean these?

Thanks,

Gibson Knight

Gator

Reaction score
bi-located: Nacogdoches county Texas deep in the p
I also have a swell AS80R which I purchased about 2 years ago from Fullers in Houston. Total newbie to electronic amps. I had purchased a SJ200 custom elite, a childhood dream realized 45 years later, and as it came equipped with a Baggs under-bridge pick-up I decided to get an amp, and the AS80R seemed to fit the bill, but like everyone else mine would fade and cut-out. So I left it in the corner and just played the guitar. I just purchased a Doyle Dykes Guild so I thought I had better either fix the amp or get something else. Hit the internet, bought can of DEOXIT D5 and sprayed every hole, every pot and every switch. Then I plugged and re-plugged every hole, twirled every pot and wiggled every switch. Hey amazing can't get it to puke... but I am keeping the can of contact cleaner handy.:shred:

RDM57

Reaction score
I have the AS80R, but I have issues with the back panel insert jacks. I do not get any signal at all from the back send, and no apparent input from the stereo returns. Could this be a cleaning issue, or something deeper? Anyone seen this before?