Advice on 2 guitars in band

• Thread starter Richardjordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phuzaxeman

Reaction score
btw, i use an overdrive pedal (rhythm), distortion pedal (lead), od1 (amp rhythm) od2 (rhythm amp), with my tsl. depending on the song, i use the settings accordingly. that's the glory of the tsl that most other marhsall amps don't have.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
4x12 vs 2x12 he has 2 less speakers to move air and create sound. you'll always be buried with a 2x12 vs a 4x12.

I have to disagree with this. It's all about speaker efficiency. If a 412 cab is loaded with less efficient speakers it may not be as loud as a 212 cab loaded with more efficient rated speakers.

I have a TSL122 with two Eminence Man O' Wars. These speakers are rated at 101.5dB. I never had a problem keeping up with most half stacks.

Also, the guy using the 212 setup can turn his volume up to match the volume level of the 412.

Richardjordan

Reaction score
btw, i use an overdrive pedal (rhythm), distortion pedal (lead), od1 (amp rhythm) od2 (rhythm amp), with my tsl. depending on the song, i use the settings accordingly. that's the glory of the tsl that most other marhsall amps don't have.

yes im the main rhythm sound mate, i preferred the tsl tones but it got complicated when adding fx to the amp etc so opted for my boss gt8 to keep things simple.

delstele

Reaction score
depending on what type of band you are, when i consult other bands i let them know that vocals are the most important aspect of the overall sound (unless you are that scream band that doesn't care about vocals).

a drummer and his playing is also important on the mix because the drummers cymbals/snare, guitars, and vocals will overlap on the frequency spectrum so you have to be careful not to drown the vocals.

i've set the drums and vocal levels first and then add the guitars and bass and keys next making sure you don't get in a volume match. sometimes when you have the guitars crank with the drums and add vocals last, you have a singer trying to sing too loud losing quality of their timbre and competing with guitars.

if you are having a problem with guitar volume i'd suggest try using a volume pedal. good musicians are aware of their volume and know how to apply dynamics to the overall sound without stepping over anyone.

just like good singers practicing backing away from the mic when hitting a high loud note, guitarists need to be aware of their volume. getting sound to sit in a mix (not just tearing through the mix) in way that's balance is important.

when you have 2 guitarists, it's important to know each others sound and work together rather than compete. roles play an important key to good sound. are you the main rhythm guy? the other guitarist more texture? or do you play the same thing? set your levels accordingly.

-ken

^^^This^^^:applause::applause::applause::applause:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
to be honest you guys have a great start you just (my opinion) have the set up backwards. you have all the mids which is where the lead lies. he has an alder or ash guitar with presumably single coils and an american voiced amp. all have scooped mids.

for soloing you need a mid boost.

but the two setups should yield really positive results once you re eq together (also may need to adjust eq and fx based on venue mind you).

a boost pedal and/or eq with a mid hump for soloing would be a quick solution though it won't solve ALL of the issues it will address the primary point of inquiry :)

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
How much gain are you using? Sometimes too much distortion makes the guitar get lost, and affects the other guitarist. If you use a lot of gain or OD, try backing it down a bit, and turning up the master volume. Let your power tubes work for you. I use a cheap lp1 boost pedal when I need a lift in volume, also you can try a compressor for when you need to bring up mids, but control volume. The MXR custom comp works wonders. I hope this helps.

Landshark

Reaction score
Yea man use those gain and mid dials on that amp. His mids may be set at 10 and yours at 6 or any other combination. Same with the gain, if your mids, gain, and volume are all set similarly, then you should blend together well.

I was in a band a while back, we got our sound so tight we didn't need boosts or eqs. Our leads stuck out like sore thumbs and either of us could switch back to playing rhythm and settle right back into the mix. It takes time but its worthwhile.

Edit: If the lead players amp has a "tone cut" control, as many Vox amps do, mess with that and your mids. He'll dedinitely need an eq pedal or a dist/overdrive with some mid control for his leads, or at the very least a volume boost.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
How much gain are you using? Sometimes too much distortion makes the guitar get lost, and affects the other guitarist. If you use a lot of gain or OD, try backing it down a bit, and turning up the master volume. Let your power tubes work for you. I use a cheap lp1 boost pedal when I need a lift in volume, also you can try a compressor for when you need to bring up mids, but control volume. The MXR custom comp works wonders. I hope this helps.
this is a GREAT point as well. i'm most often a metal player so i know ALL about dealing with 2nd fiddles with WAY too much gain....

to give an example of how LITTLE you need (a touch of compression doesn't hurt for this though) check this out. it's a 36w PLEXI 59slp/tmb (GR Amplification) style in BOTH clips i did. same amount of "gain" for that matter

Poptard by diesect20022000 on SoundCloud - Hear the world

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8tiUC-GpoU]plexi GR amp by Terry aka "Guitar Rocker" TMB side low volume - YouTube[/ame]

don't mind the sloppy recording. i was writing that song (first clip poptard) as i recorded it lol.

SwampThing

Reaction score
4x12 vs 2x12 he has 2 less speakers to move air and create sound. you'll always be buried with a 2x12 vs a 4x12.

This. Think about the dynamics onstage. You should both rocking the same AMOUNT of firepower. The TYPE is upto you. Check out alot of famous guitar duos. Keef/ Ron wood, Angus/ Malcolm, Glen Frey/ Joe Walsh....

Richardjordan

Reaction score
Hi again, just to add some closure here :)

We just gigged this evening, sound checked with the guitars after we did the drums,bass,vox. The lead used an eq pedal with the hi mids boosted and i set the low mids higher on my od's, BOY OH BOY DID WE SOUND GOOD TONIGHT!

Thanks for all the advice, a combination of everything helped. The solos cut through like a knife through butter and the rhythm was cranked perfectly in the right places.

One happy customer-tonight was one of the reasons i love to gig :)

SwampThing

Reaction score
Hi again, just to add some closure here :)

We just gigged this evening, sound checked with the guitars after we did the drums,bass,vox. The lead used an eq pedal with the hi mids boosted and i set the low mids higher on my od's, BOY OH BOY DID WE SOUND GOOD TONIGHT!

Thanks for all the advice, a combination of everything helped. The solos cut through like a knife through butter and the rhythm was cranked perfectly in the right places.

One happy customer-tonight was one of the reasons i love to gig :)

You got blown didnt you? Yeeeeeah buddy:dude: