• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Advice on buying 1st vintage Marshall...specifically pre-73 50 watter

• Thread starter Tweed Dluxe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tweed Dluxe

Reaction score
New member here. Just looking for some resources or general advice on buying? I’ve had a few early 80’s 2204’s. But I was thinking of getting into a pre-73 50 watter.

Quarantine prices on everything seem kind of high right now. There’s a 1970 50 watter the seller is asking $3800 for on Reverb...the only one up for sale. I’d share a link but it looks like I’m prohibited until I get enough posts in.

Marshall JMP 50 Watt Small Box Amp Head

Trouble Free

Reaction score
The price of those amps was kind of high before Quarantine, and not getting cheaper. There's nothing like an original but for that money you could have one custom made. I'll post the link for you

https://Reverb(dot)com/item/37207952-marshall-jmp-50-watt-small-box-amp-head

ag9qm91qkgjnucgscxcr.jpg

FutureProf88

Reaction score
If you just want the vintage ownership experience, then go for it. I'll admit that it is pretty cool to have an old piece of gear. That being said... I've owned a 1967 Bassman, a '71 Superlead, and a '77 Superbass. I don't own any of those amps anymore. They were cool to have, but that was about it. The Bassman sounded fantastic but had a habit of eating board caps, and it was full of ground issues from previous work. I sold it to a guy who ended up simply rebuilding it. The '71 SL was neat and was in good condition but it was also full of odd hums and other weird noises, and I was so paranoid about damaging it that I never played it out the entire time I had it. I sold it too. The '77 SB was the exact same... I gigged it a couple of times but every single time it made an odd ghost note or pop I was paranoid that I was going to be the one to cook an original OT or something. I now have three clones as my "big" amps - a Germino SB, a Rockitt Retro 1987, and a Granger JTM45/100. I got the Germino second hand as a lead spec amp and sent it back to Greg for tuning up and conversion to a bass circuit. Each of those amps is less expensive than the original pieces that they are copying, they are better built, and having AB'd the Granger against an original 1966 single OT JTM 100, I'm satisfied that each of them sounds as good as an original. The Rockitt frankly sounds BETTER than the '71 lead spec amp that I had. If you want them as collectors pieces, I'd say buy the very best example that you can get. If you want one to play, seriously consider going the clone route because you'll get a better piece of equipment for less money - and often one that carries a fantastic warranty. I've also spoken to all three of the guys that built my amps, and I've met Kevin of Rockitt Retro and Curt of Granger amplification in person and they really care about doing right by their customers.

Just my .02...

trax1139

Reaction score
I agree with Future...100%! I own an original Bassman. Pop bought it in Sept. of 1959. It sounds fantastic and is worth a bunch of bucks. Gigged it a few times recently. The harp player used it in our blues band. But like Future, I was paranoid the whole time. I had Greg from Germino amps build me a JTM45 and it is just perfect in every way. $2500.00 That Bassman would cost every bit of around 8-9,000 and you’d be afraid to load it in the truck!

Tweed Dluxe

Reaction score
I probably should have clarified. I’m just looking for something to enjoy at home. Zero plans to drag this out. I’m not going to play anywhere I could use something this loud.

But yeah, smoking an original transformer messing around at home sounds pretty awful!

Old Punker

Reaction score
If you just want the vintage ownership experience, then go for it. I'll admit that it is pretty cool to have an old piece of gear. That being said... I've owned a 1967 Bassman, a '71 Superlead, and a '77 Superbass. I don't own any of those amps anymore. They were cool to have, but that was about it. The Bassman sounded fantastic but had a habit of eating board caps, and it was full of ground issues from previous work. I sold it to a guy who ended up simply rebuilding it. The '71 SL was neat and was in good condition but it was also full of odd hums and other weird noises, and I was so paranoid about damaging it that I never played it out the entire time I had it. I sold it too. The '77 SB was the exact same... I gigged it a couple of times but every single time it made an odd ghost note or pop I was paranoid that I was going to be the one to cook an original OT or something. I now have three clones as my "big" amps - a Germino SB, a Rockitt Retro 1987, and a Granger JTM45/100. I got the Germino second hand as a lead spec amp and sent it back to Greg for tuning up and conversion to a bass circuit. Each of those amps is less expensive than the original pieces that they are copying, they are better built, and having AB'd the Granger against an original 1966 single OT JTM 100, I'm satisfied that each of them sounds as good as an original. The Rockitt frankly sounds BETTER than the '71 lead spec amp that I had. If you want them as collectors pieces, I'd say buy the very best example that you can get. If you want one to play, seriously consider going the clone route because you'll get a better piece of equipment for less money - and often one that carries a fantastic warranty. I've also spoken to all three of the guys that built my amps, and I've met Kevin of Rockitt Retro and Curt of Granger amplification in person and they really care about doing right by their customers.

Just my .02...

This makes perfect sense. When I got my Marshall JCM 800 Studio Classic I could have bought an 80's (50W or 100W) JCM 800 for a similar price. Besides the fact that I didn't need that much power for my basement, I just didn't want to deal with undoing mods, repairing damage done by well-intentioned non-technicians, and parts approaching end of life. I only wanted a Marshall to play, so new was better for me. :)

NMV87

Reaction score
I would have no qualms about buying a vintage amp such as a early 70's Marshall JMP aslong as the amp itself has not been played around with to much. I purchased my first ever vintage Marshall amp last year (a 1976 Marshall 50 watt JMP) for a really killer price (950 Euro's ) and it was one of the best decisions that I ever made. I sent it straight to a tech for a complete once over and also had a OEM replacement PT installed (which I purchased off a fellow forum member here). The amp is an absolute beast and gives up the goods in terms of gain quite quickly.

matttornado

Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of money. My neighbor just sold a practically mint 1971 50 watt 1987 for 2 grand. He literally payed 25 cents for it at a yard sale about 25 years ago!!!!!

Both the buyer and seller were very happy. I'd try and talk him down to at least 2500 if I were you.

JKSL

Reaction score
That's a nice amp, it's right in the the price range those are going for these days, and it's unlikely to go down in value. From the 2nd photo it appears it may have 6550s in it which was pretty typical in the '70s. If you want vintage get vintage, don't let anyone talk you out of it. I have the identical twin to that amp. I had it gone through by a great local tech shortly after I got it and I've been gigging and recording with it ever since with zero issues. Same goes for all my amps from the '50s - '70s. If you get a nice, unmolested, vintage amp and you are diligent with maintenance you will be fine, even more since you intend for it to live at home.

I meant to add that the small box drives up the price. An early '70s large box 50w could probably be had for closer to $2500 (or less like the guy above).

Geeze

Reaction score
I swore years ago after owning a '63 Super I'd never own another vintage amp. Then old Marshalls popped up. Now I have a '76 & '78 JMP2203 and a '79 JMP2204. I play mostly at home but when I can jam out they are glorious.

When I buy older amps I expect to have to recap and have them gone through to put them at peak performance.

Russ

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
I probably should have clarified. I’m just looking for something to enjoy at home. Zero plans to drag this out. I’m not going to play anywhere I could use something this loud.

But yeah, smoking an original transformer messing around at home sounds pretty awful!

You can buy a clone, or have one built for less money. It will resemble the look of a vintage Marshall. It will resemble the sound of a vintage Marshall. But at the end of the day it won’t BE a vintage Marshall.

I have a room half full of amps, modern and vintage, Fender, Vox and Marshall. All of my vintage Marshalls have been superior.

Highnumbers

Reaction score
There are some lesser known gems in the Marshall lineup, particularly in the early 70s 50 watt amps.

For that sort of budget, I would be looking for a 2100 Lead & Bass 50 (head or combo), incredibly versatile amps that don't get the recognition they deserve because they're somewhat hard to find. Easily under $3K when they turn up, sometimes much less.

I have a '75 2100 50-watt and it's seriously great, albeit super loud.

neikeel

Reaction score
If it is for home use why not buy a good original? You will need a decent cab and some form of attenuation to get the best tones.
The amp in the link above will not sound like it should (someone has removed the 0.68uF cap over V1b and the board mods suggest a fried rectifier/snubbers/PT situation in the amps past - very common but it looks like it could do with some TLC by someone who knows what they are doing and what it should sound like.
Which is the main issue about buying an original. If you don't know what you should be getting and how much you can potentially get reamed a clone by someone as good as Greg G might be a good option. If you were in the UK I have a couple that could be considered (originals and clones).

southbound suarez

Reaction score
Just sold a circa 1973 SuperLead circuit board amp on Reverb and almost have remorse after seeing what others are offering at much steeper pricing..... But then again look at how long they have been sitting for with nobody pulling the trigger....
Owning Vintage amps is like a hobby in and of itself.
I enjoy working on and restoring these amps to their former glory. It isn't really rocket science. It's fairly easy to get these back into fairly orig condition and where they can be bulletproof and reliable. After seeing what's on Reverb today, I would expect to take any amp purchase straight to a trusted tech to have them go through it. A good tech for under 300 bucks can make most decent vintage amp purchases right.
Luckily I can do this myself.
Most all of the listings I see on Reverb are excessively priced in my opinion.
All those amps are ones that I would look for locally as bargain fixer uppers.
My #1959 Superlead mK 2 sold for 2300 the same day.... Not sure if I sold it too low (it was a circuit board amp after all,) or if it was just because it was so minty clean! Keep an eye out for all orig. Or as close to original and budget in additional for tech work and acquire a collection of new production and also vintage tubes to roll thru your amp.
I enjoy collecting vintage and can do my own tech. But also I have some big wads of cash in vintage. With the economy and such I have slowly been realeasing my herd and the 1959 was one more to go.. I can easily build clones that will give me the same tone. .Even with the most expensive boutique parts a clone is going cost at most half the cost of my vintage but I am sure the tone will still be there.... One of my amps I let go, is irreplaceable, at least as I can afford,,,, however it is also the most prolific, cheaper and easier amps to clone...
In fact that's what Jim did in the beginning too....
I get emotionally attached to some of my materialistic endeavors but It's getting easier to let go..... Vintage is project and a hobby. There are many ways to actually get the tone without the vintage price tag.

southbound suarez

Reaction score
Just followed the link and noticed this amp sold.
It definitely a better example then many others. The price seemed at the upper end of the spectrum in my opinion. I would grade this one at 75%-80% and would consider it at 75-80% the price that this one was at ..... But that's just me and my opinion and I might have fallen and hit my head or just plain don't know.
Once again, I do my own amp work. I would prefer a nonworking all original stock factory components amp , as opposed to a working amp that has been previously repaired. Especially with non period correct parts. Such as seen with the orange drop caps seen here.