• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

After Marshall, what's your favorite amp brand?

• Thread starter mott555
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1482.jpg

Man , I was at home the other day . I keep my 1482 "loaded" in the family room , the "play while watchin TV "amp. IT has written a couple songs that way.
I forgot that I put a 100pf cap across the instrument vol pot to clear up some of the darkness. Every guitar I put into it sounded killer. A very "Eagles" sounding overdrive ....I usually play harmonica out of the mic channel, forgot how good it sounds for guitar .Looking fwd to using it on next record

There are no particular "brands" I tend to follow . I like buying fckd up Fender Silverfaces cheap and re-wiring 'em to some tweed config.

One of the coolest things about this 35+ year guitar journey / education is finding obscure forgotten tube amps from way back.......

Massie Lancer,basically a Tweed Deluxe that I snagged at GC for $49

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcTlkGvwGRo"]Alvin Youngblood Hart's Pawnshop Plunder _ Massie 363 Lancer - YouTube[/ame]

Kalamazoo Model One ...

A 60s dept store MIJ jewel , Gemhill . I left the price tag on for many years . It was dubbed the Minnie Pearl amp....

I like these OK ,although I re-wire the preamp to tweed bassman specs too

Sovtek MiG 50s been on the scene for quite awhile .My main amps in Europe the last dozen years or so

mott555

Reaction score
Peavey's all right. I used to have a 6505+, until I finally played a Marshall.

The JSX was originally designed for Joe Satriani, right?

Marshall Gibson

Reaction score
Peavey's all right. I used to have a 6505+, until I finally played a Marshall.

The JSX was originally designed for Joe Satriani, right?

Yes it's essentially a Triple XXX with a few extras, there isn't comparing Marshall and the high gain Peaveys they're different beasts. :shred:

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Wizard and Fender amps are awesome! I think I'd put Peavey in there too, I love the old Peavey Mace, that Skynyrd used.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I love the old Peavey Mace, that Skynyrd used.

I'm not a big Skynyrd guy, but I got a lot of respect for Rossington, so i'd love to grab one of those Mace or Deuce amps.

But seriously, what's not to love about Peavey (sans brand snobbery)? Even their solid state amps sound pretty damn good, and a lot of their stuff is affordable.

mott555

Reaction score
I need to try a ValveKing again. I used to have a combo but at the time I was in the "More gain is better" camp and I don't think I properly appreciated it, because I ran it clean with a Metal Zone out front. Probably not as good as my Marshall, but I'd like to know what I missed when I was stupider.

drewbertca

Reaction score
My Rankings:
1 - Vintage Traynor
2 - Marshal (JTM 50 specifically) tied with Fender Excelsior
3 - Epiphone - love my Valve Jr
4 - Modern Traynor

chuckelator

Reaction score
Dr Z, for the vintage style stuff, and Soldano for the more modern style amp (honestly, the SLO 100 is the holy-grail for me, I've heard them so many times, but have never been fortunate enough to play one, and they're out of the price range of mere mortals like myself.)

chuckelator

Reaction score
I'm not a big Skynyrd guy, but I got a lot of respect for Rossington, so i'd love to grab one of those Mace or Deuce amps.

But seriously, what's not to love about Peavey (sans brand snobbery)? Even their solid state amps sound pretty damn good, and a lot of their stuff is affordable.

Buddy of mine had a Peavey Deuce for the longest time, and while he upgraded to something a bit nicer, he did say that it never let him down, and sounded pretty decent.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hated those Peavey hybrid amps ....played em for years as a teen
I heard AC had a hidden Marshall in the back after the Peavey endorsement ........

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Pretty much nothing.
I do like a few small Fender amps for Strat tones and maybe the old Peavey Classic series for a JCM 800 type of tone. But for full-on rock and metal, only Marshalls have what I need.

If there were replacements, I'd own them.

Ghostman

Reaction score
It's not an amp but if I had the chance to own one again, this would be my go-to preamp. I miss this thing dearly!!

Tubefex.jpg

Latest posts