• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Aging Amplifiers Mayhem

• Thread starter Maçon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Clammy

Reaction score
Jeez... this "relic'ing" trend has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever witnessed... Purposely damaging equipment, to make it seem "played"? Yeah, that's S-M-R-T smart, all right... :rolleyes:

Ken

Reaction score
"Patina" is age from wear. There are no shortcuts. My 1976 Les Paul that I bought new has wear from 35 odd years of being played. It doesn't look like it was dragged to death down the highway.

Hacking up otherwise good condition equipment is pointless IMHO. It's a fake, a fraud, and it's ugly.

But hey, you bought it, it's yours to destroy.

Ken

Reckless_Life

Reaction score
not true, look closer, at the concept, barfight-aged Metallica, BLS stuff...

Man, you wrote "...how to beautifully age an amp..."
Not even in the slightest does that look aged or reliced or beautiful.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, it's aged to show it's beautiful MDF wood grain underneath the tolex. How f*cked is that? There's more I could say but my momma said "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

Salty Rose

Reaction score
This is a joke, right?

The whole "relic" thing is just lame anyways. Makes more sense to me, to look to score an old insturment with barely any wear, than a brand new one with 'fake' wear.

Lowlife

Reaction score
I think you overdid it with the guitar, all those scratches, you'll never see that at a guitar that has been used loads....as someone said, looks like an angry girlfriend and/or 1½ year old child armed with a screwdriver.

Admitted i thought the amp looked a bit cool. If you look away from the grillcloth and cone mayhem, it could have looked like the real thing.

and yeah, i immediately checked what amp you massacred and also thought...."ah it was only a MG".

I'll never relic any of my gear artificially, it goes beyond my comprehension, but each to his own I guess

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
damn guys. i don't like it either but shit down his throat already.

anyway if it works for you man that's cool. nothing wrong with self expression. I admit i feel the same way everyone else here does about it but one mans treasure is another mans trash....or something like that.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
damn guys. i don't like it either but shit down his throat already.

anyway if it works for you man that's cool. nothing wrong with self expression. I admit i feel the same way everyone else here does about it but one mans treasure is another mans trash....or something like that.

Sorry, wasn't my intention to be a jerk, I guess I felt a bit froggy yesterday as I've been home sick for the last week. It your stuff, if YOU dig it that's totally cool.

Don't get much about the whole relic thing, but, I thought it was to mimic use not destruction. Maybe on your next creation you look at how the stuff would wear through use and not being used as weaponry.

hbach

Reaction score
To each their own. But man! I hope you don't treat your girlfriend like that.

Maçon

Reaction score
thanx, but they were work-in-progresses, the amp is accidentally got damaged but the guitar is still 'under wraps' until I can get some sand paper...
AgeGuitarTop.jpg
AgedHardware.jpg

Maçon

Reaction score
check this, my Ceramic bridge pickup has A5 polepieces placed in the treble strings position and softens up and give it a new soft creamy sound!!!

Latest posts