Amp building

• Thread starter FLICKOFLASH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FLICKOFLASH

Reaction score

fiftycalibre

Reaction score
I have a mate who builds amps and cabs. He built the AX84 HI-Octane from this site and it sounds very good.

I want to have a crack at the November model.

Just keep in mind, valve/tube amps have leathal voltages, even when unplugged from the mains.

timstoel

Reaction score
I've built a couple of amps, and heavily modified non guitar amps into being guitar amps. The hardest part is being able to do the metal and woodwork required. Good starter projects are a Champ clone or any of the Matchless amps. They are relatively small, inexpensive, and the parts are easy to get. It always takes longer than you think it will, but it is always worth the trouble. Another idea is to find a "dud" amp and make it into something really nice. You can start with the metal chassis, and build a new amp in it. Just make sure what you want to do fits and works with the existing holes. Then, you could retolex the cabinet and put on new grill cloth and a new speaker. Or, just build a head, it's a lot simpler to start with. Tip - make friends with someone with a metal shop!

Tim

Latest posts