• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Amp For An Apartment

• Thread starter justinrhoads80
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
Hey guys so i am going to be moving into an apartment within 2 months and i obviously am not going to be able to play my marshall at the volumes i would like to and the lower volumes i just find them to sound terrible.

I want to get a smaller amp that has a great sound and has lots of good features and is a high quality amp. I am seriously considering getting the boss katana 50w, and i just wanted to know if this is the best option for me. And the only thing i will not consider is the line 6 spider. I tried one of the newer ones at very recently and did not like it and i would not put my money into that.

Any suggestions?

BftGibson

Reaction score
i go bonkers on this..cause i play every amp i own at bedroom levels if need be...my wife is hurt & it forced my gear inside so i can keep an eye on her..so my BR is now my fav room ever ..lol..but in all seriousness..i get the best tone at super low level..on a chair close to my 4x12 cab with the master down..boost a hair for depth..its almost hi-fi in a way & you can still work on the amp you will take to studio or gig

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hey guys so i am going to be moving into an apartment within 2 months and i obviously am not going to be able to play my marshall at the volumes i would like to and the lower volumes i just find them to sound terrible.

I want to get a smaller amp that has a great sound and has lots of good features and is a high quality amp. I am seriously considering getting the boss katana 50w, and i just wanted to know if this is the best option for me. And the only thing i will not consider is the line 6 spider. I tried one of the newer ones at very recently and did not like it and i would not put my money into that.

Any suggestions?

It's really a matter of home recording studio / headphones. You need a really good sound with headphones, and you need good headphones.

Because any amp played in an apartment is not going over well w/ the neighbors / landlord. Let's face it.

mAx___

Reaction score

Any suggestions?
What Marshall do you have right now. I have great results playing my 4x12 at full volume inside an isolation cab I built with wood cuts from Home Depot and 2" acousting foam. Previously I did the same with a 2x12. In both cases the volume I hear from the cab is not louder than a normal conversation. Cost: $200. I put a microphone inside connected to my audio interface and can play and record at all times at full volume without bothering anybody. Plus the sound that comes from the mic is much more pleasant and easy to manage than what you can hear by playing in front of the speakers.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
What Marshall do you have right now. I have great results playing my 4x12 at full volume inside an isolation cab I built with wood cuts from Home Depot and 2" acousting foam. Previously I did the same with a 2x12. In both cases the volume I hear is not louder than a normal conversation. Cost: $200.

If you are using iso cab you need good mic, good mixer, good headphones. Then you have everything you need for an apartment.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Any suggestions?
Get something solid state with headphones. I really enjoyed my Marshall MG with headphones when I had one, get the 30 watt combo for instance.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I didn't really even have to quiet down, but I went this route, just so, that I can dial in almost any sound, at any time, at any volume.

The only sound I can't dial in (well I can) is 100db at 4db...

products_rack-front.jpg

ido1957

Reaction score

Any suggestions?

Nothing beats the sound of a loud amp (loud is relative of course).
I expect a decade from now I will downsize to an apartment, and I will be faced with the same issue.

I recently tried a few smaller combos including Marshall. I am now using a Katana 100.
I would say the dirt channels are meh, but if you tweak them you can get some decent sounds.
The Boss Tone Central has a bunch of good ideas you can download.

It has a ton of headroom, three power settings along with an excellent headphone sound.
(I use Sennheisers or AKG). It is versatile as it can do pubs and bedrooms equally well (IMHO).
The 100 has a couple of extra features and only weighs 30lbs (I would pass on the 50).

Good luck :)

Derek S

Reaction score
It's really a matter of home recording studio / headphones. You need a really good sound with headphones, and you need good headphones.

Because any amp played in an apartment is not going over well w/ the neighbors / landlord. Let's face it.
Gotta go with the madscientist on this...NO amp is really gonna work out well except possibly something like those little pignose type things (which are cool tho!). I'd go for a kickass unit like the Axe FX series, L6 Helix, etc, run it into your PC/DAW and with some decent desktop speakers to monitor (or even pwr'd monitors) you should be able to do everything from low vol practice, recording, jam along to tunes, etc...and with no pissing off other tenants.

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
If I may ask, you have a price range, head and cab or combo......

I've had the Boss Katana. Great amp and effects, computer editing is top notch. I just did not like all the dirt sounds were the same sounding to me..

No more than 300 and preferably a combo.

I didn't really even have to quiet down, but I went this route, just so, that I can dial in almost any sound, at any time, at any volume.

The only sound I can't dial in (well I can) is 100db at 4db...

products_rack-front.jpg

Man i already plan on getting a kemper. Just need somethin temporary for right now otherwise i would own a kemper

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
If you want a small plexi sounding thing, Blackstar's sound pretty decent for practicing. I've played them at GC's & thought they sound pretty plexi'ish. Their only problem though, is whenever I see someone using them live, they don't cut through the band mix. For home practice, that doesn't really matter... IMO, anyway, YMMV...

I haven't tried this one, but...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ii-1-watt-1x8-inch-tube-combo-amp-with-reverb

Reaction score
The Yamaha THR series. Mine is the TRH 10X for more gain. 10 watts, stereo, really nice sounding fx, headphone jack, line in, 5 programmable presets. Sounds really good and kicks it OK for a 10 watt SS amp.
Or a Code. Can't speak for the Katana.

THR10-large.jpg
^This was gonna be my suggestion as well. I don't have one, but the one I tried out sounded amazingly good to me. I'm probably gonna eventually get one myself, in fact.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
^This was gonna be my suggestion as well. I don't have one, but the one I tried out sounded amazingly good to me. I'm probably gonna eventually get one myself, in fact.
The stereo fx are really amazing. Lots of control on it. I usually use it to work on songs test things or just noodle. It's easy and battery operated as an option.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
If you have a computer and a DAW, just keep your amp and get a load box. Run that signal into your DAW with some guitar cab Impulse responses. You can then use monitors or headphones and it can sound as good as your favorite recordings.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
If you have a computer and a DAW, just keep your amp and get a load box. Run that signal into your DAW with some guitar cab Impulse responses. You can then use monitors or headphones and it can sound as good as your favorite recordings.
But... but.... a new amp is a new toy!!