Amp Mod Value Over Amp Mod Functionality

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've always heard that amp mods detract value not add value. With that said, my 1959 SLP came with a LarMar PPIMV installed, I was very happy it had it, I had planned on installing one any way so the previous owner saved me the trouble, so it was worth buying this modded amp over a stock amp, saved me the cost of the mod.

In the long run I determined sound wise I prefer running the amp with an attenuator and the PPIMV off. So here is my issue, if and when I ever sell this amp am I better off leaving the PPIMV installed or remove it? This will leave a hole in the back panel. One thought is just leave it alone, another thought is remove the PPIMV and add another hole to install a Metro loop. Last option is move the PPIMV to a speaker jack and install the Metro loop.

What says you will maintain the most value of this 100 watt beast? More holes and more functionality or less holes and less functionality?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I've always heard that amp mods detract value not add value. With that said, my 1959 SLP came with a LarMar PPIMV installed, I was very happy it had it, I had planned on installing one any way so the previous owner saved me the trouble, so it was worth buying this modded amp over a stock amp, saved me the cost of the mod.

In the long run I determined sound wise I prefer running the amp with an attenuator and the PPIMV off. So here is my issue, if and when I ever sell this amp am I better off leaving the PPIMV installed or remove it? This will leave a hole in the back panel. One thought is just leave it alone, another thought is remove the PPIMV and add another hole to install a Metro loop. Last option is move the PPIMV to a speaker jack and install the Metro loop.

What says you will maintain the most value of this 100 watt beast? More holes and more functionality or less holes and less functionality?
Don't think I'd worry too much about the resale value, as it just depends on what a buyer is looking for. IMO, an amp is always worth more untouched. With a hole drilled, you can't put the amp back to 100% original, at least cosmetically, so might as well leave it as is. As for using the hole for a loop, I'd say it depends on whether you want or would use a loop, not how adding a loop would affect resale. Adding a loop, or any mod that requires $$, is throwing money into an amp that most likely will not be recovered. My 2 cents

Last edited:

RLW59

Reaction score
For me, the biggest devalution from mods comes from extra holes. But not really sure if two extra holes is any worse than 1 extra.

Forgive me for not remembering how "hands on" you are -- when you say remove the MV and add a loop, do you mean "do it yourself" or "pay someone to do it"?

If you have to pay someone, you could put that money toward a TAE or PowerStation which besides attenuation would give you a post power tube fx loop.

Since you're cranking your amp through an attenuator, power tube distortion is part of your sound. An amp loop before the power tubes would have power tube distortion added on top of the effects in the loop, which kind of defeats the purpose of a loop.

(Even if you'd do the work yourself, I'd still lean toward a re-amper.)

TheKman76

Reaction score
I'll ask the philosophical question: What has greater value to you, the dollars you'll get when you're done with it, or the features and tones you get while you use it?

My answer is always the latter. Do what you will with it, as long as you enjoy it along the way.

That said, I like @RLW59 's suggestion a lot.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
If you like just a little breakup or are just getting a little lower volume the FX loop still works fine especially for cleaner sounds. IMO DIY whatever you want, why would you sell your favorite amp after you have customized it to your liking? And, let the buyer, if you ever do sell it, determine if they want it or not. Set your price and wait.

Also I get sentimental over my creations. I can't imagine selling.

Function over Value for me.

V-man

Reaction score
Hole in chassis = headstock break. OT replaced = twisted neck.

You’re screwed as is. It’s butchered, hacked, or “improved with the added convenience.” Spending good money in hopes of improving resale to those in the market with minimal interest in your “hacked” amp unless/until it the price plummets to a point they have to get over themselves is money wasted.

If I have a 1972 LP custom with a HS break, no $2,000 resto/refin is going to put it on par with an “unfucked” ‘72 Custom, even though my HS joint is stronger than stock and it sounds marginally better. The $200 repair and the hit as is would be no worse and possibly better to your losses investing the $2k.

playloud

Reaction score
Hole in chassis = headstock break. OT replaced = twisted neck.

You’re screwed as is. It’s butchered, hacked, or “improved with the added convenience.” Spending good money in hopes of improving resale to those in the market with minimal interest in your “hacked” amp unless/until it the price plummets to a point they have to get over themselves is money wasted.

Those are ludicrous analogies. Especially in this case, when identical OTs are still readily available (and many of the alternatives are genuine 'upgrades'). Even in the case of vintage amps, the impact of replaced OTs varies widely, depending on the specific amp/how widely available correct replacements are (e.g. I'd rather have to track down a RS Deluxe than a Drake 1202-132!)

I suspect, in general, PPIMVs have declined in popularity as reactive loads and reamp devices have become more common. Nonetheless, I'd have no issues whatsoever buying a 1959SLP with one installed (although I would remove it ASAP). The ideal setup would use one of the speaker jacks, for total "reversibility", but a single hole is NBD...

I wouldn't install the Metro FX loop with the intention of increasing resale value (I doubt you'd recover the outlay on the other side). If you plan to make use of it in the meantime, however, go right ahead. I doubt we're talking about big money here, whatever you do.

V-man

Reaction score
Those are ludicrous analogies. Especially in this case, when identical OTs are still readily available (and many of the alternatives are genuine 'upgrades'). Even in the case of vintage amps, the impact of replaced OTs varies widely, depending on the specific amp/how widely available correct replacements are (e.g. I'd rather have to track down a RS Deluxe than a Drake 1202-132!)

I suspect, in general, PPIMVs have declined in popularity as reactive loads and reamp devices have become more common. Nonetheless, I'd have no issues whatsoever buying a 1959SLP with one installed (although I would remove it ASAP). The ideal setup would use one of the speaker jacks, for total "reversibility", but a single hole is NBD...

I wouldn't install the Metro FX loop with the intention of increasing resale value (I doubt you'd recover the outlay on the other side). If you plan to make use of it in the meantime, however, go right ahead. I doubt we're talking about big money here, whatever you do.

On one hand I could just go with your claim and say: “hey, I hear you… kind of ludicrous when you do think about it.” But here’s the problem, Jack - Ludicrous, ignorant, illogical, superstitious, what have you DOES NOT make it untrue, and if you find my statement utterly false, you are unfortunately quite delusional.

Oh, I’d get such and such ’drying up into unobtainium‘ amp, and a little hole would not be a big deal.“ Would you now? And who with stupid money would not buy a documented ‘59 burst that played terrifically despite two headstock breaks?! It is ONLY by virtue of the “unobtanium” aspect baked in that buyers don’t discriminate. Go try that shit with a 2000s-era R9 or a 2010s-era drilled 1959HW and see what happens with the salability at comparable price points to the unbroken/unmolested. Hell, If it’s ONE hole being NBD, why not just tap an unmolested ‘68 just to prove it? That “port” may prove useful!

And the answer comes from the other side of the coin: no matter how “Ludicrous, ignorant, illogical, or superstitious, the sentiment I captured may be (notwithstanding the FACT it is correct to the general market), your response is utterly absurd. OT missing? Hell, if you have a seller trying to make a point of that on your vintage amp, just tell him to “stop at the local Hertz, rent a ‘68 Shelby Fastback and head out to an open Blockbuster Video for a quick rental, then pop by the shop for a quad of GE 6550s, before picking up a that readily-replaceable vintage OT.“

What?! Tell me somewhere that every one of those things is not obtainable somewhere today. Oh, it’s such a colossal PITA to source and purchase reasonably to the average buyer who does NOT do his own amp work much less have a decades-long rapport with 2 of the handful of people on the planet who have that shit with any regularity? Um, no.… unless we are referring to a contemporary item (say, built within the last 10 years) which also suggests it is plentiful enough to ignore the hacked one entirely if there is not a price incentive to do otherwise.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here is my issue, if and when I ever sell this amp am I better off leaving the PPIMV installed or remove it? This will leave a hole in the back panel. One thought is just leave it alone, another thought is remove the PPIMV and add another hole to install a Metro loop. Last option is move the PPIMV to a speaker jack and install the Metro loop.

If you want to sell it, don't spend more money on changes for a perceived increase in value - sell it "as is".
If the buyer wants to spend money on changing it, that's their call.
If you want to keep it, and you want to make changes, make the changes that YOU want.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
If you want to sell it, don't spend more money on changes for a perceived increase in value - sell it "as is".
If the buyer wants to spend money on changing it, that's their call.
If you want to keep it, and you want to make changes, make the changes that YOU want.
I'm not planning on selling it now but its 100 watts more than I probably need so maybe down the road possibly. The PPIMV I don't use, I thought I might like to see how a loop might increase the amps functionality but will require more drilling, I really like the loop in my SV20H so I thought I'd like to add one to my 1959.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not planning on selling it now but its 100 watts more than I probably need so maybe down the road possibly. The PPIMV I don't use, I thought I might like to see how a loop might increase the amps functionality but will require more drilling, I really like the loop in my SV20H so I thought I'd like to add one to my 1959.
Then do the mods you want, and do them the way you want them, not the way you think may (or may not) alter the amp's future value.
If - when you sell, it will be what it will be, but until then, it will be what you want.

Smellytele

Reaction score
I'll ask the philosophical question: What has greater value to you, the dollars you'll get when you're done with it, or the features and tones you get while you use it?

My answer is always the latter. Do what you will with it, as long as you enjoy it along the way.

That said, I like @RLW59 's suggestion a lot.
Could not agree more. If you dig the amp, just enjoy it and don't worry about resale value. Especially since it's a reissue, which in my opinion makes it a good candidate for trying some small mods (though I wouldn't go with an fx loop in that amp). I had my SLP modded to as close to 68 specs as my tech could get it and also had him put in a small mini toggle that switches between the original bright cap, 100pf, and no cap. It helped make the amp a bit more versatile across the volume sweep, but in the end I prefer the original cap, just in case you were wondering. Anyway, put your money towards a Power Station and you've got a killer rig that'll make you happy for years and years. My 2 cents.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Paul,

I don’t, and never have, given any serious thought about the resale value of any of my gear. If I want to change something out, it’s not like my gear is special or rare.

If I owned a stock 59 Burst or a stock mint 1960s 1959SL, or 1970s 2203, yeah, I wouldn’t do anything to those.

That’s me though, I know guys that are constantly thinking about resale value, more than anything else it seems.