• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

amp recommendations....need some guidance

• Thread starter Dizzyg12
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
i'm not in a band, just a hobbyist but I enjoy the hell out of my valvestate vs265....that is until it started crapping out on me. I don't think it's worth repairing so i'm looking for a new amp.

I play a les paul trad...usually straight into the amp (the other had built in OD and chorus), sometimes with a multieffects board which I'm not a big fan of. i'm kind of a purist and would want something with awesome cleans but the ability to go into OD for the hard rock, leads, solos, etc.

I hear alot of good things about the class 5 amp, but I'm not sure about it as it would likely take some pedal work to get the heavy stuff? I do like the fact that this is a tube amp and affordable!

I see an MG and an MA series out there as well that look to have on board OD channels which may be more up my alley. I'm concerned that these would be too loud for home aka "bedroom" use. I'm not worried about pissing off the neighbors, they can go pound sand, but I don't necessarily need to blow the roof of my house. Can these amps play at low volumes without losing the tones?

any other recommendations are appreciated!

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
les paul + Boss sd-1 + class5= winning.:thumb:

as far as the neighbors go either fook 'em or use the headphone jack.

Keeb

Reaction score
Get a 6100. Save if you have to.

Yep. Although they are 100w marshalls you can get a good "bedroom level" sound from it due to the many choices and the low volume compensation.
It's a beast of versatility.

The MG you are referring to is a solid state amp (so is your valvestate). This means you get pretty much the same sound out of it on low volumes as on high volumes. Of course a loud guitar amp sounds better because of the "fullness" and the thump.

I've never played an MA but I haven't heard that much good about it... The class 5 is a great choice for a small marshall. You can blast it with pedals to make it go where you want to.

spacerocker

Reaction score
i'm not in a band, just a hobbyist but I enjoy the hell out of my valvestate vs265....that is until it started crapping out on me. I don't think it's worth repairing so i'm looking for a new amp.

If you like the amp (some of the Valvestates sound great!) why not just get it repaired? it could be just an input socket, or a pre-amp valve that needs replacing. If so it could be very cheap to fix!....

Or are you using it as an excuse for a new amp? if so, just admit it and go for it, if that's what you want!

If you want great rock-tones that can go very high gain, and great cleans (and can afford it!) - a JVM410 takes some beating!

If you want great classic tones, great cleans, searing leads, and high-gain sounds, a modded JVM is unbeatable IMO!

poeman33

Reaction score
A DSL will sound good at any volume. A DSL and a 2x12 is a great combination for a hobbyist. Or say WTH and get a 4x12 and enjoy.

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
If you like the amp (some of the Valvestates sound great!) why not just get it repaired? it could be just an input socket, or a pre-amp valve that needs replacing. If so it could be very cheap to fix!....

Or are you using it as an excuse for a new amp? if so, just admit it and go for it, if that's what you want!

If you want great rock-tones that can go very high gain, and great cleans (and can afford it!) - a JVM410 takes some beating!

If you want great classic tones, great cleans, searing leads, and high-gain sounds, a modded JVM is unbeatable IMO!

I had a tech look at it and fix some solder joints on the footswitch jack and other spots. It is humming like crazy no matter my location or guitar. The tech seems to think its a bad transformer, which can be $100+ repair. On an amp that I can buy used for $200 its not worth it.

I like that the Class 5 has the headphone/low volume switch in the back. my valvestate has a "power dimension" button that does the same sort of thing, but it's still loud as hell, so practicing on that is hard with the family at home...which is why I love working from home....EMPTY HOUSE :D

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
Oh....I should probably mention I'd like to keep this around $500-800 if possible.

spacerocker

Reaction score
I had a tech look at it and fix some solder joints on the footswitch jack and other spots. It is humming like crazy no matter my location or guitar. The tech seems to think its a bad transformer, which can be $100+ repair.

Hmm...not sure about this, doesn't seem likely to me. Is there someone else who can look at it?

I like that the Class 5 has the headphone/low volume switch in the back. my valvestate has a "power dimension" button that does the same sort of thing, but it's still loud as hell, so practicing on that is hard with the family at home...which is why I love working from home....EMPTY HOUSE :D

I haven't tried a class 5, so shouldn't really comment, - but don't they need to be wound up pretty loud to sound good?

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a tech look at it and fix some solder joints on the footswitch jack and other spots. It is humming like crazy no matter my location or guitar. The tech seems to think its a bad transformer, which can be $100+ repair. On an amp that I can buy used for $200 its not worth it.

good cables?
are you playing near a tv or computer?- that might be your buzz & hum.
is it an old house w/ no ground pin on your outlets?
playing a s/s/s/ stratocaster?

transformers don't usually get noisy in my experience. they either provide power or not.

Last edited:

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
good cables?
are you playing near a tv or computer?- that might be your buzz & hum.
is it an old house w/ no ground pin on your outlets?
playing a s/s/s/ stratocaster?

transformers don't usually get noisy in my esperience. they either provide power or not.

yeah top of the line cables, it is an older house '68, but we just redid our kitchen with all brand new copper wiring and even on a fresh brand new circuit that only powers the outlets on our island, the amp still hums. I've tried it all over the house, and at my inlaws house, same everywhere. I replaced the preamp tube and even tried those Hum-X devices. Nothing even touches the hum. i'm convinced it's the amp going bad which is why i'm in the market for a new one.

Haven't thought of the Class-5 with an ext cabinet...interesting idea

Sidebrowns

Reaction score
5 Watts is great for a nice cranked sound at "lower" volumes but without the low power mode on the Class 5 it's much louder than you're thinking probably. If you live near a music store go try some stuff out. The C5 should sounds worlds better than the VS, but you should really try and play a few smaller amps out for yourself to see exactly what they sound like. I have a Blackheart Little Giant, (5W EL84 amp similar in design to the C5 but probably huge differences in the circuit) and really like it. I also played a Vox AC4TV in the store and loved both it's clean and dirty sounds, and it has a built in attenuator like the C5 but has adjustable levels, 4, 1, and 1/4 watt. Time to make a trip! :wave:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
it's WAY too loud and NOT EVEN CLOSE to enough gain for heavy stuff.

everything dimed WITH a clean boost would be CLOSE though.

I would suggest a JVM1 or 800 1 watt (if you can swing it) or a JMP 1 with a boost.

otherwise you're looking at SS or outside of Marshall.

I had to go outside and get an H&K Tubemeister and it's cool but i do wish it were a Marshall. It's got all the gain you need and can do most anything (needs the right cab, V30's are good but greenies are better) though. sounds like crap with my VOX lil NT cab but through my Mesa cabs it owns.

has a loop, is footswitchable and has a power attenuator down from silent record to 1-5-18 watts.

also has a slot you stick a pick in to bias it, has tube failure or over/under current LED's and looks like a fish tank.

If you want some heavy and clean clips i have them, just click a link in my sig and go to an H&K TM clip. I have two. one is me shredding a bit (or wanking to you old farts) and the other goes through each channel (at 5 watts) quickly with multpile pup settings and w and w/out boost.

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
5 Watts is great for a nice cranked sound at "lower" volumes but without the low power mode on the Class 5 it's much louder than you're thinking probably. If you live near a music store go try some stuff out. The C5 should sounds worlds better than the VS, but you should really try and play a few smaller amps out for yourself to see exactly what they sound like. I have a Blackheart Little Giant, (5W EL84 amp similar in design to the C5 but probably huge differences in the circuit) and really like it. I also played a Vox AC4TV in the store and loved both it's clean and dirty sounds, and it has a built in attenuator like the C5 but has adjustable levels, 4, 1, and 1/4 watt. Time to make a trip! :wave:

2 miles from guitar center! I'm going to test a bunch. They have so many though it's hard to know where to start.

Class 5
Ma50c
Dsl100 over budget but worth looking at

I think jvm are out of range for me....well I could afford it but can't justify it...lol

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
Justification: JVMs are awesome. Everyone will be envious of you. Your tone will make people explode in their pants. JVMs are awesome. It looks like you're super-smart because they have tons of knobs, even though 3/4 of them are all repeats for each channel. Oh, did I mention that JVMs are simply awesome?

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
Justification: JVMs are awesome. Everyone will be envious of you. Your tone will make people explode in their pants. JVMs are awesome. It looks like you're super-smart because they have tons of knobs, even though 3/4 of them are all repeats for each channel. Oh, did I mention that JVMs are simply awesome?

Well duh, but that's daycare for a month lol

JohnH

Reaction score
Id want to look at a Vintage Modern combo if I was you. Nominally 50W, but controllable down to very low volumes as well, due to it having the master volume after the phase invertor, as does my DSL401 combo.

You might also like a Haze 40 combo. As to the DSL401 that I use, its great and will do what you need, but dont get one unless you test and can see the potential because the fine capabilities of this amp are only revealed after all sorts of tweaking and changes to speaker, tubes, extention cab, EQ etc. At first impression, it can sound a bit thin.

I play at tiny volumes every day and find great tones from my 40W combo and 150W Powerblock. They get cranked up for rehearsals and gigs when needed.

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
Id want to look at a Vintage Modern combo if I was you. Nominally 50W, but controllable down to very low volumes as well, due to it having the master volume after the phase invertor, as does my DSL401 combo.

You might also like a Haze 40 combo. As to the DSL401 that I use, its great and will do what you need, but dont get one unless you test and can see the potential because the fine capabilities of this amp are only revealed after all sorts of tweaking and changes to speaker, tubes, extention cab, EQ etc. At first impression, it can sound a bit thin.

I play at tiny volumes every day and find great tones from my 40W combo and 150W Powerblock. They get cranked up for rehearsals and gigs when needed.
Yeah I'd like to find something that doesn't need a ton of tweaking. I'd rather play guitar, not roadie. Lol.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
If the VS amp is goosed, take out the amp lob it in the skip and turn the speakers from it into a 2x12 cab to use with any head. I know this is a well trodden road but, you really cannot go wrong with a DSL50/100 head. If you look at something to use with your 125 (ish) watt 2 x 12 cab, then the choice is endless. Decide what features you need reverb/effects/No. of channels find what fits best and go for it. You will be surprised how little you need to spend to get a kick ass set up using your VS speakers....Simples!! :dude: