• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Amp suggestion.

• Thread starter 40xxx04
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fryeguy

Reaction score
I disagree, I play a DSL100 thru the same cab and the red channel sounds great.

The DSL is a fantastic head.

The green channel sounds gorgeous and if you push it with a light OD or compression, it is balls out awesome, thick, rich, and snarls.

The red channel sounds great as well once you reset your EQ for all the same reasons as the green.

I know people bark about the shared eq all the time but if you simply cut the leg off 1 tiny cap, the shared eq is no longer a problem and the red channel will be voice just like the green except with more gain.

My DSL channels are used with MODE in on both channels, simply rolling the volume down on your guitar cleans them right up (apparently this is a lost skill)

I have had AND sold a 2555, 2203, and a 900.
My DSL has out classed them all.
I'm glad you like yours. I pushed the green channel on mine with a fulltone fulldrive 2 pedal & for a while there I thought my DSL was the sh*t too......until I picked up an '82 2204 Anniversary Series head that put every other amp I've ever played to shame. DSL is a decent amp, don't get me wrong, but a good vintage Marshall mops the floor with any modern Marshall any day of the week.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a JCM 2000 at GC for about $600. All stock parts. Will go for it :D
Although I got a feeling I would be spending more time playing once I get it so I can tame the beast :shred:

Try it out...see how it sounds. If you want settings to dial in just ask. The guyz here will give you some of their's I'm sure. They cool like that!:yesway:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Musican's Friend is practically giving away the Bad Cat Cougar 50H. It's basically a Chinese manufactured/ Bad Cat designed type deal, with spring reverb. Marshall-esqe. Very Marshall-esqe. It gets super clean, and it gets sickeningly distorted. $430! With that, you'd have money to purchase a real nice cab. I'm looking to snag one. Definitely consider.

Dohh , that's the amp in my avatar pic. Badass amp but mine quit. I took it back. I should have got it replaced.

Ken

Reaction score
I picked up a 98 DSL100 head last year for $550. It's all gain & very little tone. .

Sounds like a bad setup, starting with the bias. Factory is 90 mV but users always bias around 76-78 ish. Since you bought it used and it's a high gain amp, all new tubes are usually a good idea too. It's amazing how much punch you lose with old tubes.

I agree there's more gain on DSL's than necessary. I have my red channel gain around 2 and green never higher than 5. Then lastly the EQ...I've found the less you use the preamp tone controls the better. Mids are plenty high at 5, and bass/treble 0-2. Use the bass boost and put the presence on 10. This makes for a sweet, punchy tone.

As for a new amp to use, I second the VM suggestion. Get the 100 watt version, and be aware there's just one channel and a learning curve on EQ settings.

Ken

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first tube amp. Influences are Iommi, Blackmore, Gary Moore, Michael Schenker and Uli Roth. I play mostly old school metal ad 70s, 80s rock.

Budget: $1000 approx
New/used
Mainly to jam and possibly to gig
Own a mexi strat (s-s-s)
Been playing for a year.
Those are great influences and are among my favorite. I am not that good at emulating their sounds.
Michael and Uli only had an amp in common maybe , after that uli Strat with a fuzz pedal , Schenker with Gibson V (roomer to be T tops) a wah set in the sweet spot. And of course their playing styles.
DSL would be a good choice ivermo. The 40c works well how ever DSL 100w with a 4 x 12 (jam 800 or 900 cab) will get you very close.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Found a JCM 2000 at GC for about $600. All stock parts. Will go for it :D
Although I got a feeling I would be spending more time playing once I get it so I can tame the beast :shred:

Good choice !

Latest posts